Fordmods Logo

EL Misfire Mystery - Interesting, Expensive and Annoying 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: '97 Falcon Futura Wagon

VIC, Australia

Yeah, Bosch. I was considering movin my coil because of heat but for some reason I didn't (probably coz it was after doin the HG and wanted the car back on the road).
I did replace the HT leads but haven't done the coil since I replaced the dizzy.

Is the noise in my head bothering you? Because the noise in yours is annoying the s**t out of me.
El Futura Wagon - LPG, Wade 1636, Pacy 4499s, hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback, mild shift kit, Sony HU, VDO 100WRMS Splits, Pioneer 30WRMS Coaxs, Pioneer 12" sub, Audioline 300WPMPO amp.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Xr6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

injectors, i did all the same as you and last to change was injectors and that did it :D

Previous cars

1995 ef futura - nothing special
2003 xr6 turbo 5 -speed 307rwkw

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:14 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

The only thing is that it happens on gas too, or could an injector be putting fuel in with gas and it's running that cylinder rich (wouldn't this cause black smoke?).

Is yours on LPG?

By the way, when I did the HG, i got the valves re-seated (some weren't sealing) and it doesn't blow smoke, may I assume a compression test would probably dictate this?

Thanks guys
Pete

Is the noise in my head bothering you? Because the noise in yours is annoying the s**t out of me.
El Futura Wagon - LPG, Wade 1636, Pacy 4499s, hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback, mild shift kit, Sony HU, VDO 100WRMS Splits, Pioneer 30WRMS Coaxs, Pioneer 12" sub, Audioline 300WPMPO amp.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:57 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EA Fairmont

ACT, Australia

poita wrote:
By the way, when I did the HG, i got the valves re-seated (some weren't sealing) and it doesn't blow smoke, may I assume a compression test would probably dictate this?

Hi There
A compression test would be good if you can do it .
It will hopefully eliminate a number of possible problems.

Also, have you checked the ISC ??

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

No, I haven't done much in the ISC area, unplugging it kills the engine and in won't start without it (which I thought was odd considering some people have disconnected their ISCs to get a higher idle).

I will however run some acetone through it (throttle body cleaner) to see if it helps.

Thanks for the reply
Pete

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Futura Wagon

QLD, Australia

If you disconnect the ISC you need to raise the idle to compensate. If your car stalls when the ISC is disconnected then that tells you it is working (at least to some extent). I would try an find an air leak around th intake somewhere. For some reason they seem to be hard to pinpoint on these cars (EF/L). Look especially hard around number six right up the very back of the head. Oil, water or WD40 sprayed/dripped around that area will help find the problem. You are looking out for any drop or rise in rpm.

You could also try a dynamic compression check which would tell you if you have any blockages in the exhaust or intake (so collapsed cat, burnt valves, etc). Just google dynamic compression and you should be right. It is basically doing a normal compression check but with the engine running.

cheers
Scott

If it doesn't fit, jam it. If that doesn't work use a hammer. - Engineers Motto

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Thanks mate, I'll def do the leak test.

I doubt blockages (although I'm not ruling it out), as when I did the HG, I cleaned both the inlet and exhaust manifolds and the valves were re-seated by the head reconditioner.

I did have a leak on the plenum when I got the engine back together (it was making a rather annoying whistling sound), so I should've gone over all of the bolts (I completely forgot about that).

Thanks heaps for the replys
Pete

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:56 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

I know I'm thread mining hardcore here. But I had a misfire problem with my EL also. I reset base timing using the proper diagnostic method and haven't had a problem since.

Give that a try.

In hope we believe... but in God we trust...

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

I wonder if you have spent enough to buy another motor by now . . cursed things . . wish you luck

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2