coolant problems. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: coolant problems.
Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I woz driving a friend home the other day (1.5 hr trip last bit lots of hillz) when i got to her house i noticed that there woz a whole heap of water comin out of my car, it was parked on a steep hill with the nose pointing down. I opened the bonnet to find that the cap on the reservoir was letting out water. My question is was it just over heated or do i need a new cap. This has happened before but normally only a small amount comes out. The reason i ask is because i checked my reservoir today and it was empty and i wont to know if there may be a bigger problem i need to worry about. I did floor it abit but not enough for this to happen. It also was only about a 24 deg day.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Check the seal on the cap, if its hard and or cracked replace it. If you squeese the top hose with the cap on and air can be heard from the end of the overflow hose the cap is stuffed.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

lets start at the begining, what did your temp guage say??

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

wasn't lookin at temp sry
Looked at hoses and cap all look fine,
Just put 5lt of coolant in, i know i have a problem goin to a mech this week. Av a funny feelin its goin to hurt and hurt bad.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:49 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

In an ideal world get the cooling system pressure tested to see if it has other leaks etc, and also get it T.K. Tested to check for a leaking head etc...
if you cant do that for whatever reason put a new cap on it (theyre not expensive) and then carefully watch the car and see if it happens again...
Also dont overfill the header tank...

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah goin to get it tested this week i hope, with xmas comin up most mech's will be busy

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XR6

NSW, Australia

has to be the cap or over flow water would go out drain hose,but get the cause of the overheating fixed or you will still have a problem

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:06 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Sorry to dig this thread up even though its only 8 days old. Anyways I'm having the same problem. Woke up this morning and started the car. My dad comes out and tells me there is no water left in there. To my surprise there was nothing left :shock: so I topped it up and drove. This is like the 5th time it has happened ever since I got the car.

It happened during the drag day as well...there was hardly any water left at the drags. Got home topped it up...from the drag day till today...I have topped it up once. So in total 3 times from drag day till today.

Might check the cap. cheers

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Sorry to dig this thread up even though its only 8 days old. Anyways I'm having the same problem. Woke up this morning and started the car. My dad comes out and tells me there is no water left in there. To my surprise there was nothing left :shock: so I topped it up and drove. This is like the 5th time it has happened ever since I got the car.

It happened during the drag day as well...there was hardly any water left at the drags. Got home topped it up...from the drag day till today...I have topped it up once. So in total 3 times from drag day till today.

phong =P~

Too find out if it is coming out the cap, put a small empty coke bottle over the end of the overflow hose. If the cap is leaking there will be evidence of coolant in the bottle.

When my EL was loosing water, I looked around and found several small leaks. After fixing them and thinking that I had finally fixed it. It would still empty the header tank on occasion. Eventually and only once it was on a hoist the leak was found to be the head gasket. I hope it isn't the same for you.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:02 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

madmax wrote:
phongus wrote:

phong =P~

Too find out if it is coming out the cap, put a small empty coke bottle over the end of the overflow hose. If the cap is leaking there will be evidence of coolant in the bottle.

When my EL was loosing water, I looked around and found several small leaks. After fixing them and thinking that I had finally fixed it. It would still empty the header tank on occasion. Eventually and only once it was on a hoist the leak was found to be the head gasket. I hope it isn't the same for you.

Well at the drags I had to have a bottle connected to the overflow but there was never any coolant in there even though the header tank was just above min :S.

well if its the head more reason to get an AU head, head shaven, chuck a cam in new head bolts :D

though of course its bad since I gotta pay my road rego :evil: :(

For now let's hope its the cap.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

blue wrote:
wasn't lookin at temp sry

Your game on a E series, never stop looking at it, could save you some money.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]