Fordmods Logo

EL High Revs Leaking Oil 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EL High Revs Leaking Oil
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

My M8's EL 6cyl is revving at about 3kRPM in idle he brung it over so i could have a look and i cleaned the solenoid and lowered the idle of the throttle body but not cure i even disconnected the solenoid but no cure again so i had a good look over noticed oil was a little low still on ok zone but heading down so i checked for oil leaks i found one looks like coming out of the bottom of the headgasket

the oil isnt milky i didnt get a chance to have a look at the water as it was way to hot and he had to go as he is on a schedule today is it possible the headgasket has gone but would it cause the high rev ? it also appears to be having a miss but its hard to tell when it revs so high it also is having a mild temperature coming on the M on normal i checked the ignition system all seems well there as it all is rather new i did say the gearbox could use a service as the oil for the gearbox is a blacky brown
i also reset the computer thinking maybe a easy fix but no luck

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Post subject: Re: EL High Revs Leaking Oil
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
My M8's EL 6cyl is revving at about 3kRPM in idle he brung it over so i could have a look and i cleaned the solenoid and lowered the idle of the throttle body but not cure i even disconnected the solenoid but no cure again so i had a good look over noticed oil was a little low still on ok zone but heading down so i checked for oil leaks i found one looks like coming out of the bottom of the headgasket

the oil isnt milky i didnt get a chance to have a look at the water as it was way to hot and he had to go as he is on a schedule today is it possible the headgasket has gone but would it cause the high rev ? it also appears to be having a miss but its hard to tell when it revs so high it also is having a mild temperature coming on the M on normal i checked the ignition system all seems well there as it all is rather new i did say the gearbox could use a service as the oil for the gearbox is a blacky brown
i also reset the computer thinking maybe a easy fix but no luck

It may have a vacume leak, Id check the lines for any cracks. If you d/c the isc and no change it sounds like a vacume problem

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ok

the oil leak is at the front of the motor drivers side just behind the power steering pump

ive just asked him to have a look over the phone as i remember seeing in the corner of my eye a hole were a bolt should be and it would appear a bolt the middle one that holds the power steering pump is gone could this cause the oil leak and be possibly the vacuum leak ?

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:48 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

No to both your questions about the bolt.

Get some carby cleaner, spray it on the vac lines, you will find the leak pretty quick.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

Doubt it man. Leaking oil will probably be another thing all together.
You want to start checking the vaccume hoses.
Check The one from the top of the rockercover, and the ones from the map sensor. It may be a very small hole.
You will probably have to take the hoses out and check them.
Make sure you remember where they go.!

Good luck mate.

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:59 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

is the oil level dropping at all?

The revs, I would check the butterfly in the throttle body is definatly closing all the way. the ISC should only control about 250 - 300 rpm of engine speed, just enough to allow the aircon to run without dropping revs or the powersteer at full travel.

for 3000 rpm there must be a host completly disconnected, a vac leak will only do so much, if you find anything that looks sus, like a hose should be there but isn't plug it with your mates finger and see how the revs go then.

I'd be checking the throttle butterfly is operating properly first though.

He hasn't fooled round with the throttle cable has he? thinking he can get it to open 110% or something silly like that?

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

the butterfly is closed i did check that

ill have a look at the vacuum hoses when he get here at 9 tonight

would the leak be the head gasket ?

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:23 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

easy way to check for a vac leak, take off the air intake and cover the throttle body with a sheet of rubber or your hand, if it keeps revving there is a vac leak..

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yea id say headgasket. That's what it usually is. Or rockercover.
Is it dripping oil from the engine, like its a bad leak or is there just some oil on the side of the head/block.

When my extractors were fitted the bloke snapped off the brether ontop of the rocker cover. This has my eb hunting between 1500and 2000rpm.
And when I had a split hose to the map it was reving at 2500rpm.
Using s**t of fuel?

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

its using a s**t load of fuel its being really bad on economy
could it just be the high revs or could the map sensor cause high revs ?

i will try troymans method

i couldnt see the actual drip but it must be dripping as it was just a random spot nothing there on that spot things are above it i think the cylinder head is above were its leaking i did say that could be the head gasket but i didnt wanna believe it

i would say he has most likely being treating the car like s**t revving the f**k out of and running it hard as possible he has a tendency to break motors so i would assume he is doing that

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Poor economy could be from just high revs. But if there is a vac leak the computer will be mixing fuel to air as what should be comming in. But since there is way more air it'll either be running really rich or really lean, pretty sure its lean.
This would rape you're fuel ecconomy.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

the oil leak has been resolved it came from the power steering pump but it seems to have stopped just at the right level

now the idle still needs to be fixed after much reading and googling i believe i have the answer
as i couldnt find a single problem with vacuums
and when i put my hand over the throttle body it f**k sucked my hand in and the idle went down alot but i couldnt cover the whole throttle body 100% as some was going through my hand but the butterfly is closed

could it be the TPS (throttle Position sensor) as he said he had been revving the living hell out of the car (once went to 6K RPM in first apparently)

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Good to hear the oil problems solved.

Might wanna tell you're mate to take it to a mechanic and get them to hook a smoke machine up to it. But since its christmas chances are no mechanics will be open.

Could very well be the intake manifold leaking.
Just was thinking about it today actually.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

no mechanics are open thats why he took it to me he knows im a EF EL nut

ill check the intake manifold when i see the car next its currently hard to get it anywere as with the high revs it really wants to take off and the the traffic is a b**ch

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yea that's a bit rough.
Best of luck sorting it out man.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next