Datalogger Setup 

Page 5 of 6 [ 78 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: Datalogger Setup
Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Matt,

Please read the guide I posted above - it very clearly states, along with the TechEdge diagram, that wblin should *NOT* be connected to the ECU. My previous posts above also say the same thing. To clarify again, you *only* want nbsim connected to the factory HEGO/nbo2 input.

The way you have it connected currently may have even blown the nbo2 input on the ecu - it does not expect 5v from the factory o2 sensor.

The logger configuration has little to do with the chip, so I'm unsure why you are tying the two together in this context.

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: FORD XD

QLD, Australia

galapogos01 wrote:

You don't need to touch the wb+/- unless you have a 5v gauge or ECU. You need to connect up the nbsim output to the stock o2 sensor input on the ecu, as explained elsewhere in this thread.

Cheers,
Jason

um ......

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:24 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: FORD XD

QLD, Australia

the_fig wrote:
ive read everything i thought i had it working but car still doesnt want to run properly i can start it up & drive it but for less then a minute but after that it just stalls

http://s870.photobucket.com/user/figgie ... 2.mp4.html

if you watch this you will here it chug as coming up to round about and i cant continue driving no throttle responce so i turn it off and turn it back on straight away and can take off no problems so i have no idea whats going on

i think its either the ECU isnt getting any info from 02 sensor or a faulty j3 chip

i have the wblin+ as pin 35
wblin - & GRND as pin 4
NBsim is the return for stock 02 sensor

so what pins should they be

allright this picture on there site doesn't make any bloody sence A-in A-out ?

so yeah i cant find any where it says do 'NOT' use WBlin+/- in any guide.

it only says do 'NOT' use NBsim when tuning so... how the hell am i supposed to tune a car that wont run because there is a problem with the J3 chip or the wideband sensor and information that contradicts itself

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Not sure why you're posting with a bit of an attitude when people are giving you free advice - you may want to tone it down a little!

In previous posts in this thread I mentioned that wblin was not required. Nowhere in this thread or any of my doco does it say to hook it up like you have, so not sure why you're upset with me!

Just be glad you have the answer and go fix it :-)

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Sorry for the stupid question. I have ordered the full-house tuning pack from TI Performance for tuning my EF and AU2 XR6s. The documentation talks about using the 2-bar GM map sensor. But my cars are not boosted, so can I use the map sensor from a N/A VN-VR Commodore for datalogging? (I'm assuming it's a 1-bar sensor.) If I can use it, would the configuration be different from the 2-bar sensor?

I'm a newb at tuning, not too crash hot on electronics, and want it to go as smoothly as possible. Thanks all.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hey Roger,

Yes, a 1-bar will work fine. The transfer you load into WinLog will need to be slightly different, but that should be simple to sort out. Just look oline for the Volts to inHg transfer for the sensor.

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Hey, Jase. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Another silly question: Has anyone tried to use the VSS input (repetitive 0-5V) to log knock counts from the knock sensor?

I believe the knock sensor is 5V and outputs a single pulse for each knock detected, so it would tend to increase with RPMs (if there is knock). But the main thing when logging knock is whether it exists at all, ie, a frequency of 1/second is important information – a frequency of zero is expected/normal.

Or am I trying to achieve the impossible? Thanks.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

That's not quite how the knock sensor works. It's basically a microphone tuned to the resonant frequency of the block. It picks up all kinds of noise, is amplified, filtered and sampled by the ECU to guess when knock is occuring.

You'll need a knock box, or det cans.

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Spot the total newb. I received my full-house tuning pack, and have it all wired up and talking to the laptop. Am having a few problems you guys may be able to help with:

1) Logging seems to be working just fine, as I can graph it in Winlogview. But the only thing that appears in the Winlog dash while I'm logging is RPM; everything else shows nothing at all. I have all the dials configured to the same ranges as Winlogview is displaying. What am I doing wrong?

2) The sampletime (y-axis) appears in the log graph as a six-digit number, not hr:min:sec. How do I show this in time format?

3) I am trying to pick up VSS from pin 58 (white wire) on the ECU, but am getting no voltage. Is this the wrong wire for VSS? The cruise control works, so I know I have a good speed signal.

4) I calibrated the WBO2 sensor by powering up the sensor and logger with the sensor fully-heated and in free air, and pressing the Calibrate button on the logger. The light flashed just as the manual said it should, so it was theoretically successful. With the car warmed up and idling, I am showing AFR of 11.5-11.6, which sounds extremely rich to me. Have I calibrated the sensor incorrectly? I notice there is a calibration utility in wbutil; should I be using that?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm getting so close I can taste it. Thanks for your help.

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

1. You need to rename each input to match the name the dash has configured, or open each dash widget and configure it for the default name. To be honest, doing the latter will be easier, as sometimes the config can be dropped. If you haven't done the former, you probably haven't configured each input transfer either (ie. 5v=100% TPS, etc).

2. Not sure if that's possible. I haven't tried.

3. Can't help there off the top of my head, there are pinouts on here though.

4. Sounds like you've done it right. It's possible the car will idle in the 11's when stone cold (cold start enrichment). Take it for a drive to get some heat in it and see where it starts cycling in OL.

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

1. Yep, have configured the input transfers, but didn't go into each gauge to make the names the same. D'oh.

2. I have seen screenshots of Winlog graphs with hr:min:sec along the bottom, so that was what I expected to see. So, what does the six digit number mean? How many per second?

3. Will double-check the connection at the ECU.

4. I'm seeing consistent 11.5-11.6 AFR at full operating temperature (coolant) and idling for several minutes. I would expect it to be in closed loop and aiming for stoich, as that hasn't been changed in the tune. Maybe it's not a tune problem, but a faulty injector or something similar.

Thanks for all the help.

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hi mate,

Not sure on the time scale. Try emailing the maker of WinLog?

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I worked out the time scale (by doing a log for exactly one minute) - it's counting 1000ths of a second. So, 123456 is 123.456 seconds. Could be useful calculating acceleration times accurately.

Everything is working fine except the vss signal. I checked the pinouts and earlier posts in this thread, and pin 58 (white wire) is correct, but it's still not working. I backprobed that pin on the ECU and got a constant 12V signal, according to multimeter. I thought it was supposed to be 0-5V and pulsed. The multimeter might not be able to pick up the pulsing, as it is likely too fast. But putting 12V into the pulse input on the datalogger has probably fried that circuit on the 2J9, if it was built to process 5V max. Any advice on where to go from here would be much appreciated.

I drove around today, logging about half an hour. I reset the ECU and disconnected nbsim beforehand to get a clean log of the commanded AFR. Set up the matrix view to match the cells in the bin. AFR was rich in all but three cells, averaging about 10% too much fuel (as much as 20% in some cells). I'll adjust the VE table this week to see how much difference it makes. Good fun!

Thanks for all the help.

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nice. Remember you're not always targeting 14.7 though - under load you want to be richer.

That signal smells right, it should be a 12v square wave. Make sure you have the right input and have a good earth. Also have you configured the divisor per the guide?

You can try logging the sensor itself (pre-dash) to see if that helps.

Jason

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Yeah, I'm targeting 12.5-13.1 at WOT, and 13.8-14.2 at idle. Most of the rest is 14.7 for now, but will play with leaning out overrun and cruise later.

That's a relief! I thought all the logger inputs had to be 0-5V. Must be a weak connection, as there is a signal at the ECU pin, but nothing at the logger.

Thanks heaps for all the help.

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 6  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next