Fordmods Logo

EL Distributor Conversion? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Distributor Conversion?
Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

Hey Fellas,

Im building a hot 250 motor for my XF to run straight LPG. I wanted to replace the dizzy with an fresh modle as im sure the one in it is getting pretty tired. I was wondering if the EL dizzys can be made to fit a 250 X-flow. I know they use the same rotor and cap and the EL ran a haul effect setup just like mine so i was curiuos as to wether it would bolt in?

Cheers

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

im not sure if it's the same but last time i checked, bosch still make the xf distributor brand new.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Might give you a few pointers http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20002

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

that thread raises an interesting problem. A whole heap of 250 crossflow blocks were apparently made incorrectly, in short the dizzy was in slightly the wrong place. Instead of ditching all the blocks, ford apparently modified the gear on the cam shaft that drives it. The problem that this causes now is that if aftermarket cams are used or distributors swapped gears get chewed out.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

thanks for teh link. does anyone know what a new XF one is worth from bosch? how does this compare to the price of an overhaul for mine?

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:08 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Sorry i missed whther you were referring to
A. bosch reluctor type electronic dizzy as found in XE and XF
OR
B. bosch hall effect distributor as found in late XF's and used with the EST timing computer.

Now up front i will tell you that NO you can't use an EL dizzy. For one the cam gear is upside down. Secondly the chopper wheel inside has a different profile to that found in the XF. All the multi point dizzys have what is called a PIP signal. This is because one tooth on the chopper wheel is shorter. Also i think it fires on the opposite edge (ie the rotor button is pointing to the other side of the tooth).

The XE reluctor type is probably a bit more flexible to use in a modified engine as the EST can't be adjusted.

HEI caps can be swapped over with the correct rotor button. There are 3 different types to be aware of. The shaft diameter differs and so does the height.

What makes you think yours is "tired"? Is it sloppy? As you are spending money on a rebuild its worth getting the dizzy checked out and graphed to suit your cam and fuel choice. Speak to Ian at Ignition Torque...very helpful guy.

Aaron

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

i just figured the motor and dizzy thats in the car now is 290thousand Ks + and the motor is worn out so the components inside the dizzy might be equally worn? do you not think its worth worrying about?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]