Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Fitting steering wheel to XH
Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:19 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 98 XH2 Ute

VIC, Australia

hey guys, iv got my 98 manual XH ute,
its got a few mods already done to it, the long term goal is to put a BA XR6 turbo in it,
so far its got a few things done in the looks department
lowered, rims, shifter, hard top
im about to put the new steering wheel in it, couldn't get a XR8 Momo steering wheel so i grabbed 1 from super cheap that i thought would look alright since it matches the shifter, I've got the Boss Kit, and was wondering how to install it all without setting off the airbags, any help would be appreciated HEAPS!
ill post a few pics, thanks heaps!!!!!!
Attachment:
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg [ 347.18 KiB | Viewed 214 times ]

Attachment:
pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg [ 262.57 KiB | Viewed 203 times ]

Attachment:
pic3.jpg
pic3.jpg [ 309.58 KiB | Viewed 188 times ]

98 XH 5 Speed
BA 17"s, BA Short Shifter, 2.5" Mandrel Bent Redback, More To Come!
98 XH 5 Speed - http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/a-bone-s-98-xh-5-speed-t98900.html

Post subject: Re: Fitting steering wheel to XH
Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

do u realise u can get defected for that wheel as i doesnt have the airbag
it will void any insurance u have too if u have an accident

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I was under the belief that there is no boss kit available to suit the EF/EL column as others on here have modified two column into one to get an ED splined top section (as there is a boss kit available to suit an ED)...

Can you post up pics of the boss kit so I can see it?

To avoid setting of the bag you disconnect the battery and leave for 10 mins...

To get the wheel off you first need the bit that, as far as I'm aware you can only get from Ford, its a 5 pointed torx bit (instead of the std 6 pointed torx bit)... Or alternatively... As others have done... Belt a blade screwdriver into it so that you can use that to unscrew them... There is two in the sides of the wheel that hold the airbag in...

You need a T50 3/8 or 1/2 drive piece to undo the bolt that holds it to the column... It is a taper fit, so undo the centre bolt a couple of turns and then reef on the wheel til it breaks free off the taper, undoing the bolt only a couple of turns ensures you wont belt yourself in the head with it when it comes off... Or you can makeup a simple puller... A bit of steel 70mm long (about 3 or 4mm thick) and 15mm wide... Drill 2x 6mm holes 60mm to the centres and one in the middle of these at about 10mm... using two short 6mm bolts attach to the wheel and then use the bolt in the column to pull the wheel off (This is what I made up, saves belting yourself in the head and pretty simple to make up)...

As I said, I though boss kits were not made for these due to the airbag and the clock spring set up so would be very interested to see it...

Also remember that when you remove the airbag that it will most likely not be passed for the next pinkslip (if you in nsw, we have pinkslips here), and if you get a cluey copper pull you up you'll be booked because your removing factory safety measures (picture it like removing seatbelts...) Well this is my understanding anyway, unless anyone knows different? Insurance companies might not like it either, esp if you have a prang and they go over your car with a fine tooth comb...

My 2 cents anyway...

Pics of boss please... :D

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:52 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

The Boss Kit, im picking up 2mrw.
The bloke told me that i couldnt do it if it had the airbags and i understood this, but then he said that there was a boss kit for the XH ute... :?
so he told me that mechanically it should work, i will post pics as soon as i get it, i dont know what to do... if it does have a boss kit does this mean that they did bring out XH's without airbags? and does that mean i can avoid defects? i dont really wana cop another defect as the cops seem to like my car and love havin a look at it and it doesnt help that i live on the corner of a notorious burnout spot...

98 XH 5 Speed
98 XH 5 Speed - http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/a-bone-s-98-xh-5-speed-t98900.html

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:58 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

f**k frustrating when you know very ittle and waste your money :lol: need a smoke :roll:

98 XH 5 Speed

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

A-Bone wrote:
The Boss Kit, im picking up 2mrw.
The bloke told me that i couldnt do it if it had the airbags and i understood this, but then he said that there was a boss kit for the XH ute... :?
so he told me that mechanically it should work, i will post pics as soon as i get it, i dont know what to do... if it does have a boss kit does this mean that they did bring out XH's without airbags? and does that mean i can avoid defects? i dont really wana cop another defect as the cops seem to like my car and love havin a look at it and it doesnt help that i live on the corner of a notorious burnout spot...

actually XH's might not have had airbags... have a look on the horn pad... see if it says SRS airbag or something like that...

Just take the two bolts out in the side and see if its plugged in, or whether its just a horn pad (blanking pad, no airbag)... I do get the feeling that XH's might have been airbag exempt now you mention this... Still would be the same column as an EF/EL so still not sure about this boss kit...

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:09 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

ill have a look now, thats what i was thinking...

its on the books that they sell XH Boss Kits. the horn pad does say srs airbag i looked b4 i bought it but i figured since they sell the kits it must come without airbags... how do i go about checking for an actual airbag? do you think its worth changing the steering wheel over, i like the look of the wheel and it matches the BA short shifter (im a fan of 'looks')

98 XH 5 Speed

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

pop the two plastic covers out of the side of the wheel and undo the two bolts as best you can in behind them... gently pull the centre away... if there is two wires running to it then it has an airbag... I imagine the non airbag centres come away with no wires (horn buttons clip to the wheel not the bag part, AU's have the horn buttons in the bag part)...

See how you go... don't unplug the bag with power still hooked up though, thats when you risk detonating it...

As I mentioned about disconnect power for 10 mins before unplugging... Once its unplugged its fairly safe as with the plug removed the airbag shorts the two pins together itself (built into plug) so that static in the air and the like doesn't set the detonator off...

Be interesting to see what the column looks like and the horn pad looks like if there is no bag as I've never seen one, only heard about them... So plenty of pics please... The wheel, clockspring, and horn pad...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:39 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Currently at my parents place so theres no chance of me getting the cover of, they wouldn't have any tools here at all. i pulled the little caps off and i can see the airbag... i think..
i checked the owner manual and it has a section for airbags but it says "Airbags, (where Fitted)"
i checked a few forums out where people have said that there are steering wheels that have the Longreach badge over the SRS airbag badge to cover it up because XH's did come without airbags

My main concern now is,
Can i have the steering wheel changed to the after market 1 without airbags and not worry about defects or insurance problems seeing as how the XH does come without airbags?

ill get you pics as soon as possible,

98 XH 5 Speed

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

i dont think u can delete the option if it was fitted from factory.
the s1 xh or base model may not have come with airbags

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:04 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

yeah, im taking it back. too much trouble.
Is the a place that can put new leather on for a reasonable price? or any way of getting maybe an XR steering wheel? looked on e-bay but they cost up to 400

98 XH 5 Speed

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

momo's aren't cheapno matter which model they come off...

If you like the silver bits check this one out...

http://www.autotek.com.au/shop/a-tek-st ... ilver.html

This wheel retains the airbag...

As I said though your XH may very well not have an airbag... You wont know til you unbolt the front thingo...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Black leather wheels go for as little as $50, perforated for about $100 or so. I picked up my wheel which is similar to a Momo for $250 new on ebay a while back, but theyre selling them for $450 now (different seller).

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next