Fordmods Logo

BA/BF motor into later E-series. 

Page 9 of 17 [ 241 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

you're mad if you're going into it thinking its a simple bolt in job.
its always been possible, but not many people are willing to go and buy a BA motor, aftermarket ECU, what ever other custom bits are required.

a lot of us are tight a***, $3-4k on an engine change is a lot of coin on a stock engine :P

not to mention a year ago these engines werent this cheap.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

EFFalcon wrote:
you're mad if you're going into it thinking its a simple bolt in job.
its always been possible, but not many people are willing to go and buy a BA motor, aftermarket ECU, what ever other custom bits are required.

a lot of us are tight a***, $3-4k on an engine change is a lot of coin on a stock engine :P

not to mention a year ago these engines werent this cheap.
Yeah thats how I looked at it, for that money id look into a supercharger or somthing as you would get better results, but as time goes on and new fords come out I think this conversion will get done more and more as the parts will get much cheaper.

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

This is exciting isn't it! Can't wait to see somebody get into this, it'll be rather memorable. :D

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

yeah ba motors can be had for a grand now, but if you arent looking to turbo there is no real point as ure only advantage is flow, so the new wolf v5 does dual vct as well as sequential injection sounds like an unreal unit now. even though price has gone up a fair bit from the old vertion.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Rapier wrote:
yeah ba motors can be had for a grand now, but if you arent looking to turbo there is no real point as ure only advantage is flow, so the new wolf v5 does dual vct as well as sequential injection sounds like an unreal unit now. even though price has gone up a fair bit from the old vertion.

There is and advantage if your not going to turbo. We are hitting a wall with the power we can get out of streetable NA SOHC's. The DOHC has more potential.

In the bigger picture this isnt a hard conversion to do (much more exotic engines have been fitted into e-series falcons). Its just that once a few people have done it and the issues are sorted then it will be a really good engine conversion for the lighter falcons.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

200+ rwkw easily from a N/A 6 in an eseries, and completely legal?

i can see a massive point ;)

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

how much extra power can you make when the dual vct isnt running though. whats the most power out of a barra so far. most people spend money on making the turbos go fast

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Rapier wrote:
how much extra power can you make when the dual vct isnt running though. whats the most power out of a barra so far. most people spend money on making the turbos go fast

VCT won't make much difference to peak power if the cams are dialed right.
not to mention the added complexity of VCT and aftermarket cams.

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Rapier wrote:

NA DOHC's have cracked 200 rwkw. 180 can be had without opening the rocker cover!

And why limit ourselves to not having VCT working. You have to start somewhere and that is getting the engine in working. Once that is done, look at getting the rest. And so what if others are making the turbos go fast, does that mean people here cant make the NA's go fast?

Seems like what your saying is that because its not just going to drop straight in and run with the power of a turbo its not worth doing. I bet plenty of others here would disagree.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

hmmmm

i would love to fiddle round with a motor just to see how they perform without vct and maybe just running it with an ms2 or something

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:57 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Well...once I get my finances sorted, finish uni (3 days) I will see if this is going ahead. But after looking at all the problems, I may have a bit of a struggle convincing my parents to give me some dosh to start it. Will get back to you all over the weekend or next week.

cheers for everyones information, research and pictures.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Rapier wrote:

Like many others have said. It won't make any difference to the maximum power number if the cams are statically dialled in correctly. Where it will make its difference is down low and in the mid range. And also the longer duration cam you run the less room you have to play with before valves touch pistons.

I may be talking s**t and being a bit of a dreamer but I would love to see exactly what the SOHC is capable of. Nizpro had to spin their engine to 7000rpm to get 1000hp. A lot of the guys making 300-350kw at the wheels only spin to 5500-6000rpm. It is well known that the billet rods and forged pistons for BA's are interchangeable with all E series engines and can be had for under 2k for a set. Now when is someone who is a bit more cashed up then I am going to drop one of these rods and pistons into an E or A series engine, port the hell out of the head, fit a monster cam and turbo, pump it with 30psi and rev it to 7000rpm+ so we can see just what sort of numbers it will spit out?

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:33 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Well it is comfirmed that FTG are trying to put a BA engine into an earlier model...but into an AU...and from that the AU ECU may be used to run the motor but they'll get back to me on that.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

I'm with Rapier.

While I would LOVE to see a DOHC BA/BF donk dropped into an E-series Falcon, I think if you're going to do it (and I mean, if you are serious about doing it), wouldn't the huffer motah be the go?

Wouldn't be a great deal extra in cost (not when you look at it in relativaty), yet the extra performance, credibility and future tuning potential would be much better than dropping in the N/A motor.

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

But if your going to go full house then you are better off buying the NA motor and rebuilding that as you are going to replace everything on the turbo motor. Save yourself a few k.

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 17  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next