Fordmods Logo

J3 chip issue 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: J3 chip issue
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 93 eb2 falcon

QLD, Australia

Ok, First off I just want to note that I have emailed Tiger performance and done a extensive search on here, This is basically just to see who else has had similar issues and/ or your personal experience and opinions with using the J3 chip on N/A falcons.

So, I got the Tiger performance J3 chip earlier this year, at the time I was told there wasn't a tune for an EBII auto falcon, so they tuned it with a stock ED XR6 tune which they reckon should work. I have cleaned both the port and chip several times and I'm positive they are both clean, but every time I turn the car onto the ON position the fuel pump just whirls away with no signs of turning off! I haven't tried starting the car with it, I'm don't know if something will go wrong. I have a regrind cam, worked head and extractors with a 2.5" exhaust. I really want to get the chip working to see what sort of gains I get!

anyways, What you think?

Post subject: Re: J3 chip issue
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

tiger performance?

just start the car, its the only way you will know if anything is actually wrong

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

sorry T.I. performance, head was in two places lol

I know the fuel pump is meant to shut off, so I'm not 110% about starting it.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

it has a return line so if the fuel pump keeps on running the unused fuel just goes back to the tank, atho you do have an issue there, does the fuel pump shut off when the chip is out?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

bry40l wrote:
it has a return line so if the fuel pump keeps on running the unused fuel just goes back to the tank, atho you do have an issue there, does the fuel pump shut off when the chip is out?

yeah, everything is fine without the chip

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

The fuel pump not turning off after it primes before the engine starts is a sure sign that it isn't compatible. In my experience with the 8s, anyway. Does your car have Smartlock? If not, I would think your car and the ED XR6 would run completely different strategies.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Scaffy wrote:
The fuel pump not turning off after it primes before the engine starts is a sure sign that it isn't compatible. In my experience with the 8s, anyway. Does your car have Smartlock? If not, I would think your car and the ED XR6 would run completely different strategies.

Yeah I have smartlock. I tired starting the car, it was hard to start and had a rough (slightly hunting) idle, missed and hunted majorly under load. I'm sending it back to get it checked out so hopefully it just needs a new tune...

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Have you been in contact with the guys from TI and let them know the fuel pump kept running with the ignition on? I assume you've spoken with them already, now that it isn't running right, and they'll sort it without any problems. They do some great work for the e-series lads and their customer service is very good, by all accounts.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:09 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I've been in contact with them tonight, they asked me to send the chip back to them so they can check it out! anyone running the T.I. J3 in there N/A car?

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

any queensland guys know of any good tuners around the gold coast area that can tune the J3 chip when I get it back?

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

When you say "cleaned"... What did you do?

I can guarantee you that it isn't the chip... I would near bet my left nut that you have a bad connection in the J3 port...

Mine done the same thing... The car goes into limp home mode... The EEC has no idea what is going on so everything reverts to a fixed setting... Fuel pump runs all the time... Timing is fixed, injector duty cycle is fixed, spark maps are fixed, max rpm is fixed, transmission top gear is fixed... Basically it runs enough to limp you home...

You got a little jewellers screwdriver and scratched ALL the lacquer off the terminals in the bottom of the computer?

I missed a bit and hence mine went into LHM and once I have it cleaned properly it was great... Worked first go...

I'm thinking sending the chip away is a waste of effort and money and time... Thinking it is your end that has the issue... Also... You are using an EL computer with the ED tune and a log manifold maps (unless you have a BBM)?

The EEC-IV computers have less RAM than the EEC-V counterparts and more can be done with the EEC-V and it is the pick of the two... If not, you haven't miss matched an EL tuned chip in and EEC-IV computer have you?

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I'm positive I have cleaned the port I used a chip of wood to push off the gunk then 400 grit sand paper then a jewelers file, rubbing down with metho each time! I did this process 3 times, I opened the ecu up to get to both sides of the board. I can post pics tomorrow for you to see. The ecu is the stock EBII, still using the log manifold.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

So Jason knew this when he put the tune onto the chip?

I'm running an EL EEC-V in my ED...

My J3 has the ED maps in it to suit the log manifold. Also changes the auto to a manual and is tweaked slightly to suit the cam...

The way the car is running sounds like how mine was before I'd cleaned them properly... And when I asked Jason he said to me he was sure I'd not quite gotten them right and sure as hell I hadn't... It just goes into LHM...

I thought my chip died the other week... And Jason said he has seen none fail yet and I went to investigate further and it turns out the MAP sensor had a slightly bad connection causing many of my dramas... wiggled the plug and all was good...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Is it common for guys to run an ED tune in an EB? I would have thought the strategies would be different between the two. In rainos first post he clearly said it was an ED XR6 tune. I'm sure when he discussed his car with Jason, he'd have mentioned that it's an EBII. It's the first thing they'd have asked.

As for cleaning the port, it sounds as though raino has gone to a hell of a lot more trouble to clean it than I ever do and I haven't had a problem with one yet.

My money is on the incorrect strategy :wink:

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:50 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

no different to my car starting on an el ecu if i were to remove the chip... As long as his eb is a multi point with smartlock it will run fine... He wont get max performance because xr didn't just have a different tune, there was a cam and 300 kpa rego and better head around all this too...

The issue i was getting at is whether the ed tune was designed to be loaded onto an eec-iv or an eec-v... He says he was it in his eb computer... Normally jason assumes it is going into an eec-v computer because our first email he steered me from using an eec-iv computer... If the tune was designed for an eec-v computer and he is putting it into a primitive eec-iv computer, all the extra parameters may be confusing the eec-iv and sending it into lhm.

This is the way i'm leaning... As i said is he went and bought a 3dbb computer you'd find it'd work fine... Very little changed from ebii to ed...

Cheers...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next