Fordmods Logo

180KPH MAX 

Page 2 of 6 [ 78 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: mechanic
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

VIC, Australia

i see where your coming from. It is by no meens race spec but hey falcons are stable vehicles. Being a mechanic i go over my car throughouly to keep it in tip top condition. The last thing i want to happin is for my car to fail.

EL Fairmont Ghia. Pace maker comp headers. 2.5 system. ba/bf throttle body induction with poddy. King SSL in the rear & King SL in the front. Just the beggining.....

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

lol at stable stock suspension.
They feel like a boat at speed lol.

You need new springs (200-250 for off the shelf Kings), shocks(400 or so for decent pedders), swaybars, possibly camber kit, new bushes etc.
And if you buy Koni or whiteline then double or even triple what the kings n pedders gear costs.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Post subject: adjustable
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

VIC, Australia

I was thinking of adjustable so i can muck around with ride height.

EL Fairmont Ghia. Pace maker comp headers. 2.5 system. ba/bf throttle body induction with poddy. King SSL in the rear & King SL in the front. Just the beggining.....

Post subject: Re: OK
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:52 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

dwy01 wrote:
Point takin joolz. I can understand where your coming from. And Fordfairmont why do i need to spend thousands. I explained my car is all Tickford and is one of the most stable cars i have been in..

As froudy said, it may be a Tickford and stable, but that is at the factory limited speed of 180km/h. They may have put the rev and speed limiter there for a reason. At 180km/h the vehicle is not as stable is it would be at 100km/h and going any faster could cause many problems. Ford made cars to be street legal and to be safe on the roads up to speeds they think the car can handle, which is 180km/h...so by bypassing the speed limiter you are basically putting the car at risk of exploding into millions of pieces (when something breaks and you hit something at 180km/h...not engine going boom).

If it is the most stable car you have been in...then I think you should try other cars, such as the BMW M3 or a Porsche, they are made for speed and so can handle the speed over 180km/h.

As everyone else mentioned, the tailshaft would most likely give way and can cause a probable fatal accident at those speeds. Upgrade your drivetrain and suspensions before you attempt to go any faster then 180km/h

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:54 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
lol at stable stock suspension.
They feel like a boat at speed lol.

You need new springs (200-250 for off the shelf Kings), shocks(400 or so for decent pedders), swaybars, possibly camber kit, new bushes etc.
And if you buy Koni or whiteline then double or even triple what the kings n pedders gear costs.

Koni and Whiteline are worth their penny though ;). Bilstein is the way to go if you want to go all out. Bilstein will definitely keep your car on the road at high speeds, their made for it.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Its a Fairmont Ghia, its not Ticky, might have the donk n driveline, discounting the tail shaft, but its no better than a GLi really, only 35 mm lower stock, it has stock brakes etc, only has 4 kw more than a stock GLi, as was said, spend money on the suspension , not being a wannabe boy racer, glad you dont live here, otherwise i would be cleaning you up off the road soon with that juvenile attitude. Let me guess your around 18????

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:

Koni and Whiteline are worth their penny though ;). Bilstein is the way to go if you want to go all out. Bilstein will definitely keep your car on the road at high speeds, their made for it.

phong =P~

Definitely worth the $$, and by the sounds of it if he wants adjustable suspension then he'll have to fork out the dollars.

Honestly I dont see the point in exceeding 180kph. Its far more fun/exhilarating dragging up to somewhere near the speed limit anyway.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Post subject: Re: WHY NOT
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

dwy01 wrote:
I plan on modifying my fairmont a fair bit and there is no point leaving a car unable to unleash its potential.

and where do you plan to use this potential? forget quarter mile as you wont get 180km/h, and as for racing, well I doubt you would use a fairmont ghia for a track car, which leaves the street...

but if this car is somehow intended for track use you shouldn't even consider removing the limiter until after you have a new driveshaft, upgraded suspension and swaybars and aftermarket brakes, however considering you would only be doing this if its a track car then you should already have this done. Considering it is a track car which is likely to see high levels of lateral force from cornering at high speeds you will also want to get your chassis reinforced.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:38 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

And good luck finding a track, where you'll even reach 180 in an unmodded E series. Even in my GT-P the front straight at Oran Park isn't long enough to get much past 210km/h (depending on the exit speed from turn 11).

edit: Oh, yeah it was my EL that destroyed itself on a dyno at only 192km/h when the tailshaft and gearbox decided they wanted out. Leave the 180 limiter there. If you want a faster car - buy one.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: FG 50th Anni G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

data_mine wrote:
And good luck finding a track, where you'll even reach 180 in an unmodded E series. Even in my GT-P the front straight at Oran Park isn't long enough to get much past 210km/h (depending on the exit speed from turn 11).

edit: Oh, yeah it was my EL that destroyed itself on a dyno at only 192km/h when the tailshaft and gearbox decided they wanted out. Leave the 180 limiter there. If you want a faster car - buy one.

I was about to direct him to that post! Buy i CBF finding it now lol
As stated above, unless your track racing, with a lot of money to that car.. you wont hit 180. You can forget about it down the quarter. And if your speeding at 180 on public roads, i hope you dont hit anything.

Post subject: Re: OK
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
dwy01 wrote:
Point takin joolz. I can understand where your coming from. And Fordfairmont why do i need to spend thousands. I explained my car is all Tickford and is one of the most stable cars i have been in..

As froudy said, it may be a Tickford and stable, but that is at the factory limited speed of 180km/h. They may have put the rev and speed limiter there for a reason. At 180km/h the vehicle is not as stable is it would be at 100km/h and going any faster could cause many problems. Ford made cars to be street legal and to be safe on the roads up to speeds they think the car can handle, which is 180km/h...so by bypassing the speed limiter you are basically putting the car at risk of exploding into millions of pieces (when something breaks and you hit something at 180km/h...not engine going boom). If it is the most stable car you have been in...then I think you should try other cars, such as the BMW M3 or a Porsche, they are made for speed and so can handle the speed over 180km/h.

As everyone else mentioned, the tailshaft would most likely give way and can cause a probable fatal accident at those speeds. Upgrade your drivetrain and suspensions before you attempt to go any faster then 180km/h

phong =P~
Being on the end of a high speed tailshaft failure I can tell you you don't want to be there. As pointed out 180kph is for the track and an up rated tailshaft is recommended. The Alloy ones are readily available and are fitted to ELGT's where there are no limiter.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Power: 192 rwkw

SA, Australia

dwy01 wrote:
I plan on modifying my fairmont a fair bit and there is no point leaving a car unable to unleash its potential. Im sure you can see my point of view. Anyway 180KPH isnt all that fast. My old mans XW did 175. Oh yes thats MPH to. Doors used to suck out from the car. Thats fast!!

ur old mans xw did 265kmh? please

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MKII Futura

VIC, Australia

3.9from hell wrote:
dwy01 wrote:
I plan on modifying my fairmont a fair bit and there is no point leaving a car unable to unleash its potential. Im sure you can see my point of view. Anyway 180KPH isnt all that fast. My old mans XW did 175. Oh yes thats MPH to. Doors used to suck out from the car. Thats fast!!

ur old mans xw did 265kmh? please

and if it did, sounds like hes done it on the road.

so A) its s**t or b) hes a f**k idiot for doing it

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

175 mph is 280kmh. thats faarrrken quick.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

top speed is 140mph with rev limiter, 155 without, stock.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 6  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next