Fordmods Logo

el engine into ba 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: el engine into ba
Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:24 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: falcon el

QLD, Australia

hey guys i want to put a el engine and trans into a ba. I know its usaully the other way around but its all i have to work with. Does anyone know what has to be done. The car cannot be registered but i want it for powercruise due to the fact i have a perfect el engine, trans, turbo kit and also a rolling xr6t ba laying around.

Any help would be appreciated :D

Post subject: Re: el engine into ba
Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

hope your wearing a flame proof suit

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

hmm shouldn't be that hard to do. it should fit in no problem, getting it to run shouldn't be a problem only might be interior electrics

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

WILDEB wrote:

Thank you that was very helpful... Please tell me more

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Trans has shifter in slightly different position, slightly more forward requiring a change in centre console if you care... Engine mounts slightly different... Wiring for the EL dizzy...
Throw the BA instrument cluster away and put in EF or EL body electrics module, along with ECU and throttle pedal...?!!!! Could get a J3 chip with SMARTLOCK removed and use EL XR6 ECU, or whatever. Much more elegant solutions are available depending on $.

And hey, forget the flame proof suit. Try a bullet proof vest.

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:00 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

imo there is to many thing that need modification..
it would probably be cheaper to fit a ba engine in the ba!!!!!!

or hunt down something smaller or older and put the el engine in that....

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

fiend wrote:
Trans has shifter in slightly different position, slightly more forward requiring a change in centre console if you care... Engine mounts slightly different... Wiring for the EL dizzy...
Throw the BA instrument cluster away and put in EF or EL body electrics module, along with ECU and throttle pedal...?!!!! Could get a J3 chip with SMARTLOCK removed and use EL XR6 ECU, or whatever. Much more elegant solutions are available depending on $.

And hey, forget the flame proof suit. Try a bullet proof vest.

I have all the el wiring, ecu, cluster etc so no need for the wiring the dizzy or anything. So its just the position of the trans and engine mounts. well i dont think im gonna need a suit or a vest you guys are just soft.

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Changing the pedal &/or pedal box to get the cable in it (BA were fly by wire)

Change all the interior loom and the dash loom... basically swapping all the wiring out... will need some plug changes for things like the head lights and tail lights... May have to go with EL thermo fans... Need some loom holes in the firewall for the looms to go into the car maybe...

I wish all the best luck trying to get the HYM to work though... Along with all the other canBUS items... You really need to separate everything... I don't know how much stuff the BA computer handles... You need all the EL gear with smartlock bypassed for the engine and all the BA gear to make the HYM and ICC work, Its will need to have dribs and drabs added for the cluster to work...

I'd near reckon there will be more custom wiring in this than an EL with a BA motor... The canBUS will be the interesting bit, trying to retain all that operation and I'm unfamiliar how its all integrated with the other modules, computer and motor... You'll enjoy the research and trial and error for this project... :?

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Territory SX TX

QLD, Australia

WILDEB wrote:

I got what he meant. :twisted:

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:19 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

I wish all the best luck trying to get the HYM to work though... Along with all the other canBUS items... You really need to separate everything... I don't know how much stuff the BA computer handles... You need all the EL gear with smartlock bypassed for the engine and all the BA gear to make the HYM and ICC work, Its will need to have dribs and drabs added for the cluster to work...

I'd near reckon there will be more custom wiring in this than an EL with a BA motor... The canBUS will be the interesting bit, trying to retain all that operation and I'm unfamiliar how its all integrated with the other modules, computer and motor... You'll enjoy the research and trial and error for this project... :?

Cheers,
Tim[/quote]

But im using everything from the el, nothing BA except for the lsd and the shell. I cant see why i would have to do any custom wiring at all.

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

If you know how its going to work already, why are you asking for help?

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

imtroidz wrote:
timmytimtim wrote:

Cheers,
Tim

But im using everything from the el, nothing BA except for the lsd and the shell. I cant see why i would have to do any custom wiring at all.

Well if your using an EL heater box I'm really looking forward to seeing how you are gonna make it fit... :?

If your using a BA heater box its controlled by the HYM, which is controlled from the BEM by canBUS...

I can't see the EL heater box fitting...

And if you pulling out the BA BEM the ICC will no longer function either... Or you mean by everything EL your back dating and installing the whole EL dash as well? That would work... s**t load of work to install the whole dash and heaterbox though... Modding all the heater pipes and AC pipes and holes in the firewall for them...

You care to explain these specifics? Esp if you're so sure about what your doing? As mentioned above, why ask?

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Last edited by TimmyA on Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ford au

QLD, Australia

lol, youll be ruining a ba

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

frd906n wrote:
lol, youll be ruining a ba

My feelings exactly... I can kind of understand the motor you have lying around... But going backwards with the dash and all? The BA interior is so much nice then fitting an EL one... There is enough work in fitting a BA dash to the E series car, let alone fitting the e series dash to the B series car... :?

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:50 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Also when you swap out the BA stuff for El stuff you'll have to cut the hole and fit the EL column so you can run the right barrel and may as well set up the smartlock Seeing as your going with full EL dash and and all... Run the EL wheel and Air bag and transfer all the crash sensors over... That will be easier then trying to get the BA barrel to start the smartlocked computer, esp if your running the EL BEM...

Not that, if it were me, I'd be in a big hurry to try and steal a BA with an EL dash and motor in it... :?

But you said you know anyway so keen to hear the item specifics... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Tim

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next