Fordmods Logo

Dead EL ECU 

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Dead EL ECU
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

When the installation instructions are followed to the letter, there should be no issues with the connection. This includes using 400 grit on the terminals to get all of the clear lacquer off, and using metho to clean the terminals afterwards to remove oils which may cause the terminals to corrode.

A lot of people do not realise the clear lacquer is on both sides of the port under the factory "goo". This is often not cleaned off properly and will cause issues.

Also, when the port is scraped too much (down to copper) or if the chip is not taped in per the instructions, you will get intermittent connection issues over time due to movement on the port.

Properly installed they should work without issue. I can't remember the last time I removed mine, probably when I retuned it for 42lb injectors over a year ago. I value reliability myself, take a look at my car!

Happy to take a look at any chips people have had issues with, just send me a PM.

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:21 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

galapogos01 wrote:
When the installation instructions are followed to the letter, there should be no issues with the connection. This includes using 400 grit on the terminals to get all of the clear lacquer off, and using metho to clean the terminals afterwards to remove oils which may cause the terminals to corrode.

A lot of people do not realise the clear lacquer is on both sides of the port under the factory "goo". This is often not cleaned off properly and will cause issues.

Also, when the port is scraped too much (down to copper) or if the chip is not taped in per the instructions, you will get intermittent connection issues over time due to movement on the port.

Properly installed they should work without issue. I can't remember the last time I removed mine, probably when I retuned it for 42lb injectors over a year ago. I value reliability myself, take a look at my car!

Happy to take a look at any chips people have had issues with, just send me a PM.

Sorry galapogos01 if it came out as though I am blaming the chip for everything. The chip itself is fine, it's just over time, as you mentioned, the chip may see a bit of movement through vibrations. The gaffa tape I use moves over time due to the combination of 40 degree days and vibrations which caused me to have the intermittent connection issues. So the installation is to blame.

I have found a good solution to the problem, however have not put it to use since I haven't had issues for a year now. You can use cable ties (large ones or a combination of multiple ones) to hold the chip into place by wrapping it around the ECU and chip. I have come to realise, after a few years of racing motorcycles, that cable ties are a god send to holding things into place that come loose due to vibrations.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I'm with Phong...

Just a shame that the board uses that old ISX style connector... That was the style in that era though... If the chip were soldered on the ECU, and provided another connection to the programming, it would really be trouble free...

If I were to re-install mine I'd design something allowing my to solder onto the computer board and use a modern better style connector on it, allowing for plug and play that way...

Being able to install it "right" seems to be a work of art in itself...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Turbo EL

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the feedback Galapogos, I agree when following the intrusions most of these issues shouldn't arise. I had my chip installed whilst I had a dyno preformed and I don't think the port was cleaned at the time and we just fitted the chip no tape or anything to hold it in. Even when I contacted Paul who did the work he was happy to help with the issue as well.

Build Thread:
1998 Turbo EL Futura Sapphire

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2