Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

gowest wrote:
twason wrote:
gowest wrote:
I consistantly get 3mm movement on petrol. Ignition off the pintal is retracted Ignition on and it moves out 3mm. It now does this consistantly.
Is the range of the stepper motor only 3mm., or should it be more?
No, the range should be almost if not more than a 10mm. If it is moving in both directions it indicates to me that the drivers on the AMS is OK and therefore should be able to travel the full distance, BUT have you got the correct stepper? there are two versions, one has 216 steps (EF) and one has 255 steps (EL). The way to tell is the EF has a connector with 4 pin arranged in a square the EL has the 4 pins all in line.

I have the one with the 4 pins arranged in a square (are you sure you got your facts right). When I ordered the new one I got exactly the same. I ordered it from Ford as a tickford gas EL 1998 stepper motor. As I mentioned earlier, I took it back because it had the same movement as my own original.
I am sure the 4 pins in a square is the 216 step one, can you take a picture of it and email me. I have sent a PM with the Email address.

Edit, I think you are correct I may be mistaken when the 255 step was introduced perhaps AU.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:11 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Interesting this morning when I took the pictures, I turned the ignition on to show you the travell of the pintal. I could hear a gas hissing noise and sure enough, with the ignition on, there was a steady flow of gas into the manifold. Ignition off, gas stops. Tried to start on gas - no go. Cranked on petrol a few times and she started, switch to gas - stall.

The hissing noise is now gone. It's part of that morning cold thing that it does.

I'm buggered if I know!

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

gowest wrote:
Interesting this morning when I took the pictures, I turned the ignition on to show you the travell of the pintal. I could hear a gas hissing noise and sure enough, with the ignition on, there was a steady flow of gas into the manifold. Ignition off, gas stops. Tried to start on gas - no go. Cranked on petrol a few times and she started, switch to gas - stall.

The hissing noise is now gone. It's part of that morning cold thing that it does.

I'm buggered if I know!
Hi Brett, thanks for the pix , it is the 216 step and the plug has not been changed so it must be correct.

I pulled my stepper out for you so I can give you some accurate measurements.

With the switch on petrol and the ignition on and after the cycle is complete, the Pintle collar was 15mm from the body measured with a steel ruler. Just after the ignition is turned on the pintle should move toward the body and stop so there is 6mm between the collar and the body before returning to the 15mm distance giving 9mm travel. When gas is selected and the ignition on the distance was 12mm between the collar and the body giving 3mm movement toward the body, this last measument will vary from car to car but not by a significant amount. If your is only moving 3mm then have a look at the steel shaft, there is a keyway down on side, check that it is aligned with the key on the plastic bush.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

The most movement I can get is 3mm. without physically forcing the pintal in by hand. at first it was from 11mm to 14mm. Then I pushed it in by hand it started at 6 mm and moved out to 9mm. When I switch to gas and continually crank it to try to get it going, with the stepper apart you can actually see and feel the stepper move in and out very slightly I guess trying to get the mixture right to get it going.

I spoke to Ford parts on friday and they say there are about 3 or 4 different controllers for tickford systems. Is this right??

Last edited by gowest on Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

The keyway on the stepper shaft looks aligned properly. I can easily rotate the shaft slightly(maybe 5-10 degrees) it is quite loose I supose.

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

gowest wrote:
The keyway on the stepper shaft looks aligned properly. I can easily rotate the shaft slightly(maybe 5-10 degrees) it is quite loose I supose.
Sounds like the shaft has seperated partially from the motor. If you are carefull you can push the pintle in by hand (it is a little hard to move) and see if there is anything stopping it.

If you can remove it all together and try these steps from the manual:

If the pintle has fallen out of the stepper motor, it can normallybe replaced by the following steps.

Remove the plastic housing and leave the stepper connected to the wiring.

With the ignition on and Petrol operation selected place the spring on the motor and screw in the Pintle.

Align the Keyways when the pintle is screwed in as far as it will go.

Turn the igntion off the back on three times. Allow the pintle to move in then back out each time.

Refit and check for leaks.

Failing that I think you will need to replace it to progress any further.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Last edited by twase on Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

gowest wrote:
The most movement I can get is 3mm. without physically forcing the pintal in by hand. at first it was from 11mm to 14mm. Then I pushed it in by hand it started at 6 mm and moved out to 9mm. When I switch to gas and continually crank it to try to get it going, with the stepper apart you can actually see and feel the stepper move in and out very slightly I guess trying to get the mixture right to get it going.

I spoke to Ford parts on friday and they say there are about 3 or 4 different controllers for tickford systems. Is this right??
Two that I know of, talk to Boral the local agents in Sydney they may do changeover ones if it comes to that.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

I will get another stepper motor I think and we will go from there. I will email you when I get it.

Thanks

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

OK that will allow us to progress the fault, I think there is still a convertor issue because even with the faulty stepper it still should start and idle roughly. You should be paying around $120 plus freight for the stepper.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4