Fordmods Logo

fairmont ghia died while driving 

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: fairmont ghia died while driving
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL GHIA

SA, Australia

this may be unrelated but i have had two fairmont ghias - EA & EL and both died when driving down the street under no load - difference being they would not restart when cooled down

anyway the issue in both instances was the TFI module - cure was to replace distributor complete with new TFI

if ya gonna go down this track use only bosch or original motocraft - not the cheapest option but by far the safest as the yumcha cheap dizzys have a habit of failing and shearing or stripping the drive gear shaft

i eventually got around stripping down the old dizzys to investigate why the TFI fails and found on both old dizzys the heat sink compound had dried out between the TFI module and distributor mounting base this i believe caused the TFI to overheat and fail

if you are lucky cleaning surface area on the TFI and dizzy and reapply some quality heat sink compound

MSY computer shop sell some stuff called "artic silver heat sink compound" reasonably cheap
around $10 enough to do the job as it only has to be a thin coating but both surfaces need to be very clean or lapped before the compound is applied

Post subject: Re: fairmont ghia died while driving
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:21 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Jonathan Kakousidis wrote:
daniel000 wrote:
Its funny i have found this thread as it is currently happening to my EF Fairmont. The other day turned the car on, came out of the street (while on gas) and the car just died. Ever since, even on petrol, the car will either take 4 -5 seconds on clicking over to actually start, start on petrol or wont start at all. While on gas, it will start and run really bad with revs dropping below 1k and then cut out.

With the TFI module and fuel pump, is this something i can change? or will i have to go somewhere? what price am i looking at as well?

Sorry for jumping this thread as well i just didnt want to have to start a new one

cheers
daniel

coils and dizzy you can change yourself if you take your time and dont mind getting dirty :D
just mark sure you take carefull note of where the dizzy and rotor is if it is a el but if ef even easyer job

price wise
ef coil around $100
el coil about $60
ef dizzy $?????
el dizzy $160

EF's don't run distributors. They have electronic ignition...so only coils.

daniel000, try changing over to a working coil and see how that goes. I had trouble starting my EL and being lazy as I am, I didn't fix it and lived with it until it was unplugged and the car didn't start...found out the coil was dead.

Check the resistance across the coil...I think it should be around 0.8 Ohms...but someone hopefully will correct me on that.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2