Fordmods Logo

BA XR6T hot thin oil and a low idle -> low idle oil pressure 

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: BA XR6T hot thin oil and a low idle -> low idle oil pressure
Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:16 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

there is obviously a problem..
by modifying something that shouldn't need modifying , will bit you in the a** hard once you get that gas system installed..

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
there is obviously a problem..
by modifying something that shouldn't need modifying , will bit you in the a** hard once you get that gas system installed..

you are right I guess.. I just keep relating it to EL's where you can block the ISC (or just partially block it) and make adjustments to the grub screw... I miss that simplicity. :-)

I own a mongoose cable and 3 or 4 bluetooth odb readers.. last time I checked for errors there were some expected ones from the HIM module (to be expected as halfway though a dual zone conversion) but I didn't see anything engine related at all.

I cleared the codes a month ago, so will check to see what is showing today. (I leave a stumpy bluetooth odb reader in the port permanently so I can look stuff up using torque on my phone or tablet whenever I need to.) In fact I might pop downstairs and check now.

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

hmmm.. just got the error codes..

There is one new powertrain one and lots of old body ones.

powertrain one is P0196 which is apparently "Engine Oil Temperature sensor Range/Performance"

If the oil temp sensor is the same one that registers a stop in oil pressure to display a light on the dash, then its possible I didn't push the cable on hard enough when I put my oil pressure sender and T piece in there. This is a new error though and I've never seen it before today so I doubt it's related to the idle problem. Since there is no dash light, it is even possible that this error stems from me testing the gauge by starting the car before I'd plugged the factory sender switch back in... I'll clear the errors again before I drive home.

The body ones are:

B1242 "Air flow recirculation door driver failure"
B1255 "Air temperature external sensor open"
B1250 "Air temperature internal sensor failure"
B2007 "Driver/Passenger Solar radiation Sun load sensor faulty"
B2890 "Sensor out of range"
B1499 "Lamp turn signal left circuit failure"

So in short.. the body ones are because I have only a dual zone ICC and a reprogrammed HIM thus far.. still waiting on the looms/sensors etc that I need for full dual zone. And I apparently have a blown indicator on the left hand side.

No useful powertrain errors though.

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

OK, I cleared the codes last night.. and drove home and to work this morning.

just checked codes again.

P0196 is nowhere to be seen so it must have happened when I was putting in the pressure gauge sender.

So no codes related to the powertrain at all. (just the same climate control related ones.)

I've got the new oxy sensor coming.. so I'll wack that in, but not overly confident it will help..

Perhaps I'll replace the PCV valve just to be safe.

One other odd note, even with the leaking intake manifold it used to have, (fixed now) it still idled too low.. I would have thought the extra leaning air would have upped the revs a bit?

cheers

Frank

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

ECU is controlling the idle, probably set too low. get it checked and bumped up.

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

SWC wrote:
ECU is controlling the idle, probably set too low. get it checked and bumped up.

yep, I think we are down to that.. there is nothing else to check.. but that also means that it mustn't be a factory tune.. which makes me wonder why they left the overboost protection on at 10-12psi.

My only concern with the oil pressure was engine damage, I can live with the low idle till I get the CAT and injectors in and the custom tune done. The oil cooler should help with the oil pressure, so should all be fine shortly.

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

frankieh wrote:
SWC wrote:

yep, I think we are down to that.. there is nothing else to check.. but that also means that it mustn't be a factory tune.. which makes me wonder why they left the overboost protection on at 10-12psi.

My only concern with the oil pressure was engine damage, I can live with the low idle till I get the CAT and injectors in and the custom tune done. The oil cooler should help with the oil pressure, so should all be fine shortly.

Whats the over boost normally set at? 8psi is around what they run standard so I would have thought 10-12 would be pretty high for an over boost cut out.

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Sloxr6 wrote:
frankieh wrote:
SWC wrote:

Whats the over boost normally set at? 8psi is around what they run standard so I would have thought 10-12 would be pretty high for an over boost cut out.

I think the normal boost on a BA XR6T is 6 PSI max.

Mine has a turbotech modded turbo and a 7PSI spring so it seems to go over that on a regular basis.. the highest I've seen the gauge read is 12PSI.. usually the overboost protection kicks in at 10PSI so I guess the 12 was just a transient boost that happened too fast for the overboost to stop.

I think from reading posts here and the boosted forums that the standard point where the PCM starts cutting power to save engine damage is 10PSI.

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

New toys... xmas present to myself.

Narrow band oxy sensor (already have the wideband) and a huge thick oil cooler and sandwich plate with AN10 fittings and braided hose.

Also picked up a second hand tranny cooler about the same size only thinner. I left my feet in the picture for scale.. my feet are size 16.

I have a thermo fan that will bolt to this nicely. Should solve my oil pressure problems and prolong the engine.. and stop me killing my auto. (going to remove the radiator cooler.)

Gonna be hard to find places for these things in the front of an XR6T with an intercooler.

later it won't matter as I have my water to air intercooler to go in. (it's an RS turbo job from Subaru but I'm having bigger end pipes put on it in better locations and it will go on top of the engine under a humpy bonnet with the "Turbo intercooler" plate from the currrent top piece on top of it to look nicer. once the JTG goes on it will be even less important as I'll be pumping liquid gas into the intake charge.

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Well, got the oil cooler in.. moved the horns over and put the cooler where they were.

lowest oil pressure so far has been 17psi at 450rpm in drive.. that makes me feel much better than 7psi did. The 17 was only for a second before it stabilised at 23psi.

There was a little hose joining to the heater hose and running back around the engine.. I think maybe it was a pickup for the turbo cooling? anyway, someone had very badly tapped a brass fitting into a plastic hose joiner and it was leaking and would not have been flowing much coolant. As a result the turbo may have been running much hotter than it was supposed to.

I made a new piece using 3 3/4 brass fittings from repco screwed into a brass tap T piece from bunnings. works mint, won't break in future and would flow way better.

Anyway, the sandwich plate was a chinese multi fit job that was a pain in the a** to fit.. and the first time the O ring was spat out and I sprayed 3.5 litres of nearly new mobile 1 on the ground befoer I realised (had oil pressure so it wasn't obvious).\

While I was putting the cooler in, I noticed an FPV label on my intercooler. (see photo)

Looked up the part number and it's a BA/BF Typhoon intercooler. very cool (pardon pun)

Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

All the stock intercoolers have the fpv sticker on them. They must have been sourced from them or something. Its not a typhoon one.

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:14 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

I wound be a little cautious about how you mounted the oil cooler, cable tie?? really..lol
and if the cooler is touching steel anywhere it will rub through the alloy in no time..

Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Not just one cable tie mr troy... 4 of them! (About 12 if you count the ones on the hoses) Neither it nor the hoses at that end can move at all. It is rigidly locked in place. Also, only the actual feet are touching anything.

The position is only for a few months at most. Soon it will be down where the intercooler is now. Didnt want to fabricate mounting brackets for such a short stay.

Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Sloxr6 wrote:
All the stock intercoolers have the fpv sticker on them. They must have been sourced from them or something. Its not a typhoon one.

That is sad to hear. The part # is 8906-6k775-ab

I googled that and found lots of people talking about it and a couple mentioned typhoon.

Oh well.. No great loss as I was pulling it out in favour of the small water to air I bought when I was supercharging my EL anyway.. It will make the pipework way way shorter which has to be good for faster boost.

Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

johny Farnham wrote:
if you want to get heavy with a XR6T you get an oil cooler, the f6/typhoon runs them stock.

do you have more boost?

a few posts up is a photo of a giant oil cooler I just installed. I have a big transmission one going in tomorrow.

just installed an 82 degree hi flow thermostat also.

will be running 15 psi when I am done I think.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next