Fordmods Logo

Tuning your Falcon with a T.I. Performance J3 Chip 

Page 82 of 100 [ 1500 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 100  Next

Post subject: Re: Tuning your Falcon with a T.I. Performance J3 Chip
Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Our new website is live! Check it out right now at http://www.tiperformance.com.au/

After a lot of work sorting out our new design (thanks Michele), then countless hours adding our content and fine tuning various features on the site, we're ready to release it to the world.

For a limited time, we also have discounts on some of our products! Be quick!

We expect a few bumps in the road over the next few days, so if you notice something not working, or have any other suggestions for the site, please get in touch with us. We'd love to hear what you think of the site.

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

I bought the TI Performance full-house tuning pack, been tuning my EF XR6, and am super happy with the results. So far, I have:
- leaned out the fuel (it was way rich), keeping it at around 12.5 AFR at WOT
- advanced the spark
- increased the 1-2 shift RPM (in Power mode) to about 100 below the (raised) rev limit
- increased the trans line pressure at WOT to firm up the shift, which reduce the shift time from 0.7 to 0.3 secs, but is not harsh or even chirping the tyres
- richened up start-up fuel (it was way lean), so it no longer stumbles (and sometimes stalled) on cold start or light acceleration when cold.

The performance is dramatically improved. It will light up both GSD3s stepping on it from idle every time now. Part-throttle torque is way better too, so need less throttle for the same acceleration. And if I can stay off the loud pedal, I should see better fuel economy from the leaner tune (but where's the fun in that :twisted: ). One very happy camper here.

A couple problems I would like to solve:
- When I coast down to a stop, the idle stays at about 1100 RPM for 5 seconds or more before dropping to normal idle of about 730 RPM. It has so much torque at 1100 RPM now that I have to keep a lot of pressure on the brake pedal to keep the car from creeping. How do I get it to drop to normal idle revs right away?
- I have set the trans stall limp mode at 4200 rpm, but it still goes into limp mode when stalling against the torque convertor to only about 2000 rpm (2900 rpm convertor). How do I stop this? I want to be able to do a full 2900 rpm stall when I head to Drag Wars in November. Oddly, it comes out of limp mode by itself after about one minute, without having to switch off the car.
- Tip-in or acceleration enrichment needs to be adjusted, but I don't have access to that table (fuel multiplier for TPS change rate vs RPM). When I snap the throttle open, it spikes way lean (about 16 AFR); and when I let off, it spikes way rich. It also runs about 0.4 AFR richer in second gear than in first on an acceleration run (pedal held to the floor) - presumably, as the fuel film builds up on the manifold/port wall. How do I adjust the accel enrichment?

Thanks for any help guys and gals.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
- When I coast down to a stop, the idle stays at about 1100 RPM for 5 seconds or more before dropping to normal idle of about 730 RPM. It has so much torque at 1100 RPM now that I have to keep a lot of pressure on the brake pedal to keep the car from creeping. How do I get it to drop to normal idle revs right away?
You'll need to increase the Dash pot decay rate - see page 78 of this thread. You'll need to up the item 'Z' ones.
Item 'Y' is actually air flow rate - sort of akin to RPM - I think you'll need to adjust the lower 'Y' values (the 'Z' value component with it that is) - I think that should quicken throttle closure at lower RPM. Try 10% increases - too much and you might find the idle might try to undershoot - similar to running auto Dashpot settings with a manual.
I might be FOS with this - haven't been playing with it for long - Jason might have better tips.
I did find a good forum thread that covered it pretty well - I'll try to find it. The dashpot does have various modes and operations and can be confusing, but the Falcon 6's only have the decay rate defined.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Brilliant! Thanks. I have been subscribing to this thread forever, but missed (or forgot) that. Cheers.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

if you are using the N4AG9.xdf there is also a Dashpot Gain. not sure if its actually defined properly but i think i read somewhere that you lower that number to drop revs quicker also

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

^^^ I think that's Dashpot sensitivity, and normally you don't need to adjust it.
Have a look at this thread:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/gt-sohc ... tting.html

It helped me heaps in understanding dashpot decay.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
^^^ I think that's Dashpot sensitivity, and normally you don't need to adjust it.
Have a look at this thread:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/gt-sohc ... tting.html

It helped me heaps in understanding dashpot decay.

i added 15% to my decay rate and dropped the gain down to 2 after doing the t5 conversion and now my revhang has gone. i might up the gain again and see if it actually does anything.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Could also try dropping the advance in the spark tables around the idle ranges, seems to help reduce rev hang I've found.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i already had 10 or 15degrees (cant remember) taken out from when it was tuned in my other car. im using my old tune as a baseline til i cant get on the dyno

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hey guys,

Dashpot has mostly been covered. I don't use the gain, just the decay rate. The biggest factor in dashpot or return to idle is whether you have any air leaks (think: manifold gasket; cracked hoses; dodgy PCV; modified throttle body) above what the ECU is controlling via the ISC. Unplugging the ISC and setting the base idle as close to 550rpm as you can get will help a lot.

I wouldn't have thought tip-in acceleration would need that much more enrichment given you're still running the stock throttle body? Could be more indicative of a lean area in the map where you're transitioning from closed to open throttle? Accel enrichment won't help with snapping closed nor 2nd gear runs, the latter is due to the different load on the engine in 2nd.

The LHM issue can be overcome by slipping the trans into 1 when on the stall. Unfortunately, sometimes there are other factors which seem to cause it to kick in even with the VSS / LHM Stall speed setting has been raised (maybe trans temp?).

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Hey Jase,

Thanks for the advice on dashpot and idle. Will definitely give that a go.

I'm pretty certain that tip-in is the issue. Even slight acceleration from cruise shows a lean spike in AFR, and a rich spike on deceleration. I didn't use the average AFR (matrix mode) for setting VE, but looked at the actual steady-state sections of the graph, ignoring the transient effects of tip-in. The steady-state fueling is quite precise (after 11 revisions :D ). I have compensated for the lean tip-in at WOT by adding fuel at the lower RPMs, so my actual AFRs are fine (12.3-12.7) on a full-throttle ramp run. I have started looking through the xdf and there are a lot of tables not yet defined - I know the accel enrichment must be one of them, as it exists in the A9L definition. Hopefully, I can isolate it.

Will try pulling it into 1st on the stall to prevent limp mode.

Thanks very much for the help, all.

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

We had a great time this weekend at the V8 Supercars at Sandown Park! Thanks to everyone who came and said hello, don't forget to use your discount vouchers!

Here are a few pics from the event:

Many more at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 630&type=1 - make sure you tag anyone we've missed!

Thanks to Pete from boostedfalcon.net for organising!

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

ranga83 wrote:
this is off topic but, i forgot to you snap, do you want me to try and make a complete .xdf for your 5DAA.bin? i made one for the 5TAA the other day, i could try and do one for yours when i get bored?

Mate, if you could, that would be appreciated - Jase could upload them to the TI site also - there's not too much XH stuff around.

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ive sent Jase the 5TAA one, he just has to go through it when he gets a chance and check to see if everything looks right. if i see Misk again i can test it on his if he'll let me.
i'll see what i can do with the 5DAA this week when i get a chance, if not i should be able to go through it this weekend.

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Sorry I've been a bit slack, got a bit going on at present...

Cheers,
Jason

Sort by  
 Page 82 of 100  [ 1500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 100  Next