Fordmods Logo

car still running hot. 

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: car still running hot.
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

kip wrote:
i had the same problem after a head gasket change on my mothers car tuned out the mechanic didnt make sure all the cutouts in the head gasket were out was blocking off two galleries

wouldnt this cause the car to run hotter all the time?

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Yep

I picked up mine from the wreckers. Just an idea.

Going over it again, mine used to race up in temp to the O in normal and higher then the high speed fans kicked in

Replaced the relay, worked straight away and temps hardly went past the L in normal. Also had a 86 or 87 degree thermostat. Can't remember which one.

the relays from the wreckers? what are they worth new?

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Chargd wrote:
uniacidz wrote:
Yep

I picked up mine from the wreckers. Just an idea.

Going over it again, mine used to race up in temp to the O in normal and higher then the high speed fans kicked in

Replaced the relay, worked straight away and temps hardly went past the L in normal. Also had a 86 or 87 degree thermostat. Can't remember which one.

the relays from the wreckers? what are they worth new?

I got mine for free, i paid for other larger parts, showed them the relays, some screws and bits and pieces they said was cool. Probably cos i been there every weekend for the last 3-4 weeks.

New, $5-$10 pending on store

To the original poster.
Bit confused, you say the fans working 24/7 then say they working only when hot.

Still reckon if they come on only when hot its the relays. If car doesnt cool down substantially then prob the gasket gulleys arent opened properly upon install and/or radiator/cooling system needs a flush.

ill try the relays on the weekend, hopefully this is my issue, otherwise its off to the auto elc, then if necessary the radiator place

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:10 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

QLD, Australia

Just another thing to check...

Open the bonnet and look between your main radiator and the A/C radiator(should have a piece of rubber sitting over the top of it...)and make sure there is no debris sitting in this void. When you blast water through the aircon rad, it pushes it out into this void and over time builds up, effectively stifling the airflow into the radiator behind. Get your gerni and aim it into the top of this void and watch the crap fall out the bottom, being aware that some of it will come back at you as well. I filled a shoebox full of locust/bee/cricket carcasses as well as leaf litter and other pick-ups from the road.

If your ride doesnt have this rubber strip - please put one on as you lose about 20-30 per cent of your cooling efficiency through this tiny 10mm gap(multiplied by the width of the radiator) - basically comes in and shoots straight up into your bonnet then into the engine bay. Never to go near your radiator core. Can be bought from Clark rubber for nix.

Hooroo

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ef wagon

ACT, Australia

Chargd wrote:
kip wrote:
i had the same problem after a head gasket change on my mothers car tuned out the mechanic didnt make sure all the cutouts in the head gasket were out was blocking off two galleries

nope would only run hot around town would run fine on highway

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

CPOCSM wrote:

Open the bonnet and look between your main radiator and the A/C radiator(should have a piece of rubber sitting over the top of it...)and make sure there is no debris sitting in this void. When you blast water through the aircon rad, it pushes it out into this void and over time builds up, effectively stifling the airflow into the radiator behind. Get your gerni and aim it into the top of this void and watch the crap fall out the bottom, being aware that some of it will come back at you as well. I filled a shoebox full of locust/bee/cricket carcasses as well as leaf litter and other pick-ups from the road.

If your ride doesnt have this rubber strip - please put one on as you lose about 20-30 per cent of your cooling efficiency through this tiny 10mm gap(multiplied by the width of the radiator) - basically comes in and shoots straight up into your bonnet then into the engine bay. Never to go near your radiator core. Can be bought from Clark rubber for nix.

Hooroo

im going to do this tommorow, also changing the realays, willl keep you posted

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

kip wrote:
Chargd wrote:
kip wrote:

nope would only run hot around town would run fine on highway

was yours a metal gasket, im pretty sur mine were already punched out? hopefully this isnt the issue, but thanks for bringing it to my attention, just another path to pursue if i get no satisfaction from my previous post

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:01 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Gli wagon

NSW, Australia

CPOCSM wrote:

Hooroo

Thanks for that. Will check that today.
If I haven't got one, not too sure exactly where it fits, other than 'on the top'. Anyone got a photo of it, or a link to a website that has a picture?
Cheers

EF GLi Wagon. Burgundy. Gas shocks. Rear sway bar. Nice stereo & speakers. Factory bull bar. Driving lights. Roof racks. Great car. 2nd owner. 147,000km.

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EA

VIC, Australia

try your water pump i was having the same trouble on my eb wagon. i had a new head gasket and head done and a newish radiator and a new thermostat . still it would sit up on r of normal with air con on. so the last thing i did was the water pump it worked. so maybe try that

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

savage78 wrote:
try your water pump i was having the same trouble on my eb wagon. i had a new head gasket and head done and a newish radiator and a new thermostat . still it would sit up on r of normal with air con on. so the last thing i did was the water pump it worked. so maybe try that

replaced it when the headgasket was done, mine sits around r without aircon on

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

The Fans have 2 speeds. There is a tech doc about testing them, they may be running on low not high. Relays are cheap and do fail. A $10 part may fix your problem, test things to find the fault rather than replacing parts you dont need to.

Regards 96ELGli

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ok, so i got the car back from the auto elec today, as changing the relays didnt work, the auto elec ran a fault test which came up all good, no codes logged, he suggested replacing the sensor that plugs into the thermostat housing, so i told him to do so, drove the car in traffic for an hour or so and temp still rose, it only got to /m this time, so im seeing it as though the new sensor has made a small difference but im still back where i started, where do i go from here? tired of throwing money away

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:22 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: TOO MANY :)

VIC, Australia

Could also be the old favorite - a partially blocked radiator core.

Sometimes, they will block, up to the level of the large coolant reservior hose.
To check the core, you'll have to take out the radiator, and get a rad shop to remove one of the end tanks, and rod the cores, to clean them out.

If the car has previously got hot for another reason, the extra heat can dislodge scale/casting sand from inside the coolant passages, which will then block the radiator.

A good symptom of a partially blocked core, is where the car will run at normal temps and/or cool down while idling, but heat up and/or nearly overheat, as soon as you start driving along,
or by loading the engine driving up a hill, accellerating hard, etc.

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Sefton wrote:
hey fiend couldn't post a photo could ya? you've stirred my brain cells

Sorry mate, didn't see this message...

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:24 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF Fairmont, manual

SA, Australia

Im having the same sorta of troubles with my ef xr6, put a highflow thermostat in, new pressure cap, cleaned heater tank, run coolant, seems to be heating up to about O-R even on cold days, i did the thermostat today and noticed when the car was running the water in the rad hoses wernt very hot but the sides of the radiator were very hot... im guessing i have a blockage in the rad

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next