Fordmods Logo

Piggyback ECU selection 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Piggyback ECU selection
Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

Just interested in everybody’s opinions on the variety of piggyback ECU’s available.
I need something to control the ignition on my auto EF, so far I’ve looked into: Greddy E-manage, UniChip and the PerfectPower SMT6,
I’ve been guaranteed that the Unichip will work, cost about $1400 for the ECU, installation and tuning. Only problem is that you need to be an authorised Unichip reseller to modify the settings. I live in Wodonga and the closes one is in Melbourne (three hours drive) not so good if anything goes wrong....
I’ve been told by AVO that the Perfect Power SMT6, will work, and has the same “type” of features as the Unichip, but anyone can tune it, cost around $830 + tuning,
The Greddy E-manage would cost around $800 no guarantee that it will work, seems to be a much better ECU than the rest, but no wiring diagrams for the falcons, and a bit of a wait for the thing to be shipped from USA.
At the moment I’ll most likely go with the SMT6, unless you guys have any better ideas..

Cheers
Tim

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

the chiptourque's are pretty good, i just bought one off a friend, the stage 4 (hp4) chip, and it went real well in his car. bought mine for $500 but new they are 1k with a cam kit as well, thats for i6 anyhow.

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Whichever you end up getting, make sure it is dyno tuned from scratch on your car. The buy off the shelf pre-programmed ones very rarely give performace increases and often produce a lot of other problems.

I am not familiar with the SMT6, but the unichip does a good job for some people. $1400 for the unichip is too expensive, check around, most places I find do them for about $1100. BTW what mods have you got that requires ignition changes. Forced induction?

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Just turboed it, Only looking at running low boost 6-7 psi, or what ever is going to be reliable,We've got it fueling good with a 12-1 Fuel pressure regulator, I just really want to retard the timing at high revs. Because I've got an Ef there is no way to adjust the timing without an aftermarket ECU :(..
With the chiptourque, its it able to be tuned on a dyno, Or is it a "buy off the shelf" chip??

Thanks for the replys...

Tim

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Chiptorque can do both, but if you just want a timing map for 6-7psi boost they can do it and send it to you. Cost is around $595 for an off the shelf chip and usually around $1k for a dynoed chip.

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

i would recommend getting a chip that you can access the programming yourself. having to take a car back to the authorised dealer to make a simple change can be a pain . i have a unichip in one car and a full autronics ecu in my race car. i can make my own changes with the autronics as it comes with all the mapping progams but the unichip i cant touch. although it is only on a stock xr6 so it doesnt need any adjustments

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I get the impression the SMT6 is a little sketchy, but it may be fine. Dos based tuning software is a bonus! :lol:

As mentioned in another thread, I'm interested in the E-manage for my NA application, and buying O/S you can get it much cheaper again than $800.
I wouldn't think wiring would be too much of an issue, I assume there's plenty of info around on the EECV wiring and it's just a matter of matching up the wires to those of the e-manage ?

Price wise you could probably land one here for $400.
Hills Motorsport in sydney reckon they'll fit at tune it for $450 and say they don't charge you for the support tool (the software to do the programming from what I can gather)

To me the whole lot fitted and tuned for under a grand sounds is appealing, but I guess it depends on what you're after and how much you have to spend. I guess the fact that you're looking at the cheapies like me means you wanna get away with it for as little as possible :)

I don't reckon Hills motorsport would get alot of falcons through, but I might give them a call tomorrow and see what they can do and to confirm prices/services. If any, I'd probably go ahead with that one, but I'm just a little reserved about 'pioneering' this sorta thing...

ImageImage

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hyena I know what you mean, I'm a little unsure about trying out the E-manage. With the prices you have been quoated, just make sure that it includes the timing wireing harnes (around $30 US), and the software, is listed as $130 US.

AVO use the SMT6 on their power upgrade kits on the BA, the seems to think their ok... Does anyone know if the BA's use the coil packs like the AU and EF's??

Cheers

Tim

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

OK...

Just had a chat with a bloke at Hills Motorsport in Sydney and he said he'd installed about 15-20 of the E-manages. He said they're not a fabulous unit for really heavily modded turbo cars but for something like my application they'd be fine and there's little to no gain in going to more expensive units with all these extra features (as basically I wont use them) He said for the price I could get them from OS they'd be a great unit.

The cost off the street is $595 fitted and tuned, but if you fit it yourself you save $145, altho they're offering to fit and tune it $450 if you buy the unit new through flying automotive so hopefully that leaves some room for negotiation :) Fitting I'd think would be pretty straight forward - get the wiring diagram for the EECV and match up all the wires to the emanage.

Tempting - further research as time permits :)

ImageImage

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 220kw 1600 Datto

WA, Australia

Dont f**k around with chips.
one size doesnt fit all, and they cant tell you they will make one up for you with out it been tunned in your car coz every car is different.

I looked into it and ended up buying a EMS 8860.
Didnt cost much more then a unichip in the end and is a heap more programable, great for turbos.

and you can tune by your self, made easier with a auto tune feature now available :wink:
So you will save dyno time and will end up been cheeper in the long run.

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:59 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

E-Manges sound interesting.

With all this competition in the intercepter chip market there may be a few good PC based tuning bargains coming along soon.

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

jonbays wrote:
With all this (.)(.)

All this bewbs?? :)
haha, I think the fordmods swear filter is playing silly buggers

ImageImage

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:12 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Sorry must have been watching disco franks posts for too long.

I am not sure its good for me.

SMT6 and G-Ready and so on lots of competition.

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AU2 XR8

VIC, Australia

does the e-manage do fuel AND ignition adjustments? or just fuel?

I had a quick look, and i get the impression its fuel only

I'm pretty sure the SMT6 does both fuel and Ignition.

And just so you know, the best response comes from light to medium ignition timing changes..

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:22 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: fairmont ghia

WA, Australia

just a quick querry people.. i just brought the autronic sm2 computer and i am putting it in my el fairmont ghia (6cylinder)but aparently cause its an auto i have to keep the original computer in to run a/c etc and use the autronic to run the air and fuel.. will it get messy mixing the two computers together..
p.s the work im doin is twin throotle bodies custom grind cam headwork and all the other little goodies.. not forced induction yet but later done tyhe track i will..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next