Fordmods Logo

Found this in my exhaust? Help? 

Page 2 of 5 [ 62 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Found this in my exhaust? Help?
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon EF XR6

NSW, Australia

EF_wanabe wrote:
hmmm looks strange like its some kind of aftermarket not 110% sure anyone else comment?

there a PITA to gut on these falcon's need welding skills just to gut the cat what kind of cars are these doh!

Not lukey cat at all? The Ad does say lukey cat back exhaust. But on the cat it looks like it says bosal or something similiar. And the rest of the exhaust looks newer where its welded after the cat. I got no idea haha.

Yeah i hope it doesn't need any welding.. got the money to get a new cat on ebay now. Just hope i have stock extractors.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

cat back means from behind the cat back, doesnt include the cat if its welded after the cat with no flanges mean your gunna have to weld another one in or take to an exhaust joint

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

so normally you have the pipes out the drivers side of the motor to a plate that bolts to another ( thats the flange). If the bloke who did the exhaust welded the pipes from the motor to the cat, then he has taken away the flange and your chance of replacing it without welding. He has also by the looks of it taken another flange out from the cat to the back exhaust pipe... so its all 1 now piece from the motor to the tail.
Dude by the looks of this, unless you have extractors I would source a decent complete exhaust second hand from the motor to the tail as it will be a cheaper option than getting most exhaust places to supply and fit a new cat. Find someone around you that can weld, then your on the cheap and it will cost you a cat. Sorry
I got quoted $300 to just weld one side of my cat to fit extractors..... get my point

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After the cat

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

79raven wrote:
so normally you have the pipes out the drivers side of the motor to a plate that bolts to another ( thats the flange). If the bloke who did the exhaust welded the pipes from the motor to the cat, then he has taken away the flange and your chance of replacing it without welding. He has also by the looks of it taken another flange out from the cat to the back exhaust pipe... so its all 1 now piece from the motor to the tail.
Dude by the looks of this, unless you have extractors I would source a decent complete exhaust second hand from the motor to the tail as it will be a cheaper option than getting most exhaust places to supply and fit a new cat. Find someone around you that can weld, then your on the cheap and it will cost you a cat. Sorry
I got quoted $300 to just weld one side of my cat to fit extractors..... get my point

I do have the flange by the looks of it? So is it just a job of putting in a new cat? And it looks like the flange from the cat to the back exhaust pipe has been extended a bit but is still there. So where would i go from here? Sorry for taking so long with the pics slow internet connection.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

stock manifold with flanges. your in luck, just grab a 2nd hand one and bolt it in. but those pieces still may have been from the old cat and thats why an aftermarket one is on there.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

For it to be from the old cat would mean that the cat back would have to be older than the cat, but the cat back is new. I still reckon the cats f**k.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

its not extended, just needed the pipe and flange to mate up in the original position. aftermarket cats are usually about 200-300 mm shorter. if you can, unbolt the cat and see if you can see in there to see if its collapsed, should look like a honeycomb, the smaller the holes are the lower the flow. those pieces look like they are from a standard cat.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

true, didnt think of that. had a few tonight.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ranga83 wrote:

Mate I dont drink no more and if not noticing something small like that happened to me, id be chuffed. At least you have an excuse, I live it man.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

ranga83 wrote:
stock manifold with flanges. your in luck, just grab a 2nd hand one and bolt it in. but those pieces still may have been from the old cat and thats why an aftermarket one is on there.

Thanks mate will have a look around at wreckers or ebay whatever is cheaper.

79raven wrote:
For it to be from the old cat would mean that the cat back would have to be older than the cat, but the cat back is new. I still reckon the cats f**k.

Yeah i reckon its stuffed. Might as well replace it now whilst i have the cash.

ranga83 wrote:
its not extended, just needed the pipe and flange to mate up in the original position. aftermarket cats are usually about 200-300 mm shorter. if you can, unbolt the cat and see if you can see in there to see if its collapsed, should look like a honeycomb, the smaller the holes are the lower the flow. those pieces look like they are from a standard cat.

Yeah i get ya.. And i will have a look at it tommorow if i can. Had the money saved up to get the a/c pump changed and regassed so might aswell just get a new cat anyway. Saves troubles in the long run. Something like this maybe? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-EA-EB-E ... 235wt_1037

Red back any good? Cheers for all the help guys! Really appreciate it :)
ranga83 wrote:

Hahahaha could do with a slab of carlton dry

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

not sure about their cats, but i have a redback cat back. not the greatest, but ok for the money.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

is your car thirsty on juice? thats one of the first signs your cats gone, my fuel use dropped by nearly half after i replaced it

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Worth doing the o2 while he's at it you reckon guys?

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thteddieboii wrote:
ranga83 wrote:

Thanks mate will have a look around at wreckers or ebay whatever is cheaper.

79raven wrote:

Yeah i reckon its stuffed. Might as well replace it now whilst i have the cash.

ranga83 wrote:

Yeah i get ya.. And i will have a look at it tommorow if i can. Had the money saved up to get the a/c pump changed and regassed so might aswell just get a new cat anyway. Saves troubles in the long run. Something like this maybe? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-EA-EB-E ... 235wt_1037

Red back any good? Cheers for all the help guys! Really appreciate it :)
ranga83 wrote:

Hahahaha could do with a slab of carlton dry

Is it just me or does the cat on ebay look awefully like the old one you have on your car right now?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 5  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next