Fordmods Logo

Tuning your Falcon with a T.I. Performance J3 Chip 

Page 69 of 100 [ 1500 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 100  Next

Post subject: Re: Tuning your Falcon with a T.I. Performance J3 Chip
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:09 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF XR6

VIC, Australia

Hi Jason,

Wondering what the chances of enabling a bluetooth serial port on the prog port of a J3 chip?
I'm sick of having the ECU on the floor and telling passengers "not to kick it or the car will break".
Worst case I'll try a hacked up floppy cable and adapter to extend J3 (IIRC the bus is at ~18 mhz so should be okay for a short run).

Also, I've been trying to get more params from the bins I'm working with (found a disassembler that kinda works). Especially around knock sensing/adaptation, fan control, and a few other things/
I'm on 4DBG (how happy am I that I can run the bins you've enabled auto tranny editing for!), EF XR6.
You mentioned in a post somewhere that you might be able to hook me up with a directives file
for some of the I6 bins? Disassembly and analysis is pretty tough when you've little more than hex to work with :) and not much to go on as reference unlike the V8's which have the Yank bins fully laid out with heaps in common to work from.

If we can get some of the memory locations too nailed down that might open the door to real-time logging/tracing for older non-OBDII vehicles.. as you don't have anything for that I'd look at QuarterHorse and TunerPro probably. Realtime would be grand..

I've got some other questions but I'll leave them till later :) Anyway thanks for putting the product out, it's bloody awesome!

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey mate,

Why do you have the ECU on the floor? It is pretty easy to remove/insert the chip with the ECU still in the mounting bracket. I don't have clips in my kick panel so that only takes 2 seconds to remove. I don't want my car looking like a test lab (though sometimes it is)!

Happy to share the .dir I have - just shoot me an email. Keen to see what you can find on the fans, my luck hasn't been great on the 6's (I have the fan settings working in a few of the V8 defs tho).

Happy New Year to everyone!

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

galapogos01 wrote:
Hey mate,
Why do you have the ECU on the floor?
--snip--
Happy to share the .dir I have - just shoot me an email. Keen to see what you can find on the fans, my luck hasn't been great on the 6's (I have the fan settings working in a few of the V8 defs tho).

Happy New Year to everyone!

Cheers,
Jason

I was afraid to plug/unplug the chip with the ECU mounted in case the pins didn't align properly and something shorted.
Since you reckon it's ok, I've since mounted the ECU and found it was easier to get the chip in/out than I thought. No more dangly bits :)
I'd still like a wireless solution, since the comms is USB/emulated serial it can't be too hard. At the least I'll try to add an extension so I can get to the prog port.

Can the chip be reflashed while connected to the ECU?

Thanks for the def and and directive, it's slow going but hopefully I'll weed out some more params.
Fans sure would be nice, knock too.

Hope you have a ripper year, mine's been a crummy start but s**t happens :)

Post subject: VE tables - what's a rough scale of percentage change to AFR
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Jase, you'll prolly be able to help me with this one.
I'm redoing my WBO2 so I can't log yet, but I'm going to work on an E10 perf and econ tune.
With the VE tables - what's a rough scale of percentage change to AFR?
For example, adding 1% (the values are in percentage IIRC), what will the resulting change in AFR be? As in plus 0.05 from AFR, or expressed as say 5% leaner?

You don't have a table of VE to lambda for the I6 or anything like that do you?

Also.. is it possible to open up the TI Performance sponsor forum to user postings?
Not sure if it's allowed, or if it's against the idea of a sponsor forum..
It would make a good home for all TI/J3 chip discussions and questions though.
For example this thread itself is getting ridiculosly long, and finding useful info in it is a slow job.

Also, I've asked FM admins about a site-wide wiki which would be an even better resource but not sure how that'll go,

Anyways just an idea I had!

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Nominal stoich for petrol is 14.64 AFR; for ethanol it's 9.00, so a 90/10 mix gets you 14.08 AFR. That's 96.1% of straight petrol - or a 3.9% lower AFR (or 4.0% more fuel).

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yep, I would work backwards from the stoich AFR.

There is no table mapping VE to lambda - they do not directly correspond, and the amount of fuel required to achieve stoich would be different with engine mods (different airflow) anyway. In fact, under certain load conditions you want to achieve non-stoich lambdas anyway.

I would start by altering the stabilised fuel tables then tweak VE to dial it in.

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Ah bugger, would be nice to have a guide to tweaking VE's based off WBo2 data. Yeah obviously non-stoich is used in various areas but I wanted to be able to relate lambda/AFR adjustments back to a VE cell adjustment factor.

I've set the fuel tables - they were the first place I started. Unfortunately my def (N4AGB, the tranny-enabled one) doesn't have an open-loop table., yet HWAD3 does. I'm trying to create a table in the N4AGB def for a 4DBG bin for OL fuelling, but the only hex I've found that looks similar is too small. Still more work to do, I'll try and insert the HWAD3 OL table into the N4AGB def and tweak it from there, see if I can get it to work.
I know it'd be a hassle for you but are you able to have a squiz to see if you can use your expertise on adding the OL stab table to N4AGB? :)

The fuel tables are much nicer to work with. There's even the possibility of changing things to make it fuel-independent.
For example, a cell value of 14.87 maps back to a raw decimal of 130 (using X/128*14.64.)
This suggests I might be able to create an alternate table, either using absolute lambdas or base AFR on E10 stoich (efxr6wagon: the stoich I have for E10 is 14.13 from multiple sources, but I follow your logic.. dunno how to verify real figure tho).

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hey mate,

You can tune VE based off AFR data. See the spreadsheet and the tuning guide on the site for info on this. But what you asked before was slightly different...

N4AGB has a Fuel Stabilised Table, try looking again (the name may not match?). I use it regularly!!!

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU Tonner

VIC, Australia

First off i have to say congrats on all the hard work and obvious results!

I am wondering if you or anyone else is working on the trans control features or the au ii files?

The ol sludge could do with a remap of the trans.

Werebthese features intergrated for the eec v or are the available in earlier models?

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Haven't had the chance to port them to AU yet. Trans editing is working well for EF/EL (and EA-ED with EL ECU).

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hey Jason, how do I get access to trans editing?

Hwmc2_v7_256K.xdf does not seem to include it.

EL Ghia

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hey Tyler,

You will need to use the HWAD3 (auto) strategy. You can port other changed items over to a new HWAD bin if necessary.

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:58 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU Tonner

VIC, Australia

galapogos01 wrote:
Haven't had the chance to port them to AU yet. Trans editing is working well for EF/EL (and EA-ED with EL ECU).

Cheers,
Jason

Is porting the trans part of the defenition something you are working on, or is it on the obviously long list of 'when time permits'?

Are there any bins on your site that will allow me to improve the trans in the interim?

I also have a dc ltd v8 that i would like to work on the auto alongside the engine tune up.
Is this aplication subject to further mods,or able to be converted to the later ecu to achieve control?

Or am i s-o-l?

Thanks mate.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hi mate,

EB-EL V8 Autos are not controlled by the ECU. Unfortunately, you are SOL.

Cheers,
Jason

Post subject: Re:
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

galapogos01 wrote:
its called 8065 disassembler iirc, try google and if you cant find it ill have a look, i think i have it somewhere. there is also a commercial product which can do the intel CPUs which is apparently easier to use, but i dont have a copy of it.

edit: http://www.austincc.edu/cloud/images/dis8065_102.zip

few other tech docs about def creation here: http://www.austincc.edu/cloud/tc_eec.htm.

Massive thread mine from 2008... Tom Cloud's stuff has been deleted from the Austin Community College website unfortunately. There are plenty of other places to get hold of his EEC notes (the 2nd link) but unfortunately I can't find any alternative host for the disassembler and didn't download it at the time. Has anyone got a copy to post up or email to me please?

If by email, send it to marty DOT mcsly DOT au AT gmail DOT com

Many thanks if anyone can help.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Sort by  
 Page 69 of 100  [ 1500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 100  Next