High coolant temp may not mean that the Engine temp is high
What else makes your coolant hot if not the engine ?! :P

ImageImage

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

I guess that the air con gas was low as the air coming out of the vents was only cool. This time last year it was like ice. Also whenever I shut the aircon off sometimes i get water dripping from underneath the car. I was told that this should happpen and if it doesn't then something is wrong. Its pretty freaky watching your temp guage climbing while the thermos are going nuts trying to cool the thing down.

Well today was fine running but occasionally the car would stumble off the line and the gearbox feels like its on its last legs. Driving on the freeway and the torque converter couldn't make up its mind if it wanted to lock or not. I think the heat has definitely killed it.

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

96ghia wrote:
Just remember the coolant temp is just that.
COOLANT temp! the temp to be worried about is Cyl Head temp.

slight variations are caused by the Air flowing through the radiator.
High coolant temp may not mean that the Engine temp is high, and vice versa, depending on problems.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the AU I think changed the temp sensor to read from the Cyl head, not the coolant, correct?

the AU falcons don't read coolent temp. they read CYL HEAD temp.

but unless it went into the red it should be fine.

with the auto doing what it did. there is a good chance your auto fluid is now burnt and stuffed. i would suggest having you radiator flushed and having your auto flushed as well, not just a 4L pan change but a proper flush. also look into getting a good size auto cooler fitted

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Happy wrote:
I thought the AU had smarts to shut down cylinders to stop heat build up if something went wrong?

Only the straight petrols have those smarts cause how are you going to shut down cylinders on an LPG engine without a massive backfire. That's also why all LPG falcons don't have speed limiters and don't have traction control either.

I'll have it all proffesionally looked at next week. I changed the plugs today cause I thought they might have been the problem and they were bad. There was white/grey carbon deposits on the electrodes about 1/2 to 1mm thich all over the elctroded. It runs heaps smoother now. It used to ping like a b**ch on LPG at anything more than 1/4 throttle but now its magic. Gearbox still feels stuffed. Its getting looked at next week. Also my car also has a tranny cooler fitted. One of those big fleet suckers but it does seep a bit of tranny fluid from one of the line fittings. I'd like to put a BnM drag tranny cooler there and matching tranny temp guage but I don't think my old man would be too impressed. Anyway I'll keep you all posted.

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Gee how hard would it be to check if the fans are working?Amazing first thing I would have checked.

AU series1 Futura Duel Fuel,ceramic coated Pacemaker Headers,Hi-Flow cat.2.5in. exhaust,T-series snorkel,K&N panel filter,D.B.A.Slotted Rotors

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

They work and they work very well. I've never had a problem with them and I check them regularly out of paranoia.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2