ef temp ranges 

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: ef temp ranges
Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1991 Ford Fairmont Ghia

New Zealand

my ef wagons done 245ks and sits on the L on the temp gauge, pretty much always most ive seen it go up to is M when i got stuck in the mud up a hill, so shameful got towed out by a civic ffs

Build Thread - More of a mismatch of parts :P the-garage-f53/seftons-ea-t106586.html

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

my mate whos a mechanic thinks it might be that my temp sensors are semi stiffed etc could this be part of it?? im hoping its nothing to do with the head/ headgasket cause sometimes when take the cap off its semi steaming etc but that goes away sorta quickly? i hate when theres so many things that could be the problem like there is with the cooling system :/ :x

EFII Project Progress.
2.5" Catback, POD Filter, blue neon interior and footwell LED's, smoked tail lights,scoop over snorkel , custom boot install with 15"&12" SUBS 4CH AMP, HID Xenon lowbeam kit, fusion headunit 4" 6"/tweeters 6x9's, 2 stage shift kit

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:34 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Sefton wrote:
my ef wagons done 245ks and sits on the L on the temp gauge, pretty much always most ive seen it go up to is M when i got stuck in the mud up a hill, so shameful got towed out by a civic ffs

thats really sad that it was a civic :/ didnt even think those egg cookers even could pull skin off custard

EFII Project Progress.
2.5" Catback, POD Filter, blue neon interior and footwell LED's, smoked tail lights,scoop over snorkel , custom boot install with 15"&12" SUBS 4CH AMP, HID Xenon lowbeam kit, fusion headunit 4" 6"/tweeters 6x9's, 2 stage shift kit

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

smittyman wrote:
my mate whos a mechanic thinks it might be that my temp sensors are semi stiffed etc could this be part of it?? im hoping its nothing to do with the head/ headgasket cause sometimes when take the cap off its semi steaming etc but that goes away sorta quickly? i hate when theres so many things that could be the problem like there is with the cooling system :/ :x

Hi,

I am sure your mate means well, but I would get it checked by someone who knows their stuff. The Temp gauge, how often do you see here that they are wrong ? How often is the fault with the Fans, a blockage or other cause ?

If you find out what it is and fix it properly, you wont be stuck on the side of the road with an expensive cooked engine / towing costs.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

on friday i bought one of those trident hi flow thermostats for my ef and was correct one, coming back from pt adelaide today the gas converter started freezing, it done it near glenelg and near seaford, i put the old one back in and there was no problems, why would this happen??

EFII Project Progress.

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Is your gas converter hooked in series with the heater core?

Is the new one faulty and stuck open? Allowing all the hot water to go through the radiator and none through the converter? Or something is blocking the flow to the converter...

Did you get a proper gas thermostat? A gas one and non gas one are different...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:27 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

yeah its hooked though the heater core, as far as i know its not faulty but ths almost double the depth of the standard one

EFII Project Progress.

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Is it a proper gas thermostat?

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:30 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

As far as I know yes, I asked the old guy who owned a ef falcon on gas as well

EFII Project Progress.

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

well if it is then nothing else would cause the converter to freeze up by simply changing thermostats... If you sat them side by side you'd soon know if it were a gas one or not...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:36 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

how would me sitting them next to each other let me know what one is for gas??

EFII Project Progress.

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:49 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Because a non gas one has an extra bit on the bottom so when it opens it blocks off the bypass pipe (which feeds the core and in your case the converter) so that all the water goes through the radiator... Not sure why they did this but it was the Ford thing... Some water must leave via the bypass but because the core still gets hot, maybe it's not enough to keep your converter from freezing up...

The the extra pin, spring and bottom plate that hangs off the bottom of this thermostat?

Attachment:
Bypass.gif
Bypass.gif [ 31.92 KiB | Viewed 1300 times ]

Does this:

Attachment:
BypassDiagrams.gif
BypassDiagrams.gif [ 12.78 KiB | Viewed 254 times ]

And here is the two item pictures off the Tridon website...

The TT228-195 for vehicles factory fitted with a bypass (E series without gas)
Attachment:
z-TT228.jpg
z-TT228.jpg [ 22.62 KiB | Viewed 247 times ]

The TT1-195 for vehicles factory fitted without a bypass (A series and E series with gas)
Attachment:
z-TT1.jpg
z-TT1.jpg [ 17.55 KiB | Viewed 265 times ]

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

The new one is the one with the extra part on the bottom :/

EFII Project Progress.

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Hence why I asked if it was a gas thermostat... That one isn't and I nearly bet that is why you are freezing the converter... Did you one you pulled out have it? When the new one opens it blocks the flow off through the core and converter...

That's an easy fix... I listed both Tridon part numbers there... You want the TT1-195...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Na one that was originally in there didn't have extra bit

EFII Project Progress.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next