Fordmods Logo

Tuning your Falcon with a T.I. Performance J3 Chip 

Page 45 of 100 [ 1500 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 100  Next

Post subject: Re: Tuning your Falcon with a T.I. Performance J3 Chip
Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Fairmont

SA, Australia

Jason, I am letting you know how happy my customer is with his manual EF I6 with the usual mods and a mild grind cam. It has had a Unichip piggyback fitted years ago and I convinced him to ditch it and try tuning the factory maps ( after I showed him how nice my EF Fairmont auto with similar mods ran with the J3 chip). I had a Unichip I fitted and tuned years ago as well.
He is blown away with how smooth the idle is... he reckons its idling like it has a stock cam. The mid range driveability is much crisper now.... and the idle dramas he has always whinged about like surginess on cold starts is almost all gone. I must admit there must be a few more idle tables to be discovered on the I6 roms.... I struggled a little with the defined tables... something else must control things yet to be found (?) when the air con is enabled. Or I havent quite sussed what to do with the existing tables !! I couldnt seem to get any thing to respond on the dashpot control. If you have any advice... it would be a big help
Needless to say , things are near perfect on cold starts now ! It does have a lot to do with getting the base mixtures spot on ( before the closed loop switches on), and trimming the cold start multiplier.

He reckons he is sending all his E seies buddies around now !

Thanks for your pointers on the timing tables last week. Tuning wise it went like a breeze.

Cheers Mike

galapogos01 wrote:
blackvr wrote:
Jason, I am tuning an EF manual with a mild grind cam. I have sussed out the fuel mods via the VE table no problems. However the reference in your post re timing adjustments and how it is done in your tuning guide... I'm having trouble actually finding that particular guide. Could you point me in the right direction.

I am using the 4TAB 01 split 04 64k bin as a start point, with N4MG30 v13 64k as a definition.It lists a lot of spark tables. Do I use Spark table MBT as a base ?

I wish I had this setup years ago... would have been fantastic for Ford tuning back then !

Cheers Mike

Hey Mike,

The Beginners Guide covers this - see http://www.tiperformance.com.au/Technic ... 0Guide.pdf
Quote:
To keep things simple,
o use MBT as your base table;
o copy this into the MBT MPG table.
o Fill both BDLN tables with 50s.
o This ensures the ECU ignores the BDLN table and you have one base spark map to tune.

Cheers,
Jason

EA Falcon Saloon RaceCar
EF Fairmont wagon- AU I6 modified
EB Ford daily
EB Ford daily- AU I6 modified

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the feedback! It's appreciated.

What bin/def were you using when trying to get the dashpot right? It's often a dodgy TPS/badly set base idle that causes rev hang, as they don't do it from the factory! The screw should be set so it idles around 600rpm with the ISC solenoid disconnected, and the TPS voltage should be less than 0.7V.

With the A/C, there are 4 base idle settings, two of these for A/C. As you'd probably know it's very important to reset the ECU routinely and/or disconnect the O2 while tuning, as your base maps can otherwise appear OK from the trims it will learn when in reality the map is still out. Also, the ECU will learn different fuel and idle airflow trims for the following 4 positions:

1. In Gear A/C Off
2. Neutral A/C Off
3. In Gear A/C On
4. Neutral A/C On

So it may take a couple of starts for the car to get happy with idle airflow in each mode.

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Fairmont

SA, Australia

I'm using the 4TAB 01 split 04 64k bin as a start point, with N4MG30 v13 64k definition. Yeah, I disconnected the O2 sensor to get the base mapping , set base idle speed and checked the TPS voltage ( ok) and even tried another ISC solenoid. I saw the A/C 4 tables, but was unsure how to apply them with a manual car ? Hey, the result is pretty close, but the revs drop to 1000 rpm for 3 or 4 secs then drop to 700rpm. The customer did actually say it was pretty good after a couple of days driving...

Mike

EA Falcon Saloon RaceCar
EF Fairmont wagon- AU I6 modified
EB Ford daily
EB Ford daily- AU I6 modified

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Good stuff.

You have a PM by the way!

Jason

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys,

Just a short note to let you know we have a new dealer who is able to supply and dyno tune our products. Their name is Mike Dale Automotive, and they're located in Holden Hill, SA.

This is blackvr above btw!

His details are:

Mike Dale Automotive
6/26 Jacobsen Cr
Holden Hill, SA, 5088
Ph 08 8369 2882 or mob 0417 083 682

Cheers,
Jason

Last edited by galapogos01 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:02 am 
Stock as a Rock

Power: 192 rwkw

SA, Australia

awsome! im going to see my tuner Paul at LMG performance on thurs, hopefully hell be interested too, im sure he will, hes a ford nut lol

hopefully get my ea on the road this wknd and on the dyno next week.

cant believe how much better ir runs with just the el xr6 bin with a couple of small tweaks, very happy

btw do you know if the sequencial injection from the el ecu works when installed in a ea-ed?

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

3.9from hell wrote:
btw do you know if the sequencial injection from the el ecu works when installed in a ea-ed?

I wasn't aware that EL's had sequential injection.. as far as I knew, AU's were the first...

would be great if a bin file could change that though... :-)

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

EL's dont have the wiring for Sequential. EF's do, but the ECU fires in batch mode. It will take a lot of work to get to the point of enabling sequential, for minimal gains really.

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Power: 192 rwkw

SA, Australia

yeah no real gains realy, was just curious

i could have sworn that els were sequential

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Pwnage Pwr!!

SA, Australia

Hey there

Got a new EEC and fianly put it in and holy s**t! It flys!!
Fuel consumtion is far far better now, everone following be used to have to sit back because the fumes made their eyes water :lol:
It also seems to have more power right accross the range, insted of just up high, and cold starts are awsome.

Can't ask for much better than that! Now for some dyno goodness.

Adelaide Motorplex < Click on it! You know you want too!
ED HP AU XR6, Wade, T5, and all the usual stuff!

Quote:
Thats not the point *a**hole

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Hey, gotta tell you guys about my experience with a custom-tuned J3 chip from TI Performance. The difference is amazing! It runs and idles so smooth, and man does it GO! The throttle response is so much better, and the part-throttle torque makes the car feel lighter. Now I have traction issues :D It seems to be making all my previous mods work together properly. It feels so polished - like it came from the factory like this.

I have no idea what effect it's had on fuel economy yet. So far, I'm having too much fun with the accelerator to find out :lol: But it's running a lot leaner and with more ignition advance, so it should get better fuel economy if I can back off the loud pedal.

Will do an "after" dyno run probably next month and put up the dyno graphs.

Initially, I was getting a little bit of pinging at WOT. Jason asked me to send the chip back for a no charge adjustment, and now it's perfect! This is the best money I ever spent on the car. Thanks a bunch, Jason. I couldn't be happier.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Thats awesome to hear efxr6wagon. Seeing as i have a similar setup to you, i think you have just convinced me even more to start saving my pennies for a J3.

Jason, i think you will be hearing from as soon as i finish my planned work on my EF :P

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Kwikxr, you won't be disappointed. Now I think I might steal a page from your book and polish my throttle body. Keep up the good work.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the kind words Roger and Simon, glad you're happy campers.

Just drop me a PM when you're ready, KWIKXR.

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Fairmont

QLD, Australia

I see alot of talk about the J3 chip, i only know little bits about what they do. My Ed fairmont is being setup for a turbo to go on in June, now i would prefer not to have to change to the el ecu to run one of these chips. I just want to know, if i keep my ecu i have now, will the j3 work with it ok, are the binaries/definitions available for ed, and if i did change to el ecu for this chip, can i still run my log manifold setup as i want to keep it. Any help would be great

Thanks

Josh

OI OI

Sort by  
 Page 45 of 100  [ 1500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 100  Next