Fordmods Logo

FG xr6 looks like its made cheap! 

Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post subject: Re: FG xr6 looks like its made cheap!
Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Sound deadening can weight quite a lot also.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

You cant over look the increased cabin safety of newer cars. There is a lot more metal used in the main cabin than there used to be. Using plastics, and other composites, help to overcome the huge increase in weight due to safety requirements.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: FG XR6

NSW, Australia

I racked up 150thou km's on my FG, and the intake manifold is still the same shape when it was new, and it does not appear to be brittle. im no expert, but its holding up well, and its defiantly lighter than its ba-bf counterpart.

pacemakers, 100cpsi ballistic cat + 2.5" sureflo exhaust, Flash tune Yet to dyno new additions

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ba XR6 mk2 n/a

NSW, Australia

All i need to say is the new holdens are made cheaper than our ford, interior (seats) look s**t, compared to the falcons...

BANNED USER

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

ba_xr6bw wrote:
All i need to say is the new holdens are made cheaper than our ford, interior (seats) look s**t, compared to the falcons...

interior has always seemed cheaper in the commodores compared to the falcons, thats how i see it anyway

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:52 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: FG XR6 Turbo Ute

VIC, Australia

ba_xr6bw wrote:

so irrelevant to the topic :roll:

Go to nizpro's website, the video is being aimed at xr6t but still relevant.
Im sure the cost effectiveness for FORD is not just to make something cheaper for the sake of it.
More than likely they had to whereever possible make some servicabilty sacrifices in to order to bring production cost down, and for a couple of reasons

With the down turn in internationally markets it forever becoming more difficult for aussie manufacturers to continue building our vehciles on our shores and still being price competitive/affordable.

Ultimately if alternatives such as in the intake case werent used at a sacrifice of longevity it would mean one of two things.

One the loss of australian jobs as all manufacture would be moved to china/thailand/singapore/malayasia

Two the death of the FALCON. Which would be a very very sad day for Australia to lose its pioneer family sedan which has helped build towns/cities/futures for australian families in its long production

Besides all of this there is no evidence aas of yet to viability/lifespan as yet. So i would so just lets see.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

tearlejc wrote:

You beat me to it - the one that made me go WTF a few years ago was WRX's weighed the same as a V8 HJ Kingswood - where in hell is the progress there?? OK, OK, so you get airbags and computers and electric bottom warmers and all the other crap that is sooo necessary in a new car these days, but do we really need all that stuff? My XB doesn't have any of that rubbish and it still functions as a motor vehicle - I'm sure new car owners will tell me what a deathtrap I'm driving but you know what? It hasn't killed me yet....

yeah the car is lighter, and in an accident it shows.......

60kph rear ended at a set of lights (not my pic)

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ba XR6 mk2 n/a

NSW, Australia

Ok, say the falcons did die out and completley stop. would it mean that previous falcons such as xr6's xr8's fpv will hold there value longer than usual??
8-)

BANNED USER

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: FG XR6

NSW, Australia

its not the weight. and your car would probably give you neck and back problems because the car will exert all the force through you to the front, where as the newer cars are made to crumple, spread the forces away from the passengers. Worst car of all time to try and accomplish this - the proton jumbuck, have a look at its crash test on youtube.

pacemakers, 100cpsi ballistic cat + 2.5" sureflo exhaust, Flash tune Yet to dyno new additions

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

For what its worth I just pulled a SOHC motor out of the daughters 96 Excel and its intake is plastic. The motors stuffed but the intake looks just fine.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

jamual8 wrote:
its not the weight. and your car would probably give you neck and back problems because the car will exert all the force through you to the front, where as the newer cars are made to crumple, spread the forces away from the passengers. Worst car of all time to try and accomplish this - the proton jumbuck, have a look at its crash test on youtube.

i saw the proton ute crash test... wow.,

i hope if i ever have a head on crash it be with one o them. i wouldnt be hurt at all. doubt if even my airbag will be deployed.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4