Fordmods Logo

ED XR6 now going VCT WADE CAM,ADJ GEAR,SHIMS NOW FORSALE 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: ANYONE WANT A FREE ED XR6 FU*K IM OVER IT
Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

AU gasket should be re usable as it is an MLS (multi layer steel) gasket..
should be able to give it a good clean and away you go

some people spray them with some sealant (i think the same s**t you spray on copper gaskets)

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

phongus wrote:
milo 302 wrote:
Dowel pin? Its got 4 bolts hasnt it, allen head bolts(to adjust the vernier gear)?
The lifters should be soaked in oil thouroughly if theyve been out of the motor to minimize startup ticking.
No head gaskets arent reusable, only if your stuck in the desert dude.

I think he meant the little dowel on the gear that fits into the camshaft side that sits on the intake side of the head when at TDC.

\
yes thats the dowel pin i was on about and i reset the timing chain tensioner after i installed the new cam gear after i put the head back on and i got a loaner head off a mates paddock bomb (ebII) till i get a new head as ill be putting it on in the morning and i also got a new dowel pin made up today on a mates lathe and pressed it into the timing gear so ill be trying again in the morning ill let you all know how i go as ill be reusing the head gasket too

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

By the sounds of it you didnt tighten the cam bolt up enough because the cam gear would have to walk to do that :(
Did you loctite the bolt?
After hearing that you got a dowel pin made up i am led to believe you want this motor to fail again, i would be getting a genuine replacement or a new gear.
Damn and i just saw youre reusing the head gasket??? they have raised sections on them and once they have been torqued down they dont work the same again, you are gonna have bulk problems with your motor dude coz your doing it all wrong. Good luck with that.

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

milo 302 wrote:
By the sounds of it you didnt tighten the cam bolt up enough because the cam gear would have to walk to do that :(
Did you loctite the bolt?
After hearing that you got a dowel pin made up i am led to believe you want this motor to fail again, i would be getting a genuine replacement or a new gear.
Damn and i just saw youre reusing the head gasket??? they have raised sections on them and once they have been torqued down they dont work the same again, you are gonna have bulk problems with your motor dude coz your doing it all wrong. Good luck with that.

A- I DID TIGHTEN THE CAM BOLT
B- I DIDNT LOCKTIGHT IT
C- I GOT A DOWEL PIN MADE OF HARDENED STEEL
D- IT IS A CROW VERNIER CAM GEAR AND IT FAILED BECAUSE THE DOWEL PIN WAS ONLY PROTRUDING THROUGHT THE CAM GEAR BY 3MM
E- I HAVE A STD HEAD GASKET (NEW) I PUT ON FOR THE TIME BEING BUT SAME BOLTS
F- AND IVE GOT A COMPLETE EF MOTOR HERE REBUILT TO PUT IN IT WITH A TURBO BUT DECIDING ON IF TO GO AUTO OR MANUAL YET ?

ONLY THING IS THAT ITS RAINING AT MOMENT AND CANT GET OUT TO WORK ON THE CAR

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Head bolts arent reusable, cam gear should be loctited.
I cant see crow selling a brand new dodgy gear myself, if by some small chance it was id go straight to them,seems obvious.

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

will a ed cam work in a VCT head withe the ED rocker gear?

Post subject: Re: ED XR6 now going VCT WADE CAM,ADJ GEAR,SHIMS NOW FORSALE
Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

The head bolts are "torque to yield" type bolts, they stretch, and you shouldn't ever reuse them to fit a head to an engine unless you want the gaskit to fail again, soon. You can however usually reuse head bolts to hold engines onto stands. :D

I doubt the ED rocker gear will fit in the VCT head, but i don't know for sure.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Post subject: Re: ED XR6 now going VCT WADE CAM,ADJ GEAR,SHIMS NOW FORSALE
Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ive just bought a VCT AU head with cam and VCT actuator to put on my ed complete so soon as i work out the wiring ill have it done

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2