Post subject: Advice plz - High rwkw falcons and transmissions
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Hi all,

My apologies for the novel. :lol:

I'm really keen on spending some $$$ to get my EFII XR6 to the 400+rwkw mark. This will be EF/AU hybrid engine setup with GT35/40 turbo.

Ive spoken to Mark from ITS about doing a transmission swap from my auto to a manual which he can do for $1250 - my issue there though is i'v read threads saying the stock Ef manual T5 i think will only stand up to 250rwkw....so i called mal wood automotive whom are know for their top work on the APS BA turbo falcons and they said for thatpower i would have to spend about $6500. Out of that would be round $1900 just for the clutch (billet steel, twin plate setup)

Just after advice on what peoples thoughts were - whether their a cheaper options that will last..etc.

NOTE : the 400rwkw isnt going to be running all the time as this is my everyday vehicle - this power woul be for the odd car shows, fordmods dyno days, 1 or 2 track days a year etc

Thanks all
Kev

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR6

SA, Australia

I am by no means an expert. Manuals are easier to fix and the T5 is'nt a bad manual although it may struggle with 400 kw.
Automatics however will cope far better for high kw applications and I would have imagined this to be closer to your needs?

Not lost any demerit points

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

The only thing that really puts me off my auto is mates have the exact same falcons as mine but theirs are manuals and u feel the power of the car well acceleration anyway sooo much more in theirs than u do in mine....as far as money i would rather spend abit to have my strengthened ec just whether this will last thats all

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:53 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XRGLi EF

WA, Australia

i dont mean to cut ya down here mate... but i think u should think of how much u want to spend first and then figure out what KW u can get with the $$$$$..... rather than KW first then $$$..... for a 400rwkw car u will be spending around 20 G's i would imagine if u did it properly.... i.e. rebuilding diff, box, engine, + numerous $$ for tuning, also would need aorund 3 grand on brakes with that kind of power..... if u didnt do all these kinda things u would find urself forking out money down the track

BA XR8 manual ute black

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

azza wrote:
i dont mean to cut ya down here mate... but i think u should think of how much u want to spend first and then figure out what KW u can get with the $$$$$..... rather than KW first then $$$..... for a 400rwkw car u will be spending around 20 G's i would imagine if u did it properly.... i.e. rebuilding diff, box, engine, + numerous $$ for tuning, also would need aorund 3 grand on brakes with that kind of power..... if u didnt do all these kinda things u would find urself forking out money down the track

Absolutely right .... thats also why i'm getting so many opinions on various aspects of what im wanting to but together b4 i start.

Yes with the engine, transmission, turbo setup, wheels, brakes ...dah dah dah...it will be costing around $30K

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:44 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF GliXR

ACT, Australia

hah! way to shoot azza down. this lad's got money and he's gonna spend it good. :twisted:

\m/

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

rockerfella wrote:
hah! way to shoot azza down. this lad's got money and he's gonna spend it good. :twisted:

:P nah azza has the right idea ahah

Yeah the money is pretty much there just wanna make sure i get the right gear without overspending but dont want components to die either well not at least a few thousand kms :lol:

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:06 pm 
Tyre Shredder

ACT, Australia

just make sure u give us a burnout in the bunnings parking lot when it's all done.

\m/

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

lol :twisted: :P

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:13 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Skyline

QLD, Australia

People may say you feel the power more etc in manual cars. This is only true for slowish cars that do 13's and 14's and over. With 400RWKW, an auto will be faster and cheaper, prabably around 3.5-4K for a auto built for drag racing. A manual that you won't have to baby will cost an absolute fortune unless you want to put up with a clunky 4 speed top loader, and clutches for this sort of power cost s**t and you will be burning them out a lot. Your car will be a hole shot hero with the auto, just the thing for winning every traffic light battle with worked commodores and skylines.

R31 Skyline
2JZ GTE, stock engine, turbos, auto, and ECU.
12.5 @ 115mph
100% Owner built

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:06 am 
Tyre Shredder

ACT, Australia

maybe u could invest in an auto with sequential sports shift like the ba's have. now that'd be fun!

\m/

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

auto is the way to go chaper and will be faster to than a manual unless u could get a dog box and change like a v8 driver.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

ring up lilydale automatics.

Apparantly they can build you a BA turbo spec trans for $2500, you will keep your overdrive and the power will be fine.

Trust with the torque of a turbo you will foget all about the difference a manual makes on a normally stock falcon.

None of my manual falcon mates can keep up with me and I only have 186rwkw.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
ring up lilydale automatics.

Apparantly they can build you a BA turbo spec trans for $2500, you will keep your overdrive and the power will be fine.

Trust with the torque of a turbo you will foget all about the difference a manual makes on a normally stock falcon.

None of my manual falcon mates can keep up with me and I only have 186rwkw.

Sorry im in canberra do u happen to have a contact number for them.....the lilydale auto mob

cheers sounds good...yeah i love the auto....especially for launches :P

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]