Fordmods Logo

69mm Throttle Body - Need more dyno tuning?? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 69mm Throttle Body - Need more dyno tuning??
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Turbo EL

VIC, Australia

Hey guys

I originally saw the 69mm throttle bodies for a 6 cyl awhile back and never really had the money to play around with one.... since then I have added some bits and pieces onto the car like cam and exhaust the usual things. With all these added I went and had it dyno tuned at CVE with a j3 chip, but was wondering if i now added a larger throttle body after the tune would I need to go and perhaps get another tune??

Cheers

Build Thread:
1998 Turbo EL Futura Sapphire

Post subject: Re: 69mm Throttle Body - Need more dyno tuning??
Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

No

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Falcon AUII

NSW, Australia

I seriously doubt a larger throttle body will net you any (noticeable) benefit with just "standard" things like you've described. The throttle body is already fairly large.

Thanks, Thomas.

My Megasquirt 3 install: here

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

thomas505 wrote:
I seriously doubt a larger throttle body will net you any (noticeable) benefit with just "standard" things like you've described. The throttle body is already fairly large.

Thanks, Thomas.

There are graphs going around the site somewhere showing a hp or 2 increase & also ppls personal experiences using them. In terms of a retune, if your looking for peak power or a 1-2% fuel efficiency increase with it, yes. Otherwise the ecu will figure it all out in time

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

OK cool :) Thanks for the help guys.

Yeah wasn't entirly sure if another tune was warrented for such a part, looks like some gain can be made from what others members have found but not a hell of a lot.

Build Thread:

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:21 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

B Bear wrote:
OK cool :) Thanks for the help guys.

Yeah wasn't entirly sure if another tune was warrented for such a part, looks like some gain can be made from what others members have found but not a hell of a lot.

I think you're better off just smoothing out the current one. Might see some better throttle response. There is a thread going around some where that had someone do a DIY job on their throttle body...can't remember if there were any gains though.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah I remember that doco think I saved some info on it, that was another option I had in mind. However to do that I had to go and get a dremel at the cheapest that was 105 so for bout another 120 I could get it done from the mob on eBay.

Maybe when I have a free $200 I'll give it a whirl, as my curve at the moment is pretty smooth and I'm happy with it.

Build Thread:

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:12 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

B Bear wrote:
Yeah I remember that doco think I saved some info on it, that was another option I had in mind. However to do that I had to go and get a dremel at the cheapest that was 105 so for bout another 120 I could get it done from the mob on eBay.

Maybe when I have a free $200 I'll give it a whirl, as my curve at the moment is pretty smooth and I'm happy with it.

Don't need a Dremel. Some wet and dry sand paper does the job just fine, you don't need to polish it, just remove some pits and grooves. If you want to polish it, then yes it will take much much longer. Probably a weekend worth of sanding, sore hands and a few too many beers can have some results. Just depends how keen you are.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I do like that idea as well, would take a lot longer but it could be satisfying and gives me something to do :)

Have you tried that method phongus?

Build Thread:

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:04 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

B Bear wrote:
I do like that idea as well, would take a lot longer but it could be satisfying and gives me something to do :)

Have you tried that method phongus?

No...I was thinking about it. I'm lazy at the moment and free-time is pretty rare, but hopefully I can test it out on one of my spare TBs. I'd probably take more than a weekend though with other projects to finish first.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah it's one of those projects that would be fiddly and time consuming. Might be better if I invested in a spare TB to do it on so I don't have the car off the road for a few days.

Build Thread:

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

I noticed more power with the bigger TB but it completely threw out my idle speed control so I tried the usual tricks to fix it, but the only thing that worked was a J3 tuned specifically for the mods I had. I think you might need a retune.

As much as people like to tell you the bigger TB's don't do anything, it really comes down to how you've modded your motor. I found after numerous intake mods the TB was the most restrictive part, so I got the 68mm item and it is still a little smaller than I'd like (does anyone make a 75mm item for the 4.0???).

Good luck with it, and let us know how you go!

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

That's what I was afraid of, having another tune. I do remember reading on another thread metasaiah that you did have luck with fitting the 69mm TB. Would it really be worth going any bigger than that though do you think? Is your car turbo?
Also found the TB doco that I saved awhile back by KWIKXR..... here is the link if anyone else reading is interested:
http://www.fordmods.com/fordmods-technical-documents-diy-f38/improving-your-6cyl-e-series-throttlebody-the-diy-way-t84040.html

When I get a chance to try it out on a spare TB I will keep you informed.

Build Thread:

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

Just remember that making power is all about improving flow. Any flow restriction is a potential power restriction so you need to eliminate any bottlenecks in your system. My car is n/a but I am getting good results - 14.9 sec @ 97mph in a full weight EF auto with 3.08 single spinner diff and 40psi in the tyres! Don't believe these kids who tell you that you need to have a degree of restriction or that the stock components flow more than enough. These are the guys who can't get more than 165rwkW out of a n/a manual car because they are convinced their car runs too rich and won't upgrade the injection... I got 174rwkW with a mild cam, intake and exhaust mods and running a j3 with bigger injectors and regulator. There's more in it yet and I reckon I'll get 200rwkW with the right combo.

Let the flaming begin!!!

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:23 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Falcon

WA, Australia

Tim you are a complete f**k and you dont know what youre doing :P hahaha just kidding. its great to see you got that power figure with those mods. Do you know where you got your throttle body from as im going to be buying one soon for my new engine. and Yes i will be getting a tune done to suit it.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next