Fordmods Logo

Headgasket leaking oil AGAIN?! (EL 6 Cylinder motor) 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Headgasket leaking oil AGAIN?! (EL 6 Cylinder motor)
Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

So it all started with the LHS of the head to block leaking oil,
Decided to get the head checked and a new gasket put on.
After getting the head machined, new VRS kit, and cleaning the block to the point where you could eat off it, I thought all was good.

Now the head to block is leaking at the rear RHS (oil coming out), and no its not the rocket gasket (already checked that )

Front of the head to block is bone dry.

I've summed it down to,

- Machined head wasn't done correctly
-Head gasket didn't seal correctly
- Block is warped

I cleaned the surface of the block very well,
Bought new head bolts and torqued them as specified,
head went into locating pins correctly..

Please any advice would be great as Im ripping my hair out.

Im ready to drive this car into port Phillip bay...
Cheers
- Ash

***** Standard bog stock EL 6 Cylinder motor on gas.

Sucessful trades with Schmee, Braidy, Niko, The_Ghost, YBHVE4, Stalker

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.

Post subject: Re: Headgasket leaking oil AGAIN?! (EL 6 Cylinder motor)
Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:33 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Might want to get the block checked to see if it's straight. Might be the problem. When the head was skimmed, was is it crack tested as well? The block doesn't have to be super super clean, just oil free, but it won't matter if the block isn't true.

Also I assume you used the VRS composite gasket. They are prone to fail but wouldn't think this soon, so might also be initial stuffed gasket...but that would be rare. If you plan on doing the head gasket again, I'd highly recommend the AU Multi-Layer Steel (MLS) gasket...original can be had from Ford still. Not sure on price, Papa Smurf might be able to tell you.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

How did you clean the block surface?
If you made a low spot on it, it may leak from there.
Did you use a monotourque VRS kit?

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

im currently going through a similar problem,i bought my car 1 1/2 years ago with a fully recon head and gasget off my mate $1500 just the head gasget and work with recipt, and now my head gasgets just given in the past month, im losing oil down the passenger side between the head and block, and i can smell exhaust gasses in the coolant tank with a pressure also being in the cooling system, i know how p****d off you must feel,

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yep, Basically cleaned it with a flat blade and light sandpaper...
yes used monotorque..i really should have gone for the MLS, but having said that it shouldn't have leaked instantly.
As for head, it wasn't pressure tested but the engine guy said it was fine, mildy warped nothing serious.

I guess the head bolts couldn't have been done up? even though i did it in sequence and used a Kinchrome Toruqie..

Whats werid is the leak was on the LHS of the block...
Did the head gasket and head..
Now its leaking at the Rear RHS of the block...front is bone dry..

Fustration to the max

CHeers
- Ash

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Did you tourque them to 40nm or whatever it is then go a further 90 degrees after?
A few of mine ended quite loose after they were all at the specified tourque. The 90degrees sorted it.
Monotourque are definantly not the best. How s**t is the exhaust manifold gasket. 2 pieces of foil...

Id take you're rocker cover off and check that the headbolts are done up propperly. First.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

are you supposed to check them again after a run in period and just check they are stil tight?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Not really needed.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

bry40l wrote:
are you supposed to check them again after a run in period and just check they are stil tight?

They are Stretch Bolts, you can't retension them once they are used.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yes torque to yeild.
In the OP's case tho if they are loose tightening them may get him out of trouble for a bit.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ahk
thanks

BF XR6

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xc wagon

QLD, Australia

Hi mate when ya do the head gasket again make sure surfaces are clean like really clean.Buy new bolts.Get the head skimmed.Tighten as per torque setting.Doeswnt matter if ya use montorque or not the head should be retensioned again.Take it from me I have done 5 headgaskets.

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:08 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

craigief wrote:
Hi mate when ya do the head gasket again make sure surfaces are clean like really clean.Buy new bolts.Get the head skimmed.Tighten as per torque setting.Doeswnt matter if ya use montorque or not the head should be retensioned again.Take it from me I have done 5 headgaskets.

...head bolts shouldn't need retightening after it has been tightened to the correct torque/angle. Head bolts are Torque-to-Yield (TTY) and can only be stretched once. If you tighten them further, you risk the chance of stretching the bolt beyond it's yield capabilities. By doing so the bolt now has lost it's maximum strength and can do more harm than good.

You may have done 5 head gaskets, but how many times have you done it without retightening and seen the head gasket blow? I have only done one head gasket change, so I may not have as much experience, but the one head gasket change I have done...without much mechanical knowledge and with the help of a book and fellow FM members, my engine still runs without any issues with a single tightening of the head bolts. Add to that it has seen red line without coolant due to coolant dump on the track and run for 2 years without any coolant...just distilled water.

Personally, I wouldn't want to touch the head bolts once they have been tightened to a specific torque and gone through hundreds of heat cycles.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

craigief wrote:

Hey mate, yep I did everything you've said, Cleaned with sandpaper and razor blade, used a airgun to blow all access water etc etc, purchased new head bolts, new VRS kit, sent the head off for machining and check, used a brand new torque wrench and did theem in sequence and did the 90 degree's after, I've done headgaskets before :p, this one has just got my stumped..

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
craigief wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't want to touch the head bolts once they have been tightened to a specific torque and gone through hundreds of heat cycles.

So i take it not to check the bolts and re tighten them?...I should buy new head bolts? new MLS gasket (Where to get it from?), and should I be using gasket sealant on the headgakset, as...insurance?
I've used sealant before when i rebuilt my 308 no harm done, just not sure about these engines.

cheers
- Ash

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next