Autolite spark plugs 

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Autolite spark plugs
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:24 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU VCT,68 LANE,84 COURIER,

QLD, Australia

obviously not the same plugs,what is the plug used by mocked motorsport.

YOU CAN LIVE IN A CAR BUT YOU CANT DRIVE A HOUSE

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:50 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Few different plug types for clevelands,my AFD's use similar plug to 4.0 litre 5/8 hex long reach with washer,also nascar cross breed clevo windsor engines have a few plug types,sportsman have 12 and 16 mm plugs.sorry didnt mean they were for stock steel headded clevo.They cant be the same plugs sent to me by mock because you are using them for gas and they run good the heat range is in the opposite direction to the ford gas plug. so 985's are not what i was sent.

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_110291/article.html

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_108731/article.html

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:44 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

The conversion number for the 985 is ZFR4F,4 being the heat range of a***,the only real difference between the 985 and the ZGR6B (xr6 plug) is the hex and the heat range, 4 is a heat range used in high comp motors usually with carbs on them, I tried the 985 and the ngk ZFR4F and they did the same thing so unless the 985 have magic powers or "your on drugs" its just the heat range and you have to use a smaller socket. The ZGR6B (xr6 plug) does not come in a 4 heat range but i tried it in a 5.At the track the 985 s (when new) did have a smoother top end, i swapped them in between runs and the ZGR6B had a lot more pull after each gear change i think this comes from the longer electrode and of a*** the heat range.The BRE527Y (XF AND EA PLUG) has a long electrode,it does nt really rev as hard and even on the street you can feel its lazy. You can use any plug you want i guess, and having tuned cars that run on lpg you can see just what the gap and the electrode and of a*** heat range can do as its under a lot more stress to produce spark, after months tuning i found that a ngk plug in the 7 heat range worked best on lpg and after a dyno tune showed it was very close in power to when it was on fuel.Any way after days of driving around with ten sets of spark plugs (joys of selling car parts)i found i ended up back where i started ZGR6B NGK. maybe 985's are like vct engines or brock polarisers.

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:54 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

the 985 (in ngk) is first in line and the xr6 plug second and then the xf ea plug. There is more then one way to skin a cat though.

Attachments:
Image096.jpg
Image096.jpg [ 359.51 KiB | Viewed 184 times ]

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

jamie22_cole wrote:
so whats the difference between the auotlite 985's and APP63's spark plugs then they both have 1.1 gap on them and will the 985's work fine in a EL XR6?

985s are meant to be 0.9 but autolites ability to keep gaps consistent is a little lacking.

Autofast2 wrote:
Few different plug types for clevelands,my AFD's use similar plug to 4.0 litre 5/8 hex long reach with washer,also nascar cross breed clevo windsor engines have a few plug types,sportsman have 12 and 16 mm plugs.sorry didnt mean they were for stock steel headded clevo.They cant be the same plugs sent to me by mock because you are using them for gas and they run good the heat range is in the opposite direction to the ford gas plug. so 985's are not what i was sent.

we are currently running a 1000hp clevo AFD headed windsor engine.
by you thinking we could have also said they a twin cam ford laser plug. same 5/8 socket drive.

obviously because of the 300hp of nitrous we use, our engine runs a completely different autolite plug.

Alloy headed 'T' series falcons are the only Australian released SBF to use a washer seat plug.

the 985s are hot plug. they also have about 3mm more reach then the XF to ED plug. even though the ZGRxB plug is the cross reference number doesn't mean the plug is identical.

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:35 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

so whats so different would be more then happy to bet the 985s do stuff all different.And yeah you can use pulsar plugs in a falcon aswell you can use what ever you want and just to prove it the 985s were dicovered by accident. This could go on for ever you can use whatever works but hey if they are magic i got ripped.

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

defensive bugger aren't you.

if you can't work what would need to be different for an engine like ours, you probably shouldn't be giving out advice on plugs in the first place. sorry

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:56 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

well no looking at the plug i cant tell you whats going to work,but having the time, i tested all the plugs even the pretty black 985s and changed the gap on all of them.I found out that the computer will take up alot of the slack in timing changes that occur from different plugs unlike a carby car (without an ignition box) i think the 985s because of there heat range would be a good plug for a motor with high comp (higher than mine) i will dig up an old 985 (they foul easy on early e series without mods) and have a good look maybe we go one step further and when my car goes for a tune we put the 985s to a real test against my collection of spark plugs. From track testing and road driving i am overly confident that whatever the 985s make on the dyno they loose on the road, what advise? i will say from my testing from now on. Here is some advise use the plug recommended by the manufacturer dont stray to far from the heat range without major mods dont change the gap to much,and if you are worried about the price of spark plugs you should nt be putting your engine at risk by using something not meant for your engine even if they are $4

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Autofast2 wrote:
i think the 985s because of there heat range would be a good plug for a motor with high comp ....

i thought a motor with high comp needs a colder plug?

sorry if im way off, but im just trying to make sense of things here !!

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:33 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

i agree that in theory this is true 4 would appear to be outta the ball park. But with timing and how rich your car is running the temp of your engine and all the other factors electrod length how much insulation. Like tickford_6 said before its more about knowing what plug you need for the type of engine you have so i guess you have to have all the factors in front of you to work out whats going to work. In my testing i have found that you will find that there is not a lot to be gained in this area not on a mild street engine anyway, you should how ever read the plugs, your work shop manual usually has pictures of whats what and from there you can work out wich way you want go to improve your engine. This is not advise !

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

I'm pretty sure JMM use those Autolite plugs because they've found they can dial in more base timing... - THAT's where they manage to get the extra few KW from.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Greenmachine wrote:
I'm pretty sure JMM use those Autolite plugs because they've found they can dial in more base timing... - THAT's where they manage to get the extra few KW from.

i think you'll find they claim a power increase by screwing in the plugs with no other changes.

not that you are ever going to be to feel such a small change.
like was said in the other thread, try them, and do some long term (a few months) fuel economy testing. ANY mod that can increase power with out any tuning changes should show an improvement in economy.

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Greenmachine wrote:

i think you'll find they claim a power increase by screwing in the plugs with no other changes.

not that you are ever going to be to feel such a small change.
like was said in the other thread, try them, and do some long term (a few months) fuel economy testing. ANY mod that can increase power with out any tuning changes should show an improvement in economy.

uh, no, Brendan TOLD me that those Autolite plugs allow them to run more base timing... - can't be bothered looking but pretty sure somewhere on their site it says that also.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:57 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

sounds kinda like what someone said before

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next