Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Aftermarket HLAs
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

Unit: AUII XR6 VCT Ute
I've purchased a few aftermarket lifters (HLAs) from the usual suspect commercial outlets to fix the odd bit of lifter noise, one at a time,& also bakerlite retainer clip sets.
I was considering buying a whole new set, 12 for under $200. As at the moment it sounds like a harmony of ball bearings floating around in my rocker cover and I'm starting to notice some performance loss.
I was just wondering how many people have used them and what sort of longevity to expect as opposed to genuine, obviously there is a great price difference. It's a PITA pulling the rack out and cleaning so....

The other option was to throw in a twin cam and run with au pcm and throttle etc. Second hand can be had from $250... obviously with a few more incidentals to get it going but it has been done, FTG done it I believe. Although it would be a shame to get rid of a good motor though, the au vct has impressed the hell out of me.

Which I guess leads me to another question: If your only powering a daily work vehicle is rebuilding even worth it these days with the cost of second hand motors?

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Post subject: Re: Aftermarket HLAs
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

I haven't had any problems with my aftermarket HLA's so far, the brand I have I think are called 'Nason'.

They've been in for almost a year now (they went in with an reground cam, didn't use the bakerlite retainers because they go brittle and tend to break up after time), I've thrashed the s**t out of my engine in that time, have seen 6000rpm a fair few times and haven't had one fall apart so I guess they are okay, lol. Still get the odd rattle for a second or 2 on cold start up every now and then, but apart from that, can't complain.

I did notice compared to the original Ford ones, their build quality doesn't feel as good. Then again, I got these HLA's for like $6 each and the Ford one's are a hell of a lot more than that :shock:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Post subject: Re: Aftermarket HLAs
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

thanks mate, the name nason does ring a bell. as far as I know the bakerlite clips are really only there to aid in assembly, which is why they eventually perish.

They are $15 each from where I priced them the other day. Mayhaps I shall ask what brand they are.Spending another $70+ on a twin cam with the extra factory kw still sounds pheasible. Could anyone tell me; do B series have lifter problems in high KM units?

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]