Fordmods Logo

BA/BF motor into later E-series. 

Page 1 of 17 [ 241 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

Post subject: BA/BF motor into later E-series.
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:28 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hey everyone. I have a lot of interest in doing this transplant and since I have not job and nothing to do over the holidays I thought I might be able to do this with a whole lotta help from my mechanic...I'm mechanically challenged.

Anyways what the hell is required to do this transplant. So far all i know is the motor itself, wiring loom and ECU...the rest I'm not sure off.

By the way...money comes from parents until I start an apprenticeship next year. Once I do get the apprenticeship I'll probably get a ute and use my EL Fairmont as a project car.

I know it seems far fetch for someone like me but I thought I might just ask. If i do go through with this I will put a tech doco for anyone else interested.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

You might first wan't to take some measurements of your dads wallet. This could well blow out to over $10k if your getting someone to do it. Best hit him for a loan for an BA xr6 or XR6T to start with.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Engine would cost about 2000 with everything. I have a mate who is a mechanic so he could probably do it for me for cheaper. The only problem that I can think of at the moment is the K frame and how the engine wont sit right and a bonnet buldge so the bonnet would close. Aftermarket engine management unit would set me back about another 2000. If all goes to plan, doubtful, I would hope to get this conversion done for 8000.

phong =P~

EDIT: got a query...would it be easier to chuck a BA 8 in there? or did the 8s also change?

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Have you thought about doing a search and reading the other 300 threads that people asked this exact question?

As for what's involved, there's f**k all people that have done it, so your either going to have to find them and ask them (as there the only ones who'll know), or go it yourself.

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

Whether your mate is a mechanic or not is irrelevant, mechanically the BA motor is a pisser to fit as AU ones have been done before many times, its electrically and actually getting it to start where the $$$ come in.

For the 2k you spend just getting the BA motor you could have your EL I6 going just as quick

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF 95' Fairmont

WA, Australia

GL With the conversion phongus.. Would be great if you did a tech doco cause then more people might do it :) God Speed And Good Luck and people if your not gonna be helpful and just flame DONT post......

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

i dunno i rekon this could be done cheaper now, ba engines are getting a lot cheaper. if ure you were quite clever you could use a ms2 to use as an ecu, not sure on controlling the vct though, but getting it to fit is really no big problem, with a bulge and slight modification to sump k-frame.

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:11 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Cheers. I know there is a lot of money involved. Like i said it is a far fetched idea, especially for someone like me who is currently jobless and not mechnanically minded. A lot of dollers are needed and having a mechanic is always better then doing it alone.

fordzatmyplace i agree with you that if i spend the 2k on the EL engine I could get just as fast as a BA in an EL, but the EL engine is not as strong as the BA so I have heard.

twr7cx I have read some of the post and as you stated...not many people have done it before but I'd thought I'd pitch it anyways.

Cyn4NiD3 thanks and I'm going to need all the luck I can get if I'm going to go through with this.

I'll see whats going to happen once I speak to my mechanic.

phong =P~

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:30 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA FALCON

QLD, Australia

talking alot of money there mate, hahaha, ur parents must be loaded! would be a good project though, u would be better off doing the turbo motor, the standard 6 motor out of the ba wouldnt be worth the hassel you would go thru, mite as well do the xr6t

CAM860 - White BA 05 Futura, GT bodykit, Cobra badges, BSA 18" mags, Altezza tail lights, Lower bumper forced pod induction

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

CAMERONCOULSTON wrote:
talking alot of money there mate, hahaha, ur parents must be loaded! would be a good project though, u would be better off doing the turbo motor, the standard 6 motor out of the ba wouldnt be worth the hassel you would go thru, mite as well do the xr6t

nah parents aren't loaded...but they can supply me enough to get parts...This will be a long project though...not an instant project. Though I am contemplating since it is a pretty long process. Either that or I just wait till next year when things get a bit cheaper ;)

phong =P~

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

phong mate, i MIGHT know someone doing this conversion at the moment, wink wink nudge nudge.

so if you do end up doing the conversion (theres alot of money to be spent) i can help you out a bit with what ive learnt so far.

the motor will fit esp as you have a fairmont bonnet.
you have two choices for sump, cut k-frame, or buy a sump premade to fit the eseries (yes they do exist)
computer you WILL need a wolf or similer to run the motor.

budget, ~1500 for motor, ~1500 to fit, ~1000 in misc parts, ~1800 for the wolf, so its not cheap. you could turbo your car for that and get much better power, but remember turbo is cheating :)

hope it helps,
Rushed

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

FTG are attempting to install one into an AU running on AU ECU.
obviously simpler on an AU due to coil packs (no dizzy shaft on BA engines) and kframe clearing.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

given they are a coil pack would an ef ecu run it ?

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Happy wrote:
given they are a coil pack would an ef ecu run it ?

hehe - i posted that suggestion the other day. I think it might be the easiest way to get it working in an e-series.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

BA motors arnt coil pack, they've got Coil on plug, how ever people seem to be saying you could run normal leads to them anyway.

in theory an EF ecu may run it better then an AU one in that an EF uses batch injection so doesn't really need the cam angle sensor, where as the AU's run sequential so need the cam angle sensor.
then again, who knows if an EF or AU ECU would be upto fueling it.
fuel/ignition maps would be off, and you'd have no VCT.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 17  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next