Fordmods Logo

Economy Guide: Updated, Loads of fuel saver tips! 

Page 3 of 6 [ 84 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Also LPG has a higher octane rating (not as high as 120 though, between 100 and 108 depending on mixture) But its energy density is less than an equivalent amount of petrol.
So no, in theory you require more LPG for the same amount of power, thus less economy. Reality isnt that clear cut though.

Octane refers to pre-ignition, not energy

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I was talking in terms of 'cash out of your wallet terms'.

You do require a greater amount of lpg than petrol, in a petrol engine, as its tuned for petrol. That could be added :)

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ef gli

QLD, Australia

Good work GAS MAN!

Very well written and informative, I agree - should probably be a sticky, - especially when u get it finished.

There will always be differences of opinion on the finer points of this subject, same as there are many different vehicles/driving styles. But isn't that why we have these forums?

Keep it up.

Garthr

Those who say "it can't be done" shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane + G220

Power: 143 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Great read! I shall be trying a few of these tips in my work car. The boss has been riding me lately because my average fuel consumption is around the 17-19 L/100k's :? I'm sure he will be happy if I can drop that figure by a couple of points :)
As for my lane, well, it is built for pleasure so the faster it goes, the happier I am :D
Mick

E-Series Fairlane/LTD? forums/post746329.html#746329
Mick's Garage forums/viewtopic.php?t=65504

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks alot guys, great to hear you enjoyed it !

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I dont think my leg will allow me to slowly accelerate. It drives me insane especially when d***head turn at a set or lights at 1 km/h so only 1 car get through. I feel like stabbing them.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah not in city driving man, it was written by a country folk (me) for country folk :P

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

[url]peswiki.com[/url]
(note its the same as peswiki.org)

Good place to start researching into alternative fueling.

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged BA XL ute

QLD, Australia

"prydey"]how about you ring fuch's and ask them what they think of you sticking a cheap bottle of wank into their product.

I love it

BA XL ute.
P'maker headers',Hi flow cat,3" sports sytem,
Raptor V-clutched lightweight not intercooled,no tranny cooler,no worries.

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Find me a link where it is proven its no good, else we get no where

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:27 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Alot there, went all out!

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Covered everything i could find over a few days, it took me 8 solid hours just to write it all out (and im a fast typer)!

Hope people can benefit from it, it was quite a project..

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

-GAS-MAN- wrote:
Cruise control is not efficient, it can not predict whats coming up, it cannot time, it accelerates heavily and all over the place. Its convenient but is definitely not more economical :)

I agree cruise control is 'dumb' and can't think for it self, other than to maintain a set speed. To turn it on and let it drive is not the best way to save fuel.
BUT you are still in control of the car and cruise. At a set speed on a flatish road th,e cruise is better then a person. Add hills other cars and corners and traffic lights into the mix and the cruise shows just how dumb it is.

Thing is, the cruise has an "OFF" button and a "COAST" button. USE THEM.
when you see a hill coming that you know the cruise will add to much throttle for, hit the COAST button and drive up the hill yourself.
See a corner you need to slow down for, hit the COAST button and let the car slow without the need for braking.

At the end of the day, YOU are driving the car. let the cruise do what it does best and drive on a flat road, when you com across a road that the cruise is to dumb to drive efficiently, turn it off and drive it yourself

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Sure, what ever works for you :)

I'm currently ordering all the parts for a water injection system that is roughly progressive from the Autospeed website, ill do some testing using a 2meter long pvc pipe, a water injection nozzle and a few temp sensors either side of the water injector to see how much the water is actually being cooled.

I also want to have adjustable refrigeration for the water and see what cooling results can be had with different air and water temps.

It will be a pretty rough little experiment but the cooling results will proove either positive or not.

Im having excellent results atm using a basic vacuum injection system.

on a 68L lpg tank Sprint Gas mixer system im getting 560km's of mixed driving, all the spark plugs are in better then new condition and best of all its installation cost is minimal and running costs are near on free :)

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

knifeAndForkDog wrote:
EthonalMan wrote:
Change your driving style, 4 stars!
Driving style covers a few areas: -Accelerate slowly; say take 12-15seconds to get to 60kmph, gently increasing acceleration. This is where most of your fuel goes, getting from 0 to cruising speeds, stopping and starting.

if u do this infront of me, ur getting some high beams and the horn, pet hate is someone who cant accelerate with the traffic, if u cant afford to do this get the bus.

MATE--- I was driving back from Napier to Wellington (about 400km) and came up behind a Subaru Legacy Turbo S/W even tho I had cruise control set to 106km/h. Anyway... We hit a town, where he must have put it in nutral or something about one kilometre from the towns 50 zone and coasted from 97km/h to 50km/h over that kilometre. We then went through town at exactly 47km/h - The town is called Carterton and is about 5km long - but only one street wide.

He then proceeded to accelerate to 97km/hour again on leaving the town. BEAT THIS...

It took him from CARTERTON to GREYTOWN to hit 97km, accelerating evenly the whole way. IT TOOK HIM 4.7KM to HIT 97km/hour from 5o!!!

He then coasted back to 47km/h and we went through GREYTOWN (another 5km long town, with one main road and nothing else...)

Upon leaving GREYTOWN I had about thirty cars qued behind me and only this half wit Subaru owner in front. By sitting at 50km/hour for quite some time (about a whole kilometre) and then flooring it and timing it right (luck) I pulled out and passed him at 155km/hour with on coming traffic NOT HAVING TO TAKE EVASIVE ACTION. It was the only way to get past the guy as traffic was pretty constant the other way and there were no passing lanes the whole time.

If you're going to drive like that to save yourself two bloody fifty per 100km then you honestly shouldn't be driving at all and should have taken the bus, train, or pushbike.

Feel real sorry for the thirty odd (and counting) cars behind me who would then have been stuck behind this clown up the 600 metre constantly winding Rimutaka Range... Sad sad sad.

Needless to say, after driving over this windy mountain and stopping for toilet, pie and chips, drinking a cafe barristered coffee and making my way slowly back to car, I saw a huge procession of irate drivers approaching at 47km/hour............ Thankfully the road is two lanes from there to Wellington......

Honestly.

BY THE WAY --- Cruise control is okay if you keep your eye on it... Turn it off if going up hill etc etc etc... If you're on a totally flat road with no corners, then why the hell not engage the thing. My car sits on 8 or 9 L / 100K with cruise control at 110km/h. It also sits on the same Litres per 100 KM at 90... I can't do better than that with my foot really - 7 or 8 is do-able, but I am concentrating more on gas consumption than on the road hazards such as small children and their pets.

Whatever - Turn it off on anything that looks like a hill and cruise control is just fine. Is also useful when passing speed cameras. I hate people who are doing 105 slamming on their brakes whenever they see a bloody van parked. They don't give you a ticket for doing 105 anyway....

ROAD RAGE INDUCING STUFF

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 6  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next