Fordmods Logo

EL ECU in an XG ute BIG PROBLEMS!!!!! 

Page 1 of 6 [ 89 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: EL ECU in an XG ute BIG PROBLEMS!!!!!
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Hey guys,
I'm having a weird issue with my XG and I really need the help of everyones experience!!!

I have done a BBM conversion on my XG ute. XG ECU ran fine, works really well but doesn't operate the vacuum switch. I put in an EL Auto ECU and did the resistor trick and car ran okay for a while. Then I started having problems with a really rough idle, rev hang, hesitation when cold. I check all my sensors, vacuum hoses, EVERYTHING. I eventually got annoyed with it and threw back in my XG ecu and its was a miracle. All problems solved, car ran like a dream.

I then purchased an EL xr6 manual ECU 6TAA as I believe it was my EL ecu being faulty. I have now just put it in the car and swapped all the wires back from the resistor trick so everything is all original. I am experiencing the really bad hesitation, bad idle like I was before. I DONT UNDERSTAND!!!

Could anyone please shed some light on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing I can think of is that I don't have thermo fans, power steering switch or knock sensor. Everything else is the same. Any idea on what is causing this problem, I really want to get to the bottom of this as I spent a heap buying an EL xr6 manual ECU!!!

All suggestions welcome!!!

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Post subject: Re: EL ECU in an XG ute BIG PROBLEMS!!!!!
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:40 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

you would need to re adjust your base ignition tining..
xg would be 10 deg btdc,,, el ecu is 0 deg

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

that will be your problem, EL ecu's ran a 0 Degree base timing where as EA,EB,ED, XG all ran a 10 Degree base timing, Short the pims to put it in BASE timing mode (this will happen after its been running for abnout 2 minutes and then adjust the timing back to 0 Degrees thens switch off after you have tightened the dizzy bolt back on on 0 Degrees, and its right to run the EL ecu problem free.

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Thanks for your reply Troyman, if anyone can solve it, it would be u!

yeah checked base timing, funny thing was that the XG ecu in diagnostic mode showed already that it was on TDC so I just left it how it was...

When I had the previous EL Auto ECU in with the resistor trick I tried retarding the timing on various settings and advancing it, it still behaved the same way. But if i retarded it I had less power, if I advanced it then I started to hear slight knocking.

So I think that removes timing out of the equation....

Is there else that anyone can think of?? Why would an 2 EL ECU's behave the same way in this car and the standard XG one run fine? The problem is fuel related as it does not do it when the car is on LPG!!!! It has to be to do with fuel maps or something. The ecu must be going into a certain mode because of something I am missing..... which is not missing on the XG ecu

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR8 MkII

VIC, Australia

It may be one of the sensors. You said the EL ECU worked at first and later played up.

I could be the EL ECU is more sensitive than the XG to a faulty sensor such as TPS or MAP.

Maybe a self test would give more info.

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:53 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Ok did the diagnostic tests
Key on engine off test gave
791 electro drive fan 1 issue
792 electro drive fan 2 issue
783 serial link connector not found
777 drivers side fan not drawing current from battery
778 passenger side fan not drawing current from battery

Key on Engine On test gave
521 PSP failed open

That is all..........
As the above codes are to do with not having thermo fans on, this i believe would be normal in my XG as I havent got the thermo fans hooked up. I only have a clutch fan

I think the problem may be with the Power steering pressure switch. As i only have a steering box as and not a power steering rack this might be causing the issue. Do you think that the ECU is expecting some sort of voltage going to PSP pin on the ecu?? could this be the problem??? If so what voltage would I give to this pin on the ecu?? (i dont have an EL workshop manual, sorry. I only have an Xg EA-ED)

The car has rough idle, hesistation when accelerating and almost stalls when you rev it. It feels as if there is a problem with the fuel maps like it is maybe over fuelling???

I just chucked in the Xg computer again and the car idled and ran perfectly. It was like its a new car!

Any idea's?????

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

set the timing to 0 degrees with teh XG ecu and then put the EL ecu in and it should be fine.

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Alright, got home early from work today and got out the timing light.

Set the timing to 10 degrees btdc (to see what would happen). Idle smoothed out a little bit but absolutely had no power at all.

Set the timing to 0d degrees tdc and I am still having the same issue.

It was on 4 degrees btdc before I touched anything (I had previously set it to this as I have lpg)

The car just feels like it is getting no fuel when the el ecu is connected. You put your foot down and it doesn't pull hard. It just hesitates. On the way home from driving it, i flicked it over to lpg and it drove great. No problems at all.

So there is something in the EL ECU that is not liking my car being an XG and hence is doing something stupid with the fuel maps. I checked the TPS and it is reading 0.75v at idle. I also checked the pin 28 the Power steering pressure switch and that is reading 0.2v (nothing obviously connected)

Would is be anything to do with not having the thermo connected up??? As the EL ECU goes straight into the EB-ED with no worries, what would be different on an XG??

With the XG ECU everything runs really well but then my BBM wont switch over with the vacuum switch.

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Im running an EL ECU in our XF, Running a complete un-cut XG loom. Wired up the Thermo's and everything runs good.

I ended up getting a XH Ecu as I dont want to go for the BBM, but i wanted the thermo options.

So I don't have any issues using XG / EL and XH ecu's all run the same.
However ours is manual, but I wouldn't think that'd make a difference

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Yeah, I didn't foresee any problems when I started the BBM conversion when I went ahead with it. Everything should work, its just that for some reason it isn't.

I'm starting to think its to do with the error codes about the thermo fans. Maybe the fact that the computer cannot detect them is causing it to do something weird.

But then again, heaps of people run the EL ECU in their EB-ED's with clutch fans.

I'm starting to lose hope with this thing.

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

mine is factory manual also.

6TAA EL ECU is definitely manual right???

I would be getting hardcore error codes if it wasn't wouldn't I??

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:34 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

6taa is definatly elxr6 manual ecu...
ive run el ecu's in both my old ea and my ed and got the same fault codes you have..
as for not having the fans, it didnt cause any issues with the way it ran..

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Yeah I have searched thoroughly through Ford Mods to try to solve this problems and I did notice that pretty much everyone had no issues with running through an EL ECU with a clutch fan. I figured that the codes would be nothing to worry about.

As I am running the Tickford XR6 ECU i thought that I would have problems with over fueling not under fueling and bucking. As they had larger cam and larger head. Personally it feels like a TPS issue. Like not getting the fuel when you put your foot down. This would obviously be irrelevant on gas because it would disregard this and thats why it runs fine. But the TPS checks out at 0.75v idle. I havent actually checked the voltage when opening the throttle body slowly and at WOT. But if it is running fine on the XG computer it can't be the TPS right????

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Just checked the TPS through the different throttle positions and all is good.

Any other idea's anyone????

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Saltez! wrote:
Just checked the TPS through the different throttle positions and all is good.
^^^^^^^But if it is running fine on the XG computer it can't be the TPS right????

The XG ECU will essentially be an EBII/ED ECU - self test should come up with the PS switch open as well, shouldn't be the issue as it just bumps up idle when it closes. Fan codes shouldn't cause the problem either.
I wonder why the EL ECU's aren't spitting out a knock sensor code?? . From memory, Troyman said he ran without one without issue.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 6  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next