Fordmods Logo

Got a Real "Hum Dinger" this time. 

Page 3 of 4 [ 48 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Got a Real "Hum Dinger" this time.
Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hello,

The last thread like this was because of the Dizzy being 180 deg out. You may have a single easy to fix problem, replacing the engine will lead to new problems. ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/eb-not-starting-t130528.html

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

In your first post you say the car was running fine and you done nothing but replace the tranny, the mounts, and the inlet manifold gasket. Then it wouldn't start, and you had good spark. If that was the case there would be no need to change the dizzy, I am not sure if it is possible but if the inlet manifold gasket was upside down the notches where the injector sprays would be blocked off. If this is the case if you had of discharged a small amount of propane in the throttle plate like I said, the engine would have started. As far as the bloke in the previous post say's stay away from lpg what if your car was a straight gas ba or bf and what do you think gets injected into the throttle plate on crank, via the gas hose, LPG.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:50 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ford XG Ute

NSW, Australia

I'm not running an LPG Bottle into the Intake, when I already lost all the hair off my arm when running Ether.

Spent 9 years as a UXO Disposal Tech traveling the world making things go bang, not gonna get killed by a BBQ grill Gas Bottle.

On that Note, She Started last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So far, I've changed : Plugs,Leads,Fuel Filter,Fuel Pump, Engine Mount, Intake Gasket.

Pulled the Dizzy as some of You have Suggested and Found no issues, the Gear looked beautiful, the TFI was fine according to the specs in the manual for Ohm readings and so on.

Re-timed the whole thing, cam and Dizzy and Crank all lined up beautifully and the Dizzy dropped in without a fight the second time.

Pulled the ECU Out and let it sit for a Day outside the Ute.

Turned the key this morning and she spat to life, and then died again. Runs really rough, blowing black smoke, wont hold a stable Idle.

She'll stay running after adjusting the Dizzy some, put a light on it, and it's hovering about the 10degree mark on the crank pulley.

So I'm gonna go check vac lines, the simple stuff, then start working on the rest.

"Bloody Yank"

Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Quote:
Runs really rough, blowing black smoke, wont hold a stable Idle.

Black smoke usually means running rich. Injector stuck open??

Take plugs out and see which cylinder is carboned up?

Quote:
put a light on it, and it's hovering about the 10degree mark on the crank pulley.

I know it's a bit hard to do atm, but have you timed it while the ECU is in the "learn" mode?

Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Creeture -When you say "learning Mode" do you mean using the alligators clips and grounding out the Plug under the steering wheel as the manual says to for timing adjustments?....if so, then yes, I did.
it still idles and runs rough, has a Miss somewhere in it, and won't handle anything when you put it under a load. I triple checked all the vac lines, the dizzy firing order, the plugs and wires, all the connections I've moved....the timing mark is on point at idle...The engine timing itself is on point, had it checked and verified by a Mate who's rebuilt quite a few of'em. it's probably injectors or something along those lines...but I'm not droppin any more $$ on the Motor...for what I've put into it in the last few weeks, could have just swapped over to something newer without issues.

I made a Decison last night, I'm running down to a Mate's place and picking up a Low km El XR6 Engine, ecu, harness, and all the other odds and ends to drop straight in.

Weighed in the fact I put in a New BTR Box a few weeks ago, the fact the Missus and I are moving down to the coast, Unsure of whats gonna be going on in the next few months, I need it to be reliable. In the last year the old girl's left me hanging a few times....Coil and Dizzy went bad and needed replacing, BTR Box died to name a few.

The engine has around 400,000km's on it....Might be the right time to let the old engine retire and Swap in something newer. I got a Good EL block in the Shed and a Freshly redone 95DT Head that's waiting to be put on a block. I think the EL swap will hold me over for a bit, and give me some time to work on a build I've been really thinking about.

Been thinking of an AU block, with the ported 95DT Head with a Snail, running through a T56. Leaving the look bone stock, but cleaned up and with a fresh coat.

"Bloody Yank"

Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:35 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

And THANK YOU!, to All of you guys who threw me some help here.

Aussie Fords are all new to me, The 4.0 E series Engine Doesn't exist back in the States, Sadly.
Neither Does the Barra.

Some of the Stuff I've learned owning Chevy's ( Actual Chevy's, not Commodores with Ebay Chev badges ) And Datto's and Dodges is the Same, but some things are not.

You Guys Are some good blokes, Hope to meet some of Ya's eventually on a cruise sometime.

"Bloody Yank"

Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Quote:
hen you say "learning Mode" do you mean using the alligators clips and grounding out the Plug under the steering wheel as the manual says to for timing adjustments?..

Yeah

Quote:
I made a Decison last night, I'm running down to a Mate's place and picking up a Low km El XR6 Engine, ecu, harness, and all the other odds and ends to drop straight in.

You will probably find the cause, which will be something REALLY simple after you change over :lol:

Quote:
Actual Chevy's, not Commodores with Ebay Chev badges

I call 'em "wanker badges"

Quote:
You Guys Are some good blokes, Hope to meet some of Ya's eventually on a cruise sometime.

No worries, just sorry all our combined knowledge couldn't help :?

Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Hey, at least it started...EL engine is sittin in the shed now...maybe I can do a full step by step swap with pics...maybe ai can do some good here.

"Bloody Yank"

Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:19 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: R34 GTR

VIC, Australia

You haven't even cleaned out the fuel lines yet!... and you're throwing in the towel??

LUMPY-6

Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:03 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

...this may be something simple and I don't think has been mentioned...was the inlet gasket put in the right way? If placed upside down, the gasket blocks the spray of the injector ports and dribbles fuel into the cylinder. I placed one of my gaskets upside down and it caused miss fire/bad idle issues until a fellow fordmodder noticed it.

Good luck with it!

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I have already mentioned that in my previous post and got no reply

Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:05 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

rod hansen wrote:
I have already mentioned that in my previous post and got no reply

Sorry, my bad

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The painful thing is that it often is something really simple: I had a problem where the engine would run for a bit, and then stop, no hear prime, leave for a few mins., hear prime and start, run for a bit, stop etc., etc,..........

Turned out to be a broken wire at the fuel pump, took me a month, and about $500 to find out :evil: :evil:

Fixed and runs like a new one now............. :wink:

Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:24 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Hey Guys, Sorry about the Delay on getting back to You,

Yes I'm sure I had that gasket setup Correctly, I think they only go one way anyway. I could be wrong, but the I made sure to match the one I pulled off with the one I put on exactly.

And yes, I did blow out the Fuel Lines, I did that when I changed the Fuel Filter with compressed air,
then ran fuel through both of them into a bucket to make sure I didnt leave any nasty sludge in them.

As for throwing in the towel on the XG Motor, yeah, I'm gonna just let it go,
I've been thinking about doing a swap for a while, and have a really nicely redone EF block and 95DT head sitting in the Shed I've been waiting for motivation to finish for a while. Just need a Some gaskets and a timing chain set.

I got an Awesome Deal on a full El XR6 setup, Engine/Wiring/ECU/Accessories/Dash Cluster etc. Might as well do it up. So I'll put the EF/95DT block /head together....Use the EL ECU, a mix of both the XG and EL Wiring Harness, and so on to Run it all.

"Bloody Yank"

Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Let us know how you get on :D

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next