Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EF to XF conversion air box question
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: fairlane ute

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys
Has anyone had any luck fitting the factory ef air box to an XF after an engine conversion? If so what radiator was used and how did you get air into the box? I am after the factory look at the moment. (engine that is)
or is custom piping and box about the only way
cheers

Post subject: Re: EF to XF conversion air box question
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

XH airbox? may have to drill the holes for the mounting rubbers

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
XH airbox? may have to drill the holes for the mounting rubbers

Doesn't fit, radiators too close and theres no room at all for the snorkle.

I used an XG airbox setup, but im using a log manifold :/

well the box axtually fits, but you have to manipulate the lower panel with a hammer.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

i was thinking XG but when he said EF motor i assumed that he had the BBM

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB S, EF XR6

VIC, Australia

Nearly finished the conversion. Am using an EL/EL radiator. Mounting EL thermos to this. Airboxes are an issue if you're using a BBM. There's physically no room for EF/EL style boxes that I can ascertain. The XG ones, although smaller, don't fit either. XF EFI ones, non-withstanding the fact that air entry and exit points are not suitably oriented just fit. I've also tried VN/VP Commodore and Magna boxes as well for size...no dice either. My space issues are compounded by the fact that I've mounted the carbon cannister (XG - smaller than XF ones) just forward of the spring tower above the chassis rail...along with the thermofan relay block...

My solution to the induction issue is heading towards a boxed pod filter arrangement with custom intake ducting - commercially available 3 in. bends do nicely....hope this helps

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

how on earth did you fir the EF radiator in the XF?
I'm curious and I really wanted to use the EF type.

I ended up with an XG one and mounted the thermo's to that.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:47 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

yeah, i tried a few arrangements,(have BBM not LOG ) possibility using XG Radiator to help with air box fitting, as they are shorter in length, I'll use a pod and piping for now until i come up with something. maybe remodel the bottom of the air box so it doesnt hit radiator and drill new hole in front for air. Cant use the standard snorkel intake cause the bonnet sits flush with top of radiator support panel. Currently have an ED radiator in it I used top mounts flipped up side down on the bottom and bolted them into the lower support panel. The coolant tank pipe is an issue, I removed the end tank, flushed and cut off the pipe plugging it with an irrigation type plastic bolt/nut and sealant. Has shown no signs of leaking. could also cut a small section out of the side radiator support panel for this pipe.

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

If you want to move the overflow to the D/S where the battery might be a good alternative might be to use the XG Radiator, but put the EF D/S end on it. The XG Radiator is (30mm or 50mm) shorter than the EF/EL/XH one.

Use the XG radiator as is, with the Coolant bottle at the rear p/S above the A/C tx valve as per factory XG. the hoses to do this are readily available over the counter at Auto parts stores and might be the simplest.

Theres also nothing stopping you using an XF Radiator either although the hoses might be a little harder

Airboxes - You should be able to get the EEC IV one to fit, but probably not the EEC V one. Thats an issue if your using the BBM, but you can also go a pod filter like I did on my 5.0 conversion...

That is a Pod filter, hiding in a cut-down EEC V housing so that its not exposed, is a little heat resistant, and gets LOTS of cold air from right under the headlight.

Nigel

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:34 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Ford Falcon XG

VIC, Australia

Do the air box bottoms between XH XR6 and XG air boxs change much? I thought the XH bottom my be pretty similar to XG bottom, if so may possibly fit better?

The other option i had was to get a mate knock up a custom bottom thats the right shape to fit from sheetmetal and use EL lid

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

The XG is similar to the EB, and XH is similar to the EF one.
The XH one is way wider. im not sure if you'll have room in the engine bay for it and still be able to clear the top hose of the radiator.

The XG one should fit as sheetmetal is mostly the same as XF (Few additional brackets), BUT..

.. the XG used the EB Style inlet, with the low down air outlet on the box.

See what the XG XR6's used - that would work for you. It may even be an EF box "made" to fit

Nigel

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:46 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

XG XR6 still used the log manifold so the air box would be the same as standard would it not?

You would have clearence issues with sheetmetal bottom and EF lid if using EL radiator but should be right if using XG radiator..

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I hate saying this, but dont forget to investigate commodore airboxes as well. we used them all the time with the EFI Manifolds on the 250 crossflows (they were cheap to replace after an LPG Backfire...).

You can mount them where the battery goes (relocate battery to boot), and you have a fairly direct path to Manifold Inlet.

Nigel

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:37 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

if you were to do this... is there an effective and neate way to fit off the terminals in the engine bay? can you have an actual positive and negative terminal still? for jump starting purposes ect

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I never have - I always jump started from the back.

You run your main feed cable from the battery direct to the starter motor, then you run the alternator cable from alternator to starter motor.

You can move your main Vehicle power over from the Battery +ve to the alternator.

Nigel

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

well i reckon ef box will fit with some mods. Block off the the existing snorkel to air box hole and drill a new hole at the front of the box with a short snorkel behind the headlight. This is where the XG intake sits anyway. The XG has a different sheetmetal area under the airbox, its pressed in where the XF isnt. This is to allow the corner of the airbox to sit lower by the looks, therfore staying clear of top rad hose. . I am thinking about using the EF radiator and running coolant tank pipe right around back of engine to avoid the poxxy XG T piece set up, but at the moment a modified EB radiator and XG coolant tank location are in use. I used upper thermo housing from EB/ED this brings the top hose away from the air box a bit as it points towards front of car instead out sideways. I had been using a pod in an enclosed area where xf bottles were with the ED engine in it so that may still happen again. I've got a fairlane front on it and max air flow seems to be behind and around headlights. I know the EF BBQ plate style intakes are average but it looks pretty cool under the bonnet of an XF/ZL ute. tomorrow will sort it out hopefully.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next