Fordmods Logo

EA Ignition Coil - any tips? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EA Ignition Coil - any tips?
Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

Hey team, day started fkn awesome with me picking up some mint 4499's for $50, and then a full lukey straight thru sys for another $50, and a set of rocker arms to get the shims out for my cam install, Whooo HOOO!!

The rest of the day was helping a mate move house, until tonight.. the car wouldn't start at his place.

It had to be fuel or spark, tested for spark with a screwdriver a few mm away from the rocker cover and no good. Joined NRMA on the spot, $299 later, the dude came out and confirmed it.. He said the part should be about $40 - $50.

The dizzy and coil look like a c#nt to get to, what's the best way I can attack this? any advice? Will SuperCheap or Autobarn have a coil for me?
Day has gone from fkn awesome to a moderate low!! :D

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Post subject: coil
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:47 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

is it the coil or the dizzy .cant see it being both.but easiest way to do the coil is from underneath so it would be on ramps or jack it up hi enough i would double check coil lead with another one first .seen a few ea-ed that all it was was a coil lead and they put new coil dizzy and still the same till we changed the lead then away she went so id double check that first. :)

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Underneath aye?

Cheers, I was saying it was both at fault, I was just observing that both/basically everything looks like a pain to get to.

I will try and jack it up 2moro, and have a squiz at attacking it from underneath. It's fkn cold, no light, and just started spitting rain!

I got the part from Repco just before they closed, they were the only ones to stock it and the cheapest; $45.16, Supercheap $51, and Autobarn wanted $65!

I like boost

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Took today off to tackle this, and appears my coil is fine, the dizzy has failed. I got right underneath it, but could only just remove the coil/dizzy lead..

Had to get lube mobile in, and the dude was pretty cool and helpful. They always replace both when they do it, he said they're both subjected to heat, and when one part goes, the other can fail soon after.

Gonna cost me a fair bit tho.. $400+ incl new complete dizzy ($200). I'll look at getting new leads soon, then I guess my whole ignition system has been replaced. Got some new NGK plugs to go in later.

I like boost

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]