Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Facon not starting.
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: El Fairmont

WA, Australia

Hi,

I have an old 1997 EL Ford Falcon, that we use as a run around car. The other day it was running, I had just reversed it about 2m and then it cut out...... I then attempted to start it again, the car turned over fired and the cut out again. I repeated this but the car would not stay started.

Heres the freaky thing! If you hold the key on ignition. (So the start motor is still turning with the fly wheel) The car will stay running. as soon as you let go of the key the car just cuts out like it's being turned off or getting starved of fuel.

We have replaced the fuel pump and replaced all the fuel relays. And still no joy. Has anyone encountered this problem before? We are strating to think it might be ECU related?

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mannix_119

Ford Fairmont EL. Converted Manual T5 Box. LSD Diff, K&N airfillter. Duel Fuel, Super Lows, Rims and 245 Tyres. 2&1/2" Lukey Exhaust system, GHIA Interior Wood grain/velour Door & Thumping stereo.

Post subject: Re: EL Facon not starting.
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

Mannix_119 wrote:
Hi,

I have an old 1997 EL Ford Falcon, that we use as a run around car. The other day it was running, I had just reversed it about 2m and then it cut out...... I then attempted to start it again, the car turned over fired and the cut out again. I repeated this but the car would not stay started.

Heres the freaky thing! If you hold the key on ignition. (So the start motor is still turning with the fly wheel) The car will stay running. as soon as you let go of the key the car just cuts out like it's being turned off or getting starved of fuel.

We have replaced the fuel pump and replaced all the fuel relays. And still no joy. Has anyone encountered this problem before? We are strating to think it might be ECU related?

Cheers

Mannix_119

EL Facon not starting+google

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

would it not make sense that the ignition barrel is stuffed?

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

hans hartman wrote:
Mannix_119 wrote:
Hi,

Cheers

Mannix_119

EL Facon not starting+google

What kinda reply is that...

i think you should get back to your lawn bowls or something

fiftyone wrote:
would it not make sense that the ignition barrel is stuffed?

+1 - check connections first - if not - go get another one - i'm sure if you take it to a locksmith they will be able to rekey it for you too

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: El Fairmont

WA, Australia

We have tried bypassing the ignition barrell by hot wiring the car but still the same problem. The car fires, fuel is coming through, but it just won't stay started unless you hold the key on?? It is frustrating because we have 3 EL's at home and we have used parts from the working cars to try and fix this one, with no luck. Has anyone else seen this problem?

Ford Fairmont EL. Converted Manual T5 Box. LSD Diff, K&N airfillter. Duel Fuel, Super Lows, Rims and 245 Tyres. 2&1/2" Lukey Exhaust system, GHIA Interior Wood grain/velour Door & Thumping stereo.

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:19 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2002 AUII Fairlane Sportsman V8

SA, Australia

i think its the ignition barrel too.

Sorry but they seem to be a common fault for some reason.

You can get another barrel & get it keyed to your original key apparently.

Best of luck, sorry that i can not be of much more help to you.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]