Fordmods Logo

fg xr6 na bolt on modifications. good and bad 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: fg xr6 na bolt on modifications. good and bad
Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:21 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: FG XR6 2013

QLD, Australia

Hey ive recently bought myself a 2013 fg xr6 na, i want to do a few minor things to it. New to the ford world, but i want the obvious mods , intake and exhaust pretty well done straight away.
Intake will be growler and bigmouth intake but im finding it hard to figure out what exhaust to get trying to avoid that awful 6 cylinder drone.

My local guy has recomended a full hurricane 2.5" catback. Im now thinking to stay away from these full systems that are all noise and little gains and try putting just extractors on my stock system, and hearing the top end growl but still have nice quite normal drive, and if that doesnt forfill my expectations put a magnaflow cat on through stock mufflers.

Has anyone done this and what did you acheive? Also if there is any othe modifications recommended please post.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: fg xr6 na bolt on modifications. good and bad
Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: '07 XT

NSW, Australia

Can't comment on a hurricane exhaust but I had a set of their extractors in my bf and theoretically they should've performed about midway between a set of standard 4490's and the modified 4495's I've now got. I've heard there's a set of FG hurricanes that are different to b series though but haven't seen anything official.

Something you might want to consider is a full custom exhaust that tapers down in size to maintain exhaust velocity as the gasses cool and shrink. Something like a 3 inch flange on the extractors going I to the cat, coming out 2.5 inch into your mid muffler and then 2.25 over the diff into the rear muffler. Or step it up a touch and have the centre dual 2 inch with a single 2.5 rear

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks man i asked him about a resonator aswell but he said with the system i wouldnt need one, does the resonator open up and step down like you were recomending ?

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

No they dont come like that, eg - 2.5" entry and 2.25" exit, they come the same in and out, you will need to.. say buy a 2.5" inch one for the entry size, then have a 100mm length of 2.5" tube welded into the exit, then have a 2 bolt flange, to change it from 2.5" to 2.25", they will just blow the end of the 2.25" pipe up to suit the 2 bolt flange, then happy days, you now have 2.5" going down to 2.25" after the resonator/muffler,

I sadly have to build custom exhausts as well as do my mechanical because of where i work..

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:22 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

So where abouts in the system should i change ? After the first muffler ?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]