Fordmods Logo

ef temp ranges 

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: ef temp ranges
Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

on warmish days my ef sits fair high on the temp range, was wondering if thats normal or is there something wrong with the cooling system??

EFII Project Progress.
2.5" Catback, POD Filter, blue neon interior and footwell LED's, smoked tail lights,scoop over snorkel , custom boot install with 15"&12" SUBS 4CH AMP, HID Xenon lowbeam kit, fusion headunit 4" 6"/tweeters 6x9's, 2 stage shift kit

Post subject: Re: ef temp ranges
Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

It should sit in the middle, and only go higher on hot days going up big hills. Have a look at the Tech Docs above, and make sure the fans are working. There may be grass / seeds and stuff in front of the radiator, or it may be partially blocked.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Mine sits just in the bottom of normal... About high 80's in the diag mode in the instrument cluster...

I'd say your cooling system is in need of some maintenance...

A full flush out and new inhibitor as well as blowing all the grass, seed, and insects out of your radiator... If inhibitor has been run in the past sludge and mud can build up in the water galleys in the bottom of the block... You need to remove to welch plugs to get it out and be sure it's clean... That's a bugger of a job...

Start with a flush and blow the crap out of the radiator and the condenser (condenser blocks the air to the radiator because it's in front)...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford LTD DA 1989

NSW, Australia

I had over heating problems about two years ago. From another forum: I disconnected the hoses and unscrewed the thermostat housing, with the fire hose flashed in reverse, filled up with clean water and washing soda, ran the car for a weed and flashed again, filled up with water and oxalic acid crystals prediluted in hot water. Ran the car for a week and flash again, chocolate like water came out every time, changed temperature sensor and thermostat and filled up new coolant. End of problem, hot days, air condition running Temp gauge not even half way up.

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

ive flushed whole system out 3-4 times and only light muddy water came out and cheacked radiator for bugs blocking front etc but still heats up, when i got the car i put one of those jars of radiator stop leak stuff in would that have done it and blocked something?

EFII Project Progress.
2.5" Catback, POD Filter, blue neon interior and footwell LED's, smoked tail lights,scoop over snorkel , custom boot install with 15"&12" SUBS 4CH AMP, HID Xenon lowbeam kit, fusion headunit 4" 6"/tweeters 6x9's, 2 stage shift kit

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Quite possibly That stuff is not a fix, it's a bandaid and generally causes more problems than it fixes, if something leaks replace it... That other stuff is crap ...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

yeah i think it stays in the coolant etc but since ive flushed it out multiple times would it have cleared it all out? would it possibly be the heater tap?

EFII Project Progress.

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Doubtful... I thought it found every small gap and like calcified in it to stop the leak... It blocks everything...

Heater tap only governs flow to the core... Only things in the motor cooling is pump, Radiator, thermostat and all the paths the water flows through...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

have you changed the thermostat? could be slow to open, or not opening completely

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:13 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

would i high pressure blast through pipes etc declog it? i might check thermostat and see if its opening properly

EFII Project Progress.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:41 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

No... You need to get it fixed properly... Replace the 20 dollar thermostat if it's old... Don't bother checking it... Pull the radiator out and give it to a radiator place and let them uncrimp the side tanks and test it... If it tests ok then have it cleaned... If it tests blocked then replace it...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia

NSW, Australia

Mine used to sit in the middle and climb on hot days and that was with a blown welch plug and a few other tiny coolant leaks. Now it sits at the very bottom of the 'NORMAL' range, on the line on the highway and midway between the A and the L in heavy traffic or hot weather in stopstart traffic.

Car sits at 77-80C on the highway, 85-95 in the city on a warm day. I'd say get your system flushed, replace your radiator/hoses or check for leaks. Even small leaks can slowly bring the temp up after a bit of driving.

4.0L Tickford six, 1645b E-series custom grind, MLS gasket, performance valve springs, 3" stainless intake, extractors, 2.5" Lukey, 100cpi hi-flow, T5 manual, J3 tune.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
A full flush out and new inhibitor as well as blowing all the grass, seed, and insects out of your radiator... If inhibitor has been run in the past sludge and mud can build up in the water galleys in the bottom of the block... You need to remove to welch plugs to get it out and be sure it's clean... That's a bugger of a job...

Start with a flush and blow the crap out of the radiator and the condenser (condenser blocks the air to the radiator because it's in front)

Cheers,
Tim

how do i get the welch plugs out and where are they located?? how do i flush the condenser out??

EFII Project Progress.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

There is 5 welch plugs under the extractors, 2 under the intake manifold and 1 in the back of the block... All the same size... 40 mm from memory... They come out ok if you know what you're doing and go in ok if you know what you're doing... Because you don't even know what they are, don't try changing them yourself...

Same way you clean the bugs out of the radiator... Compressed air...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:40 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

smittyman wrote:

how do i get the welch plugs out and where are they located?? how do i flush the condenser out??

ya dont 'flush' the condensor - it's like the radiater but sits in front of it [its for ya aircon] so clean the outside so air can get thru it

welsh plugs are on the passenger side & one at the rear [?] & i used to just use a large flat head screwdriver placed where the welsh plug side meets the base of the welsh plug & hit the head of the screwdriver with a hammer ... i try to 'spin' the welsh plug so i can then get either pliers or multigrips onto it & pull it out. if they are badly corroded the driver will prob 'fly' straight thru it lol :roll:

try NOT to push the plugs into ther motor ... makes it hard to get them out

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next