Fordmods Logo

EL Falcon battery fitted backwards (revesed polarity) 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EL Falcon battery fitted backwards (revesed polarity)
Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon EL

New Zealand

Gidday a new member here first post on any forum. My son has been using my EL Fairmont Ghia, battery went flat so he removed it had it charged and he refitted it backwards. Horn sounded but don't yet know how long it was connected. I got him to check all the fuses under bonnet 100amp etc and to change any under the dash that appeared to be blown. Car will now wind over but wont start. Interior light and door locks wont work. I am an ex mechanic, pre computers and fuel injection, so can follow any suggestions. Any help appreciated cheers

Post subject: Re: EL Falcon battery fitted backwards (revesed polarity)
Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:50 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Check the fuses again...

Can't wont start because you have no interior light... Being a mechanic you'd know to check all fuses with a multimeter or test light because a visual check proves nothing? Ie some fuses look good but are in fact blown?

Could be one of two things... Either the "Int" light fuse is blown under the dash still... Or the big one under the bonnet that feeds these fuses is blown... Be it engine or ignition or whichever one it is... But I bet you've just missed one...

Sing back once you have the interior light working again (make sure it isn't just a blown bulb too giving misindication of no power on the circuit)... Soon as it works at least you'll have power to the immobilisation module... Speaking of which, what does your smartlock light do?

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Thanks for the quick reply. The car is in Brisbane I am in New zealand. Will be flying over Monday to try to get car going for my daughter who is moving over in a couple of weeks and needs to get to Tamworth. Have read alot on the forums to try and see what to check when I arrive. Son very bright but not with cars.

No one seems to be able to confirm what would be blown with battery reversal so am bringing computer, BCM, Coil, Distributer, Fuel Pump relay etc. Recheck of fuses etc will be first on list but willing to accept any suggestions. cheers

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

OK Well I doubt it'd be the relays or coil... They're not really something to fail from reversed polarity... Normal people who build circuits usually put a rectifier diode in first as the power comes into the module... This way if some does hook it up backwards it ensures no damage can be done... For a component worth 5 cents you'd have to assume Ford's modules would have one in them for protection... Dizzy wouldn't be worth bringing, maybe the TFI module off the side... Again though, you'd reckon there would be a rectifier diode in it for protection...

Other thing I know Ford have used is a zener diode... Pretty sure these conduct one way, but only conduct backwards when an overvoltage is sensed... protects electronics from too higher voltage... Means if you hook them up backwards they're a short circuit and usually blow a stack of fuses... Again protecting modules...

I would put my money on it being a fuse still... I'd be telling your son to go get a multimeter and pull the big fuses under the engine bay and check them for continuity... And then just check volts to each side of the fuses under the dash... He obviously needs to make sure he hasn't "borrowed" one from one position to swap with another one and then left one circuit without a fuse...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Thanks Tim hope your right about the fuses at the end of the day I get a weeks holiday. Will post the result once I get it sorted.

Cheers Steve

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah... Keen to hear back... Let us know how you go... I have seen many cars with a reverse connected battery still fire up ok after nearly every fuse has been changed... Fingers crossed it hasn't done any great damage to yours...

Good Luck!

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

Have a look at the fuse-able links. There are 3 in the car from what my manual says. In most cases of reverse polarity they are the thing that goes.

Good luck 96 ELGli

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Your manual is wrong because it isn't for an EL... Fusible links were in EA-ED and phased out in EF onward being replaced with the fuse block near the header tank...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Tim,

I can read. My manual IS for an EL, and I did say it is what the manual said. I have found wiring mistakes before with manuals. In any case the starting point is the main fuses. Page 265 Gregory's manual # 270 is my reference.

Regards EL96Gli

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

i'll agree... My gregories manual is nothing but rubbish... Lucky it was a free download... Glad i have the proper ford one... The gregories for the ef el shows bits and pieces off ea falcons... They really had no idea about model differences... I can only recommend you do be careful what it says if you're ever doing anything based off of it... Imo genuine manual is worth its weight in gold...

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

since the battery was out...was the key left in the ignition on the "ON" position prior to starting the car up? The smartlock might need to be re-learned by the BCM/ECU (or which ever needs it) to allow the car to start.

Can't remember if the TFI would stuff up if reverse polarity is put on it...doubt it though.

Good luck.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

A mate of mine connected his battery backwards in his EL XR6 and it blew the 100A MAIN fuse in the fuse block next to the header tank.

Gab

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

not sure if this would be the same, but my mate hooked jumper leads up backwards and it blew the auto fuse, the 15 amp fues at the very top of the fuse box inside the car, the car would crank and not fire like you said

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Gab1 wrote:
A mate of mine connected his battery backwards in his EL XR6 and it blew the 100A MAIN fuse in the fuse block next to the header tank.

Gab

+1
bloke from fordmods who lives around the corner from me reversed the battery and blew the main fuse only, but check ALL fuses

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ba fairlane ghia

NSW, Australia

any money it is the crp-lp fuse door locks not working no interior light cranking but no fire if you trust your son tell him to replace the very top left hand fuse (vertical one) which is the second row first row is hozontal and if he gets lights crank it i blow my radio up i had no remote door locks not working no interior light but cranking its balls off

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next