Fordmods Logo

ED 2300KG tow kit - whats involved? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: ED 2300KG tow kit - whats involved?
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

Looking to get a 2300kg tow kit from the wreckers for an ED.

What parts are in it, how do I identify it and is it straightforward to pull it off a wreck and remount it?

Post subject: Re: ED 2300KG tow kit - whats involved?
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:59 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EBII Fairmont 4.0 206rwkw

SA, Australia

Bozz wrote:
Looking to get a 2300kg tow kit from the wreckers for an ED.

What parts are in it, how do I identify it and is it straightforward to pull it off a wreck and remount it?

It should be relativley straight forward. I never fitted one on anything earlier than an EF, but their probably the same.
Probably got alot've holes to drill in the body for the extra bracing for the heavy duty towbar.
Remember to use silicone in the holes you drill for waterproofing.

Hope ive helped a little.

EBII Fairmont = 206rwkw
EL Fairmont = Daily

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

I'm guessing you're aware that to actually tow above 700 or so you need trailer brakes regardless of the mechanical capacity of the towbar?

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

In that case then wouldn't that responsibillity sit firmly with the trailer manufacturers, forcing them to fit trailer brakes to all trailers over 700kg bare and all trailers that have an estimated minimum laiden weight of 700kg? Sounds reasonable cause average joe doesn't have a clue what he's towing until he's forced onto a weigh bridge.

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Trailers that have 700+ empty weight - absolutely.

Trailers that can HOLD more than 700 - no way that can be determined - you could easily fit over 700kg into a little 5x4 single axle trailer if you wanted to...

I've had a 5x8 tandem axle trailer take me off the road - it WAS overloaded - but only would have been 150kg or so over - but when it had a tyre go flat and went nuts I had NO HOPE of holding it all together without brakes...

People also need to make sure they have enough of the loaded trailer weight over the towball - I gather that was also part of my problem. If you ever see a trailer or caravan fishtailing / lateral oscillating even a tiny bit - flag down the driver and TELL THEM TO GET MORE WEIGHT OVER THE BALL before they kill someone.

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
In that case then wouldn't that responsibillity sit firmly with the trailer manufacturers, forcing them to fit trailer brakes to all trailers over 700kg bare and all trailers that have an estimated minimum laiden weight of 700kg? Sounds reasonable cause average joe doesn't have a clue what he's towing until he's forced onto a weigh bridge.

f**k we live in a great society: "doesn't the responsibility sit with someone else".

Luckily the police won't agree with you on that one.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

skidder wrote:
xcabbi wrote:

f**k we live in a great society: "doesn't the responsibility sit with someone else".

Luckily the police won't agree with you on that one.

In this case I'm going to say f**k oath it does. The trailer manufacturer builds a trailer for a designed purpose. Do these things come with a set of instructions for legal and correct use or what? And I'm not talking about loose as a hookers C*** guidelines from the RTA website. I'm talking manufacturers specific instructions. Now until we have that who cops it? The guy who doesn't know how heavy his trailer is until he takes it fully laiden to a weigh bridge, or the guy that built the damn thing and knows precisely what it can and can't carry? What if the guy taking it to the weigh bridge crashes it and kills himself on the way to get it weighed. What then? Somehow I don't think bathroom scales go up to 700kg so you can forget about weghing as you load unless you are loading many small items. This is why all trailers that can be loaded to over 700kg's should have mandatory trailer brakes fitted, no ifs, no buts.

If drugs were like aftermarket car parts and accessories I could go to the local chemist and get an 8ball of coke, 1/4 ounce of pot and a few hits of heroin over the counter and then get charged for posession as soon as I walk out the door whilst the chemist is immune to prosecution, such is the s**t within the legal system.

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

No one can make a trailer the will only carry X amount - but indeed even my trailer had a label that stated the trailer weighed Xkg and max load without brakes was 750kg

Point is that ultimately it's the responsibility of the user to ensure they don't exceed the limits - authorities don't care how you do that - it's still ultimately your own responsibility - THAT's what MY original comment was about. I learned the hard way that the regs exist for a really good reason.

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

By your reasoning turbo's shouldn't be sold over the counter as there is no guarantee the people buying them are going to get their cars engineered? By your reasoning booze shouldn't be sold over the counter as there is no guarantee those drinking will consume it responsibly or not drink drive?

People have to take responsibility for their actions. Your argument about not knowing the weight is like drink driving...if you aren't sure you are under the limit then you probably shouldn't do it. Ignorance is not a valid excuse at law. As far as the legal system being f**k up, why complain if you can't change it?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The difference between overloading a trailer and drink driving is that we have it drilled into our thick heads that 1 standard drink = approx 0.02.
If you can't follow that formula then you shouldn't be behind the wheel.

If we adopted the NSW work cover approach to this situation then all trailers would be fitted with trailer brakes full stop, no ifs no buts. If the smallest box trailer on the market can be loaded past 750kg's then what's the point of getting a mid sized trailer and not bothering about trailer brakes. That is actually more ignorant than demanding all trailers be fitted with brakes.

Slightly off topic here but what can a L and P plater be allowed to carry these days? When I first went for my license it was a trailer weight no more than 250kg gross.

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

L platers cant tow as far as I know,and p platers its only 250 kg, dont know if that applys to green Ps or both

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:22 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL XR6

New Zealand

That's all fine and dandy but what happens when a trailer is built to carry a specific load say sheets of Gib or Plywood which are very large but not heavy... The trailer is a Tandem axle measuring 2.5m x 1.5m but doesn't have brakes because it wasn't built to carry heavy loads only large loads...

Then when some idiot gets it 2nd hand and sticks 2ton on it who's at fault then??? The user I think. Most people have absolutely no idea about towing and how much things way or how a car will react when towing. IMO

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EF_nut wrote:
That's all fine and dandy but what happens when a trailer is built to carry a specific load say sheets of Gib or Plywood which are very large but not heavy... The trailer is a Tandem axle measuring 2.5m x 1.5m but doesn't have brakes because it wasn't built to carry heavy loads only large loads...

Then when some idiot gets it 2nd hand and sticks 2ton on it who's at fault then??? The user I think. Most people have absolutely no idea about towing and how much things way or how a car will react when towing. IMO

Maximum load should be disclosed as part of the sale conditions, much like disclosing if a car was a reapairable write off, or even better still, stamped on the rego label or trailer itself. Then if you get caught overleading it, its well and truly your fault.

The law needs work, a lot of work, but almost anything is better than what we currently have.

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Having a think about this during the arvo I've come up with a solution that's about as failsafe as it gets. It involves pressure transducers and warning lights. That way if your trailer is overloaded a red light will light up in the tailgate and you will be pulled over by any law enforcement officers that notice it. Also depending on where any additional transducers are mounted, this system can warn you if the trailer is not loaded evenly.
Anyone found to have tampered with the system should face the maximum penalty for this type of offence.

Any takers? yay or nay?

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

Back to the original question:

Bozz wrote:
What parts are in it, how do I identify it

How do I know a tow bar is a 2300Kg one instead of a 1600 or otherwise?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next