Fordmods Logo

ED fairmont boot locked (parts missing) 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:46 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Be nice to know what model car we're looking at - as I said earlier, boot power setup varies between models.
Since the boot solenoid operates, I doubt it's causing a short - if it was the solenoid wouldn't operate.
Put your thinking caps on, and figure out what the third wire to the solenoid is - it is obvious if you think about it, and I suspect it is causing the issue, or something hooked up to it is.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

The post subject does say ED fairmont so I guess that indicates what model it is.So in short the boot opens with the key but when via the button on the dash it opens pnce then blows the courtesy lamp bulb and stops working so I will need to check the third wire you mentioned.Thanks

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah my bad - too late up me thinks. . . . .

Does your boot light work ?? - the courtesy light you mentioned earlier is the inside one ??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

No worries mate. I just had a look and there doesn't seem to be a boot light.The previous owner must of changed the speakers so some stuff underneath the rear parcel schelf seems to be gone? I am going to a wreckers tomorrow to look at another car and see what it has in the way of boot lamp.Yeap,my interior courtasy lamp is the one that keeps blowing.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Hmm, I suspect some of the wiring has been doctored/bodged - although I'd think you already know that.
Judging by the sounds of bits missing, etc.
Another thing that doesn't add up is when the boot is key opened - if the courtesy light line was shorting to power to earth, it would happen during this as well, so maybe the boot switch line isn't off the hook just yet.

I can only suggest to get someone who is electrics savvy, and some diagrams, and check a few things out as Paul's said. It'd probably be pretty easy with the car in sight - bit hard through forum threads.

There's a few forum members in your area - it's amazing what help is on offer for a few beers. . . .

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeap a few gremlins to sort out,thanks for the suggestions though.
I hope to solve it soon perhaps with the help of someone or diagram.
Cheers!

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, best of luck with it. Perhaps put out a help thread - with a few cans/BBQ as a sweetener.
Shouldn't be too hard a fix for someone with a bit of electrical knowledge.

A better alternative than an autoelec ($55 - $60+/hr) IMO . . . . .

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Fixed-the problem unknowingly...Undid the remote boot switch mount on the dash to get to the instrument cluster and decided to put a test light on,when I did the switch worked..Has been ever since! haha....Shorting out perhaps??

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

That's good, if it starts all over again you'll know it's intermittent and probably needs replacing. Should be easy enough to source one cheaply.
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2