Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Fuel filter replace.
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

I've just changed the fuel filter on the car because I thought it might be causing the surging I am getting at idle. I'm glad I did because when I got it out and tried to blow through it and I could hardly get any air through. Definate blockage.
Anyway I've fitted the new filter but its leaking very slowly at the forward fitting. I've done it up as tight as I can but its got a drip every couple of minutes. Some person on fitting a filter at some point has also round off the fitting a bit so its hard to get a spanner on to tighten it. I''ve used vice grips to tighten further but its not working. Can I just replace the fitting or am I going to have to get a whole new fuel line from the filter? I'll probably have to change the filter again too.
And to top off the whole job the clamps holding the filter and lines at various points underneath the car has done so with rivets. Thats just plain stupid. I've replaced them with screws after some time prying off the rivets.
Simple job made bloody hard by people who have no skills. :x :x :x :x

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Sometimes it can actually be quite tricky.. Don't drive the car whilst you have this problem.

Just have to keep playing, to test you just turn the key to start and watch for leaks. Try and get the fuel rail to hover over the lip of the fuel filter hole before you screw in as hard as possible. Same for the other side. Then tighten as tight as possible. Trial and error I believe. I wish I could describe the process a little easier however.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I've got all day tomorrow. I'll put it back on ramps and play some more.
It has fixed the flat spot problem and surging at idle so am I very happy I've done it. I've got a drip pan under it for tonight and tomorrow I'll undo it and turn it around some and keep having a go until there is absolutely no drips.
Cheers One Drone.

EL XR8

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I just replaced the fuel filter in teh finace's EF. It took me about 20 mins to get the fitting undone, so when I put the new one on I put some anti-seize on. No leak what-so-ever and I didn't neet to tighten it up ultra tight (unlike the last people did)

The other thing you could do is use some loctite/permatex (they're the same thing) hydraulic sealant or something similar, but if you did that you'd have a b**ch of a job replacing it in 10,000Km time.

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thing is I've got to fix it before I start driving around. I'm stuck in a catch 22.

EL XR8

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:28 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Falcon RTV

QLD, Australia

Use something like Loctite 542 tread sealant.

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BF

VIC, Australia

Hey all.

I had a problem much like this. When i had my car service last, the mechanic said that the thread on the fuel line was cross threaded, and that he had re-tapped it. Well he was full of crap, cause i changed the filter last week, and the thread was stuffed.

Anyways, i pulled the whole line off (from filter to just under the engine) and replaced it with a second hand one from the wreackers for a grand total of $3.00 - bargin i'd say.

And those pop rivots are a pain in the a**

just some more input

cheers
coops

---------------------------
Nicholas Cooper
njc81@westnet.com.au

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

coops was it hard to replace the line? I think thats what I'm going to have to do. Still dripping. Buggered if I know how the last filter managed to seal.

EL XR8

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Fitting the lines itself isn't hard. Just even more time consuming..

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Timmeh wrote:
coops was it hard to replace the line? I think thats what I'm going to have to do. Still dripping. Buggered if I know how the last filter managed to seal.

Last filter was probably stuck in with Loctite. If you need a quick fix do the loctite thing and worry about it next time you replace the filter.

Repco say replace every 10,000km, but if you don't get dirty fuel you can get away with longer than that.

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I also wanted to add that its a stupid bloody place to put a fuel filter. Why cant it be an easy access in the engine bay??? My good ol' Telstar had it in the engine bay.
I'm trying one other filter before I go nuts. The filter that was in there was a Ryco one. I got some no name brand one to put in its place. I'm getting my brother to drop another Ryco one off to me today and see if I can get that to seal. Otherwise I'm screwed.

EL XR8

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU II Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
Timmeh wrote:

Last filter was probably stuck in with Loctite. If you need a quick fix do the loctite thing and worry about it next time you replace the filter.

Repco say replace every 10,000km, but if you don't get dirty fuel you can get away with longer than that.

thats a crock of s**t, that means id be replacing my filter every month or so, 2 at most :evil:

Organza 2000 AU 2 Fairmont Ghia
4.0 VCT
JMM Race Series Exhaust
AWC TS50 Front bar
3.45 LSD

Coming soon:
G&D Airbox
CAPA Edit

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Finally got it all done. The one I originally bought to replace the blocked one was made of steel and had no give in it when it came to making a seal. The Ryco 373 one being of some aluminium gave a better seal. The one my brother bought for me I ended up cross threading it becuase the fitting on the fuel line was rounded. Had to go to Autopro to get another and lucky I didnt end up cross threading that one.
Moral of the story is avoid the steel ones no matter how good they claim they are. Get one made from Aluminium so it seals first go. I wish I had figured that out sooner.

All is well that ends well I guess. :D :D

EL XR8

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: MY06 REX

WA, Australia

You wouldnt believe it Pete - I had the same problem with that fuel line, went to change the filter one day and same thing - I couldnt even get the fitting off it was so rounded off. I ended up putting a whole new fuel line in it a couple months before selling it (took about 10 minutes). I guess someone has rounded it off AGAIN...

The Evil Strawberry

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Wasnt me!!!!! :lol: :lol: This was stuffed when I tried to get the 14mm spanner on it. Ended up with the vice grips on it. She runs absolutely fantastic now. I am going to blame the fuel filter for not winning against Tim at the drags. :lol: :lol:

Funny thing is the white EF GLi I had didnt get a filter change in over 70,000ks. Still ran like a champion.

EL XR8

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]