dealing with rust 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: dealing with rust
Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

ive got a 05 ba xr6, and ive noticed some rust poping up around places, (under the window seal, engine bay shock tower, n various little annoying spots). now this just is thankful only minor at the moment so im just wondering what people have done to prevent it. ive heard fish oil is good for short term, but im not looking at short term, im going to have the car for a couple more years and wanna kill the issue before it really takes hold.
ive seen electronic systems that pump more current into the body, n they say this prevents rust. the chemistry behind it works, but im not sure on if it actually works in real life, if anyone knows much about them?

additional info.
live in western Sydney, car rarely (once or twice a year) travels to the beach, parked under cover, and constant attention is paid to leaf build ups.
how ever previous owners didn't share the same care to the car as i do.

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Post subject: Re: dealing with rust
Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I saw a test some guy did with two steel (or cast iron) frying pans where he bathed them in sea water and fitted one with an electronic rust preventative kit. Then put them in his shed and left them to rust.
The one with out the kit rust far more then the one with the kit.

They do work but they will not %100 stop rust.

The best you can do is fit an electronic kit, remove the rust from the already rusted areas and treat the areas with a rust converter and then paint them.

Then treat the whole car with a spray on rust preventative that isn't fish oil. Wurth do a good one and there are a few other around, or you could have it done by some one like Ming. http://www.ming.com.au/

It would also pay to remove trim items so you can get some spray inside the A,B,C pillars and the sills.

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I use a product called rust converter and then once its done its thing i use some touch up paint to seal it.

Here is the actual stuff i use

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_pro ... r_886.aspx

Here is your fish oil idea - http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_pro ... l_892.aspx

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

i have tried a converter on small rust parts before, seemed to work, but the rust in my engine bay is below the paint, and has come up, either way i suppose theirs no harm done putting a converter on their. ill also look at the electronic kits, but damn the expensive, at least i can transfer them from car to car.

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:32 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford LTD DA 1989

NSW, Australia

Check and improve all earth connections to engine block, body, diff, radiator, etc. Electrolysis is the worst killer. Just do some Google search about if you're skeptical.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]