Fordmods Logo

Cam upgrade for a BA six 

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Cam upgrade for a BA six
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

My BA XT has extractors, exhaust, cold air intake and cat done - was thinking of going for some new cams next. My question is, is it actually necessary for the variable timing engines? As far as I knew it was infinitely variable on both the intake and exhaust, so is there any point to new cams? If so, what? I'm located in Perth, so somewhere there would be good.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:57 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA XR6

VIC, Australia

JMM will be releasing a cam and head package soon for the BA but seeing as you're in Perth i guess you could mail order them. Nizpro do have a good set of cams for the BA and they give around 25kw. They cost $2000 fitted. I think its a little expensive but from what ive heard the quality of their products is excellent. Check out their site for more details and look at their dealers because im pretty sure there is one in Perth. Hope that helps :D

If i were you though at this stage of your modifications, i think it would be more worthwile to get an edit done instead and then followed by cams. Its cheaper and will still give alot of power, especially in the lower half of the rev range helping to get the thing moving along faster. Meh, correct me if im wrong but thats my 2c worth.

Let us know how you go with your mods.
George

2003 BA XR6 - Intercooled Vortech Supercharger 243rwkw @ 8psi - 13.09 @ 109.6mph

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:40 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

I would agree time for an edit first which will sort out lots of things and help quite a bit with the mods u have.

Cams may not be the next or best thing to do next.

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:15 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU XR6 / XB 351 sedan

NSW, Australia

Aren't Herrods doing cam/edit packages for the BA 6 as well ? Or is that just the 8's ?

Waiting for tax time and more turbo bits to purchase

Dynosheet 16/04/05

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Edit? What does that involve? I'm not familiar with that term..

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:38 am 
Commercial Sponsor

VIC, Australia

An edit is basically like a computer upgrade like a unichip however it is specially designed for Fords so it has alot more areas which can be tuned.
Prices start from around $1300 for a standard tune and a couple of hundred extra for a custom tune. Some cars have gained around 13 to 15 rwkw with the tune. Seeing as you have extractors and a cai you would do a custom tune which will take into account those mods and may net a little more power. Its a great upgrade, totally undetectable, easy to use because you can change the different programs yourself in a couple of minutes. You can return the car back to stock in a couple of minutes when you take it to the dealer for a service. Awesome, its the first mod ill be doing to the xr when i start modifying it.

Is your car manual or auto fnp?

2003 BA XR6 - Intercooled Vortech Supercharger 243rwkw @ 8psi - 13.09 @ 109.6mph

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

It's an auto. I thought the stock computer in these was adaptable, and quite good?

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:01 am 
Commercial Sponsor

VIC, Australia

Yeah i think it is, however im not too sure. But, any aftermarket ecu upgrade with those mods really help tie all the mods together and make the car perform and run well. Some people have said that by running extractors on their ba 6 the car has stalling problems and with the edit those problems go away. Have you encountered such problems with the fitment of the extractors?

The edit however is really an awesome gadget and because yours is an auto you can also adjust shift times to make it change quicker. :D

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

i would get cams and an edit at the same time. other wise when you get your new cams you will need an other.. save some cash and do them together

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

It stalled once and ran somewhat roughly in the first 200km after fitting. It's now up to about 800km and all is well.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:01 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

VIC, Australia

Yours is okay then. Mine on the other hand with no mods except for a turbo snorkel and K&N air filter, has problems idling now, unbelievable! Once extractors go on i can imagine what will happen. With the edit i could raise the idle revs to help fix the problem cause ford cant seem to fix it.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:34 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

VIC, Australia

loxxr6 wrote:
Aren't Herrods doing cam/edit packages for the BA 6 as well ? Or is that just the 8's ?

Herrod don't have cam packages for the 6, they do for the 8. Somehow i don't think that Herrods will really get involved with the 6 like other workshops such as Nizpro or JMM anytime soon, apart from basic mods such as exhaust, edit and cai which they already have.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

By Edit you guys are talking about the CAPA BA Flashtuner right? www.capa.com.au

It works by reprograming you standard ECU, Much better than a unichip or (to some extent) aftermarket ecu because you keep all the standard stuff, like aircon, cold starting maps and just adjust what you need. No wiring and virtually undetectable.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:49 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

VIC, Australia

Spork wrote:
By Edit you guys are talking about the CAPA BA Flashtuner right? www.capa.com.au

It works by reprograming you standard ECU, Much better than a unichip or (to some extent) aftermarket ecu because you keep all the standard stuff, like aircon, cold starting maps and just adjust what you need. No wiring and virtually undetectable.

Yes thats right. There are so many different names out there for this product, Flash tuner, edit, Nizedit, Capa flashtuner, stealth etc.

Post subject: BA Cams for XR6
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hay XRCIST. I have turbo intake, KN Filter, Extractors & Exhaust. My car doesn't idle too well either and occasionally stalls & won't start. Ford are blaming the Exhaust and won't do anything about it, but a mate in QLD has a BA XR6 completely stock and has the same problems.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next