Fordmods Logo

EF Quirks 

Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF Futura Manual

NSW, Australia

With mine ive had a radiator fixed (crack in side tank), machined front discs, power steering sensor (getting fixed today), clutch cable pull through firewall, loose wire in brake system check, and air bag light still on (it's been on since i've got, has been in for numerous repairs but still comes back on, in the end gave up). These are things you expect with a 10 year old car with 175000+ kays on the clock

I bought it last August and just cracked 219000 kays which works out about 45000 kays in 15 months and no major problem yet.

Behave, if you can't behave buy a pram.

Official Member of I HATE DOOF DOOF

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

The only thing that has gone wrong with my EF is the rear main has started to leak a bit. :x Not much of a leak really cause i didnt notice the oil loss at all, just checked it 5 minutes ago :wink:

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

I love my series 1 late 94 build EF to death!!! It has its little quirks such as locks cycling, but thats about it. Heads crack for a reason, and with the fords its due to lack of preventative mantainence. Im not having a shot at any one but you gotta change your coolant regularily and keep an eye on that temp dial. If you thrash the crap outta it dont just stop and switch the poor bugger off straight away as heat soak will kill the head/block seal. Just let it warm down for a couple a minutes. I had to do my head gasket once due to maintence issues which I now know how to adress, but now I give the car a hiding and it comes running back for more every time. The EDIS on mine hasnt given any issues, however this isnt to say that they dont exist. You wont find a better car for your money in my biased point of view.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

ACT, Australia

uglybob wrote:
Andrew J wrote:
First one went at about 168000 kays, the second at 153oookays(rough estimates)

hmmm... something funny happening with your odo there andrew??

LOL!! :lol:

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:12 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL Futura

NSW, Australia

I think you will find in regards to the head problems it is 99% dependant upon upkeep of the car and your driving style. I havnt flogged my car and have not had any head problems...again ive watched the cooling (and it has had probs in this region b4) and ive spotted probs b4 they got too bad and managed to not destroy the head. I think you'll find if you keep a eye out for these things you shouldnt have any probs.

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB II

QLD, Australia

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the heads / maintenance issue
I took the EF for a test drive sarvo
It doesn't seem to be the stereotype 'mechanics car' looks like it is pretty well maintained lol.
nicer than my EB, Not a huge amount but enough i think and it looks the part.
Except it doesn't have cruise control..bummer
That should be an easy fix though, my local wreckers want $175 for all the gizmo,s for the cruise
I'll probably put a deposit on it tomorrow

Still thinking of something witty

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

* Touch wood * :P But i now have got about 171,500kms on the clock on my XR6 and the whole time ive had it there has never been no overheating problems.

The head has never been replaced and the head gaskets have never gone either! :wink: I put it down to having good caring previous owners as well as myself included. :P

But i have a full three year warrantee atm so i gotta use it for something i guess :roll:

But also annoying little things like interior lights have stopped working and some of them stay on all the time. But i fixed that :wink: Other than that no major problems with my EF.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:33 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

mine has clocked up about 245kms or so - runs sweet as. the head has been reconditioned (before i got it) but besides that, no issues at all - just the regular stuff you have to do with any car - eg servicing, brakes, etc - no matter what car you get, you cant avoid those costs. this is my 3rd EF, and haven't had an issue with any of them - would recommend them without hesitation to anyone! :wink:

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Well for me ne thing was better than an XF at the time. My mum really treated that car like s**t. (was previously hers) i got sick of spending so much $$$$ just making it look nice and keeping it running that it was time for an upgrade. :roll:

And a better one at that. I have no second thoughts about buying my EF and still dont. Its a sweet car :P

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Bassfreak55 wrote:
uglybob wrote:
Andrew J wrote:
First one went at about 168000 kays, the second at 153oookays(rough estimates)

hmmm... something funny happening with your odo there andrew??

LOL!! :lol:

I reverse a lot? Nah, look at the time, it was too early in the morning for me! and yeah, that should read 160000 for the first, 163000 for the second. I only got a few weeks before i had congealed oil under the cap which they had an explanation for

Basically its like this, when they replaced the head the first time, it raised compression( :| ) and therefore caused more blowby ( :roll: ) which meant more condensation( :?: ). And then the condensation rose to the top as steam and collected inside the cap ( :idea: ). If only theyd listened to me in the first place :twisted: they would have done it right. But oh well, thats taken care of for now. Bet not too many other people scored themselves a free head :P

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:37 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Andrew some people have all the luck it's good to see someone taking responsibility for their C**k up.

Thanks fellas you've just about convinced me.

cheers

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF & VTR1000

NSW, Australia

yeah, id have to admit the EF is a great car, and for the prices there going for these days, you really can't go wrong.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 96 EF Futura

QLD, Australia

You could buy mine :wink:. They are good cars, mines only had problems due to just old hoses and things, nothing major and mechanics say its in pretty much perfect condition which suprised me :shock:. But it just dosent suite my kinda driving and what i like to do. I dont really drive on the freeway and i dont have to cart around a family plus they can be a b**ch to park lol.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Ta menco

sorry I'm gonna take the one just up the road

Cheers and thanks all for heaps of info

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Mont ZL Lane 4x4 Bronco

QLD, Australia

XRFan101 wrote:
Well for me ne thing was better than an XF at the time. My mum really treated that car like s**t. (was previously hers) i got sick of spending so much $$$$ just making it look nice and keeping it running that it was time for an upgrade. :roll:

And a better one at that. I have no second thoughts about buying my EF and still dont. Its a sweet car :P

Yea, me too except mines a ZL fairlane (which I still have-& still attached) and the missus got a EF fairmont (can't wait to start adding sum bits!)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next