Post subject: Re: econ and power mode
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
the power/econ mode is for auto gear changes only, econ mode shifts gears early at low rpm...
does nothing for engine performance...

+1, I actually think Econ mode is better for straight line WOT. It shifts earlier. There no point revving a stocker into the redline, they make max power at 4900rpm.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
the power/econ mode is for auto gear changes only, econ mode shifts gears early at low rpm...

+1, I actually think Econ mode is better for straight line WOT. It shifts earlier. There no point revving a stocker into the redline, they make max power at 4900rpm.

I agree with this. But, with regular driving, econ shifts too early and power shifts too late.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

evxr6 wrote:
GeZza200 wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

I agree with this. But, with regular driving, econ shifts too early and power shifts too late.

And with a t5 it's spot on :D

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:56 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

yep, i run a better 1/4 mile time using econ mode...

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

unless you have a cam haha, loves 6000rpm.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
GeZza200 wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

yep, i run a better 1/4 mile time using econ mode...

really? damn BAs dont have econ mode.
i only go to the drags to see how good fuel economy i can get down the qtr too :roll: :roll: :lol:

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:43 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:

if i run mine down the 1/4 in power mode it hits the limiter (5900 rpm) before it changes gear, in economy it changes at 5600rpm , perfect for my combination..lol

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:

+1
My i6 loves it's cam.

Blue blooded.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:38 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Gli wagon

NSW, Australia

It's not shifting 'too early'.
I'm make a general point here, but the quicker one changes into a higher gear, one gets better fuel economy?
So, the econ mode means that when it can shift to a higher gear without affecting usable performance, it does so.
If it shifted 'too early', it would cause the revs to fall to the point where performance becomes unusuable, so it would then have to change down once more to increase revs, and get back to usable performance.
That doesn't happen in autos on economy mode.

EF GLi Wagon. Burgundy. Gas shocks. Rear sway bar. Nice stereo & speakers. Factory bull bar. Driving lights. Roof racks. Great car. 2nd owner. 147,000km.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

paul w wrote:
It's not shifting 'too early'.
I'm make a general point here, but the quicker one changes into a higher gear, one gets better fuel economy?
So, the econ mode means that when it can shift to a higher gear without affecting usable performance, it does so.
If it shifted 'too early', it would cause the revs to fall to the point where performance becomes unusuable, so it would then have to change down once more to increase revs, and get back to usable performance.
That doesn't happen in autos on economy mode.

i got better economy in power mode driving sensible than i did in economy mode... in economy it changes early then you need to put the foot down more to get the car moving and then it decides not to go back a gear unless your holding the pedal down really hard than it takes off screaming back in first gear, power mode holds the gears just the little bit more, which makes the next gear more into the engines power range therefore not needing as much pedal effort, saving petrol :roll:

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

bry40l wrote:
i got better economy in power mode driving sensible than i did in economy mode... in economy it changes early then you need to put the foot down more to get the car moving and then it decides not to go back a gear unless your holding the pedal down really hard than it takes off screaming back in first gear, power mode holds the gears just the little bit more, which makes the next gear more into the engines power range therefore not needing as much pedal effort, saving petrol :roll:

Agreed

MEMBER 1390

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:42 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: au II ute, 63' xl falcon ute

VIC, Australia

bry40l wrote:

ive noticed that as well, au 2 ute on straight gas, 300kms or less per tank on econ mode.
power or normal (?) mode i can easily push 400-500kms..

and i have noticed that i can accelerate noticeably quicker on econ mode.. hitting about 2500rpm before a gearchange feels like about 3500-4000rpm on power mode...
perhaps something to do with running straight gas setup but still using a petrol ecu?

au II ute, cam, mild porting/xr6 head, headers and zorst

63' xl falcon ute, engineered 302w, cam, heads, straight gas, built c4, xp disc brake front, lotsa fun (:

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2