Fordmods Logo

car trailer 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: car trailer
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:40 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

hi guys not sure where this should go to but can i please ask you how much does a eb/ed sedan weigh because i only have a standard car to tow it with and i need to know how much a eb/ed sedan weighs and what a average size car trailer weighs because some of them say 2000kgGVM.

Also can i tow a eb/ed on a car trailer with a standard 6 cyl car because i asked the kadina rego office if i could and they said i could tow it with a standard 6 cyl car and i asked them if they were sure as the car/trailer would probably be 2 tonne and the towing car only weighs about 16-1800 kg and they said its fine.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

Towing laws have changed over time ... it also comes down to the limitations of your towing kit as well.

The old law used to be that you could not tow more than the weight for the vehicle that will be towing.

Some car trailers vary in weight .. depending on size and how well it is constructed ... etc.

Now with current restrictions and tow bar restrictions for Falcons ... if you have a 2300kg towing kit you can only tow 750kg without a brake controller/trailer brakes ... and 2300kg with controller and brakes fitted.

Then some vehicles are fitted with the 1600kg tow pack only as well. And manual vehicles weren't allowed to tow more than 1200kg.

These are just general guidelines Ford used though.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:43 am 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: 1993 EBll xr6, 2003 ba xt

Power: 150 rwkw

SA, Australia

well my eb ll weighs 1350kg that whats stated on rego papers.

Owning 1 of 84,847 ebII.
2x clarion subs 1200w, 1x clarion amp 400w, pioneer headunit, 16x8 roh reflex.
Clear side, front indicators, White dials, trip computer, boot spoiler, K & N air filter.
35% tint, paint code (z) stark white, 3" crome nudge bar, Xh snorkle

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:16 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

does anyone have anymore information on towing car trailers

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:49 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

yep...hook it up,drive away...

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:50 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

is it illegal to tow car trailers with standard 6 cyl cars and will you get away with it or will you get caught oneday

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:04 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

shonky12 wrote:
is it illegal to tow car trailers with standard 6 cyl cars and will you get away with it or will you get caught oneday
ok, so put a K&N filter in and tell the cops its now a modified 6cyl..

seriously tow laws in SA suck..

NSW has clear guidelines on the RTA website as to what the formula is for tow weights.. most car trailers will be braked, I used to drag a v12 jag and trailer round being my EL, no issues noever even got looked at sideways by coppers..

(we now have a patrol to drag the race car round cause this one costs a fiar bit more and we want to be safe as possible)

I have a car.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

A 6 cyl car can to as much as a V8 car, its the vehicles stated weights that matter.
An auto Falcon, with a 2" hitch type tow bar, with a load distribution hitch fitted can carry up to 2300kg with a braked trailer. Only 750kg with an unbraked trailer.
My F250 can tow 2500kg with the standard hitch, 3500kg with the load levelling hitch, and 4500kg with the 70mm ball and load hitch, so its all about the tow kit you have.

If its a standard bolt on type tongue, I would not recommend on towing a car trailer with it, and suggest getting a load distribution hitch from Haymen Reese or the like.
I tow all day every day with a minimum weight of 2200kg on, and highly recommend the load distribution hitch.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1989 300ZX Twin turbo Z32

QLD, Australia

shonky12 wrote:

legally it doesnt matter if you tow it with a v8 or even a 4cylinder engine. If i were you - i'd be more worried about your own towbar. Falcon weighs 1400kg or so. Car trailer is another few hunded. Probably pushing over the 2000kg level (depending on build quality of trailer).

You would need a 2300kg towbar to do this. Most falcons only have a 1200kg/1600kg towbar (sometimes even less). I have towed 2000kg with a standard crappy towbar before - but it is unwise to do so. It could break under the load.

Your brakes must be in top notch condition - as with your cooling system. Otherwise you could end up in real trouble.

If yours it auto then you should get an external trans cooler if you plan on towing cars often.

Sold my EB :(
Now got my 300zx :)

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:13 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

i was talking about weight ratio, is it illegal to tow car trailers with standard 6 cyl cars as the car weighs less and will you get away with it or will you get caught oneday

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

shonky12 wrote:
i was talking about weight ratio, is it illegal to tow car trailers with standard 6 cyl cars as the car weighs less and will you get away with it or will you get caught oneday

Mate, read my above post, its all there.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Another one to watch is the down force on the tow hitch, in kg's, not just the draw weight. A decent tow bar kit will have a tag welded on with that info on it.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: AUII XR6 VCT

WA, Australia

My old man towed my brothers EF sedan when he blew the diff on a braked car trailer with his automatic 6 potter XH ute ( tonner ) with no worries at all, falcons are very capable of towing another falcon, so just do it ;-)

www.aufalcon.com/dunkly

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 97 EL futura & BF XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

i towed an el falcon with a toyota carona the main concern i had was if i put the car to far to the front the front of the car would lift so i put the el in the centre of the trailer to even the load for the toyota to tow i got pulled up by the RTA and he had a good look at it and said i did it right by evening the load

there is only 2 rules in driving go hard or go home

Post subject: Re: car trailer
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

shonky12 wrote:
hi guys not sure where this should go to but can i please ask you how much does a eb/ed sedan weigh because i only have a standard car to tow it with and i need to know how much a eb/ed sedan weighs and what a average size car trailer weighs because some of them say 2000kgGVM.

Also can i tow a eb/ed on a car trailer with a standard 6 cyl car because i asked the kadina rego office if i could and they said i could tow it with a standard 6 cyl car and i asked them if they were sure as the car/trailer would probably be 2 tonne and the towing car only weighs about 16-1800 kg and they said its fine.

my head hurts.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next