Fordmods Logo

Home modded EF/AU Inlet, power increase!!!!!! 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:21 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU series 1 XR6

SA, Australia

can you repeat exactly what you did to the engine as id like to try it myself.
wont grinding down the butterflies make them weaker

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

djcustomcomputing wrote:
can you repeat exactly what you did to the engine as id like to try it myself.
wont grinding down the butterflies make them weaker

Hi mate, I would'nt worry about the valve thing I did, there is really bugger all restriction there anyway, I just had too much time on my hands, lol. I would say if you have you're inlet manifold off, maybe to cut the gasket between the head and manifold to size as it overlaps the inlet ports a bit which would'nt help. Just get yourelf a good air intake setup, eg. big air scoop, pod filter in the airbox, an xtra 3 or 4'' pipe in the side or front of the airbox and 3'' tube from the box to throttle body, or copy the BA setup I did, it works very well..

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU series 1 XR6

SA, Australia

well thants it im going to have all access to a mates car workshop with engine room for 4 days (work experience) and i wont have much else to do but take my car to bits. i dont think ill worry about the butterfly mod but the gastkets a definite go what about the depression and the vacume tube its a little hard to understand where your talking about also what did you use for the mould metal putty?

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[quote="djcustomcomputing"]well thants it im going to have all access to a mates car workshop with engine room for 4 days (work experience) and i wont have much else to do but take my car to bits. i dont think ill worry about the butterfly mod but the gastkets a definite go what about the depression and the vacume tube its a little hard to understand where your talking about also what did you use for the mould metal putty?[/quote

If you have time...the manifold has a big depression in the centre and on each side of it are the three ports with the butterflies. I just used a piece of tin as it was a trial a error thing I was giving a go. I cut the tin into a rectangle enough to cover the depression and then bent it slightly making a mild triangle shape. I used silicone under and around it to hold it in place. Just looking at the lower manifold, by doing this, the airflow is directed into the 3 inlet ports on each side in a more direct fashion than standard. The car gained alot better response, which I'm guessing may be because of this. To do it properly a piece of alloy and a more permanent way of attaching would be ideal. The tin gasket needs to be cut to fit around the triangular metal part added. I'm probably still hard to understand, lol. If you have you're plenum off, have a gander at you're manifold, then look at my dodgy pic and you will know what's goin on, lol.
Let us know how you go if you do it..Bear in mind I added BA induction, and cleaned my fuel system at the same time, so the herbal increase I got could well be attributed to this.

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

WA, Australia

I think your onto something cboz. I just picked up a spare BBM to port match and clean up and yes that depression in the lower half of the manifold has to to disrupt air flow. I think making the flow over this area better should be looked at more, I will be.

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

WagonDad wrote:
I think your onto something cboz. I just picked up a spare BBM to port match and clean up and yes that depression in the lower half of the manifold has to to disrupt air flow. I think making the flow over this area better should be looked at more, I will be.

yeah, I guess if you physically have the manifold in front of you and you consider the direction of air-flow down through the T-body, covering the depression and at the same time diverting the air into the 3 ports on each side, it seems pretty logical it should pick up at least some top end grunt. Respose was the main thing I noticed after doing this and smoothness under WOT. Let us know how you go mate if you give something similar a go.

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:25 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Futura

VIC, Australia

cboz wrote:
BA box and tube which has been done and seen before..

Did you pick that up at a wreckers or did you buy it somewhere?

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Kurfurst wrote:
cboz wrote:
BA box and tube which has been done and seen before..

Did you pick that up at a wreckers or did you buy it somewhere?

I got it from a bloke off FordForums..they're pretty common jiggers now.

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

WA, Australia

Found something interesting today while fitting some AU injectors. While the throttle body was off I shone a tourch into the BBM and there was a flat piece of metal covering the depression, has to be factory looks like it. 94DA is what most of the engine is so the manifold should be. The BBM I just picked up didn't have this but it was disassembled, the area where it should have been was realy clean so I rekon it had one. This plate should make a good base to build a better path for air flow even if it is only well fitted thin sheet metal raised in the middle to reduce turbulence.

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2