Fordmods Logo

EF XR6 Bought it with my heart not my head did I get stung? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: EF XR6 Bought it with my heart not my head did I get stung?
Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ebxr82nv wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
its not hard to imagine,
all used car sales man are dishonest... thats there job..

I always operated with integrity and honesty. Probly the main reason I dont sell cars anymore....

there you go, you agree........ it takes a dishonest car salesman to move cars quick and become successful.

if carsalesman actually let people now about (for eg.) how the sump had a bad leak before the degreaser & silicone got slapped on at the dealership, or other things that only become apparent to the buyer once they get home, then they wouldnt too so well would they ? :lol:

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

How many kms on it???

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:09 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

ebxr82nv wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
its not hard to imagine,

as somebody who used to do this as a living I resent that comment, I always operated with integrity and honesty. Probly the main reason I dont sell cars anymore. What most people dont realise is that carsales people know less about what their selling than you do, to them its just a job. At times I did hide behind non disclosure, like the time I sold a late model pajero exceed it had all the bells and whistles but the previous owner had 4 labradors and used to go to the beach with them everyday. The car stank like wet dog and I mean stank! I spent 4 hrs with a bloke while he was looking at it he took it for a 2 hr drive then spent the next 2hrs crawling through, under and all over it, even brought his own torch. He bought the car and never said a word about the smell so neither did I.

sorry i didnt mean to offend so dont take it personally..
although there are alot of shonky ones in sydney, its more as you said, that some salesmen dont know that much about the mechanical side of things and sell on the fact of market value,km and apperence, not mechanical condition..
ive even had one tell me that the falcon had a v6 ..lol....

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

haha A V6 gees must have been an Explorer falcon hybrid lol

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: 96 Ford Fairmont EF II n others

QLD, Australia

Sammish wrote:
its an auto, should i contact the dealer to have these little problesm fixxed?

well if under warranty Hell yeah get em to fix or if ya not happy go to consumer affairs n tell them bout the dealership theyll sort it out

Lowndes,wincup & courtney ..Number 1 Tr888tors.....bring Ambrose back

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
ebxr82nv wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
its not hard to imagine,

as somebody who used to do this as a living I resent that comment, I always operated with integrity and honesty. Probly the main reason I dont sell cars anymore. What most people dont realise is that carsales people know less about what their selling than you do, to them its just a job. At times I did hide behind non disclosure, like the time I sold a late model pajero exceed it had all the bells and whistles but the previous owner had 4 labradors and used to go to the beach with them everyday. The car stank like wet dog and I mean stank! I spent 4 hrs with a bloke while he was looking at it he took it for a 2 hr drive then spent the next 2hrs crawling through, under and all over it, even brought his own torch. He bought the car and never said a word about the smell so neither did I.

sorry i didnt mean to offend so dont take it personally..
although there are alot of shonky ones in sydney, its more as you said, that some salesmen dont know that much about the mechanical side of things and sell on the fact of market value,km and apperence, not mechanical condition..
ive even had one tell me that the falcon had a v6 ..lol....

Yeah I bought my eb xr8 on parra rd, the guys sales pitch was that it was heaps powerful and I should be careful when I was test driving, I did laugh at him when he flicked the power button and said be careful don't loose control. Only then did I mention that I owned a 200kw xr8 ute, he shut up after that.

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1996 EF RX6

WA, Australia

Thanks for all your comments guys.

I spent about 4 hours working on the car today to try and get some of the kinks worked out myself. It was a bit of a learning curve as im used to building computers not fixing cars but heres a run down of what i got fixxed.

Left Rear break light replaced bulb and fuse
Pulled fuse out for the motorized radio antenna (Yes the XR6 does have one apparently.
Flushed and changed the oil with 15/40
Fixed the light on the gear stick thingo.
Found a remote for the keyless entry and programmed it in.
Cleaned the hell out of it
Break checked
Steering checked
Found out it had a shift kit
Installed the shift kit properly
/bought a ford keyring from super cheap
spent 45 mins trying to put my keys on it

I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow and sending them the receipts for the bulbs, oil, and other parts ive had to buy. I've been advised by a friend of mine who works at a dealership that its not particularly legal to sell a second hand car with out giving it a service pre sale. I guess I'll try to be reasonable with them and see if i can get a service out of them.

In all honesty I love the car, theres something about the EF that appeals to me. Every time i hear it rev i smile and its nice to have the knowledge that its all mine. I just can't stand dishonesty theres no need for it. If i was told about the problems i would have still bought it. I was hooked. I just didn't need to feel that i'd been cheated.

I'm not saying all car salesmen are terrible human beings but this particular guy was. Last time i trust a londoner :P

Thanks again all.

Also... I need a switch for the headlights mine appears to have snapped off the pliers will do for now but yeah....

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Sounds like an ok price depending on condition and kms. Dealers will usually try to rape you, you need to know what you are looking at, and know what mental tricks they use and be prepared for them. As soon as you are in the yard, there job is to control you to the point of buying a car. They are usually good at it, its there job.

The elec aerial was optional, not many cars would have had one though. If you can hear the motor running in it, it should just need a new rope. A new mast and rope can be had for under $40 from Aerpro (an aftermarket radio accessory manufacturer). Very simple job to change over.

Goodluck getting anything from the dealer though, it may be illegal to sell unroadworthy cars but they do it all the time.

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:19 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1993 ed xr6

QLD, Australia

it is a nice car and i personally dont think you got stung but that rear tail light is a roadworthy item that needs to be fixed in 1st 30 days by yard. I myself havent had a good experience with car salesmen but im sure if i looked long enough i would find 1, even a ex friend of mine used to boast how he would pick out the good points of a car and still encourage customers to buy, even though a few of the cars he sold were lemons.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 96 efII xr6

QLD, Australia

not sure if its the same over your way ..
but here in QLD ,you void any waranty if the car is worked on (without dealer permision)
by someone other than the dealership you purchased it from .?
i would check the fine print in the waranty part of your paper work .
your car should be RWC by the dealer,brake lights are part of RWC.
as well as any oil leaks .
as for the arial ,you can buy the inside part from ford & supercheap .

i bought my 1st 96 xr6 ,got it home ,wammo .2 weeks later found the cracked head ,
also water ports in the engine all coroded .the water pipe rusted & water pump the same.
anywhere the water went there was corosion on alloy bits & rust on the metal .
looked like there was never any coolant in it,only muddy dam water .lol.
but i got it cheap .thinking there were problems & there were..
so i just got another 2nd hand low k engine for $500 .
my 2nd 96 xr6 had a leaking power steer pump.coil pak buggered,leaking water / heater hoses.
but again ,paid low $$ for it knowing these things .
im in the middle of fixxing all this .
there a top car the ef/el .fix the bits on it & enjoy ..
heres apic of my problem on the 1st xr6 .lol.
1st pic you can see the crack .. :(
dave ..

Attachments:
RIP 008.JPG
RIP 008.JPG [ 153.96 KiB | Viewed 103 times ]
xr6 001.JPG
xr6 001.JPG [ 153.39 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Yeah i got a dodgy deal when i bought my EF XR6 in 04' (partially my fault). Steering rack needed replacing after having the car for less than 9 months, Rear main seal went 4 months after buying, then the transmission needed an external cooler added 1 year after buying, and the biggest thing was a whole new engine was needed just under 1 1/2 years after i had her?? Bad head gasket change and dodgy mechainc skills from previous owner basically f**k my bottom end. The warranty was worth fkn nothing, then the guy that sold me the car tried to say why didnt you just bring it back to me i would have got it fixed. Im like lol i spoke to your boss and he didnt want anything to do with the car. So i told the guy that sold me my car that he was the dodgiest SOB that ive eva met and i hope he burns!

But even when i bought the car home after travelling just 120km the front headlight went, the interior light stayed on after the car was locked, the ignition light stayed on aaaand one of the wheels wasnt even fkn on properly?? i drove it home and thought i could feel and hear something weird turned out 2 of the wheel nuts were comming loose?

Haha so Sammish i dont think that u have had it as bad, and sounds like u still got a good deal.

LOL but despite all of this i love my car!!

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

NSW, Australia

XRFan101 wrote:
Yeah i got a dodgy deal when i bought my EF XR6 in 04' (partially my fault). Steering rack needed replacing after having the car for less than 9 months, Rear main seal went 4 months after buying, then the transmission needed an external cooler added 1 year after buying, and the biggest thing was a whole new engine was needed just under 1 1/2 years after i had her?? Bad head gasket change and dodgy mechainc skills from previous owner basically f**k my bottom end. The warranty was worth fkn nothing, then the guy that sold me the car tried to say why didnt you just bring it back to me i would have got it fixed. Im like lol i spoke to your boss and he didnt want anything to do with the car. So i told the guy that sold me my car that he was the dodgiest SOB that ive eva met and i hope he burns!

But even when i bought the car home after travelling just 120km the front headlight went, the interior light stayed on after the car was locked, the ignition light stayed on aaaand one of the wheels wasnt even fkn on properly?? i drove it home and thought i could feel and hear something weird turned out 2 of the wheel nuts were comming loose?

Haha so Sammish i dont think that u have had it as bad, and sounds like u still got a good deal.

LOL but despite all of this i love my car!!

what part of the problems on your car could have been forseen by anyone? even a life time mechanic couldnt diagnose a rear main seal months before it starts to leak or a steering rack months before it actualy dies.

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Umm pretty sure if the car was on a lift it could of been found...? And doesnt take much for a dealership to say hey lets just put stop leak in thier or some f**k glue or some s**t. As for the bottom end (obviously) didnt point that at the dealership (more to the warranty mob) should have cleared that up. But they are the ones who sell you the warranty and say yeah do it, its worth it what if something happens blah blah buy it etc etc.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Also im pretty sure a wobbly tyre could of been picked up by "anyone" before the car was handed to me.. If it had it been checked before handing it over to the new owner. Same with the electrics... Just more to my point of dodgy dealerships and what they do and dont do.. And what they say and what they B*** out thier mouths too lol

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:11 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the problem with some of those warranties is that the give you warranty on the engine gearbox and diff..
but in there fine print it does not include any gaskets or consumables..
so things like an oil leak, leaking head gasket, worn brake pad are not normally covered.

but if the engine gets a bearing knock,burns or drops a valve or throws a rod they will only cover the first $1000 of repaires..

so read the conditions of there warranty before you aggree..
i have brought cars from car yards but normally offer them cash at a substantially lower price that they are advertising, and tell them to forget the warrantiy as i know that there warranties mean s**t...

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next