dash board squeak 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: dash board squeak
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:12 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 02 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

hey guys just wondering if any EF/EL owers have experinced and high pitched annoying high frequency squek, almost like a budgie. Ive atempted to fix it buy spraying silcon spray on the removable cover that goes over the tweters in the inside of the car, i removed the plenbum chamber cover and sprayed wd and silcon spray where is joints to the windscreen and made no difference wot so ever. The noise is more prominate when the ambient temp is cold. if anyone has idea on a fix it would greatly apprecitated as this noise is very annoying.

cheers
Tom

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

Is it coming from the middle console area by any chance, like from behind the stereo. I need to know from what part of the dash the noise is eminating from?

What I'd like to know from punters is, how many of us have found broken dash tabs when the've taken the tweeter plate off?

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

Kit, yes mine are broken.

The way I fix it is to remelt the plastic and join it with large pieces of solder wick that you get from electronics shops. Solder wick is simply braided copper strands used to remove solder from electronic circuit boards, its design perfectly lends itself to strongly fixing broken pieces of plastic, its as strong as plastic welding.

Cut pieces of wick about 4cm long and melt them into the two plastic pieces you're joining. After you're done, superglue it (be careful the fumes dont leave residue on the windscreen) and it'll never come apart again.

----------------

But on topic of squeaking, sounds like the HVAC system as it uses engine vacuum for its operations.

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

It's interesting with these plastic tabs. It seems the dash flex's quite a bit when the car turns up drives ways and does sharp turns at speed. Thats when the ends of the dash makes the most noise. Hmmm......

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 02 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Nah its not the HVAC system, i know that is sorces its vacuum from the inlet manifold to change the air flow direction. this is a diffenate squeak.
Its not coming from the centre, its at either end up near the tweters. whats this your saying about a clip being broken under neither the tweters?
Cheers
Tom

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

You can get a tool to remove the Philip's screws, one either end of the tweeter plate, and work it up, a few clicks as the tweeter plate comes away from it plastic clips. Disconnect the Auto-climate sensor if you have one, and remove the tweeter plate. Then you have access to the tweeters, and a good view of the large dash tabs, holding the dash to the body. Never fully undo the bolts on these tabs, the bottom pieces will fall away into the dash forever, and you will not be able to put the bolts back in. But carefully tighten where necessary, and have broken tabs repaired. Inspect for your squeaks while your there, and lube where necessary. Not WD-40. I wouldn't use anything like that on my dash. Something gentler like Silicon spray is preferred. Even though this Silicon spray wears away pretty quickly.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

When i fixed my recirc on my eb, i found three out of about 6 of the tabs where totally snapped off, and only holding by the skin of their teeth. Looking at the front of the bonnet, which is rippled in some light, and the way all three broken tabs are on the drivers side, i thought that it might have been caused in a small head on of some sort. But this may not be the case :)

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]